Held Thrux or other?

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, bought my first motorcycle at the bike show this winter and cant wait to get on it. starting to stock up on my gear so that the instant its nice enough to go out I can start practicing.
Ive already bought a Dainese Lucky leather jacket but am now looking for some gloves. IMO I want top notch riding gear to protect me as much as possible from the inevitable.
I work with my hands and they need to be 100% protected. (I can sand + paint cars without legs if I need, but my hands are VERY important)

After many reviews I started to go towards the Held Phantom gloves, Until I saw it would cost me close to 400 dollars to own them. WOW
So ive decided the Thrux models look like they would be sufficient, my only question is once im in this low of a price range would I be better off buying an Alpinestar or Icon Gauntlet?
Being a cheaper model im worried these held gloves may not be quite what everyone is raving about.

just how hot do they get compared to other gauntlets?
Thanks!

W

wrightme43

If it says Held it is quality. Its really just that simple. I have several different pairs of gloves, winter, summer, vented, cold weather, waterproof and such. I wear my helds when its really to cold, or really to hot just because they are just so exactly perfect feeling. Make sure you follow the sizing chart and you will be happy with anything they make.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply. if new enough had the akira id probably feel much better with them but alas, I still feel fairly confident with these.

Now the real choice is whether or not to get the Icon Field armor vest.. would that be overkill with the leather jacket (not a whole lot of armor in it) for $120 bucks it seems like a steal

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
"IMO I want top notch riding gear to protect me as much as possible from the inevitable."

If you feel it is ineveitable perhaps riding a motorcycle isn't for you.

Yes dress for the crash but many people ride their lives without one. Pratice Pratice!

Having said that you will get what you pay for.

I have 2 pairs of Held and really like them but if they are out of your price range now just get the best you can afford. Don't forget the pants, jacket and really good M/C boots.
It has taken me years to get good equipment and I still try to buy one piece of good gear each year.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
"IMO I want top notch riding gear to protect me as much as possible from the inevitable."

If you feel it is ineveitable perhaps riding a motorcycle isn't for you.

Yes dress for the crash but many people ride their lives without one. Pratice Pratice!

Having said that you will get what you pay for.

I have 2 pairs of Held and really like them but if they are out of your price range now just get the best you can afford. Don't forget the pants, jacket and really good M/C boots.
It has taken me years to get good equipment and I still try to buy one piece of good gear each year.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the double post.
The USA Held web site has the Phantom for $279.95

I just bought the Steve glove which is a fine glove for most riding.

Held is a fine glove no matter which model you buy, of course the Phantom is a better glove (it is a race glove). I would try them on if you can, every glove is different. My Steve's are a snug fit for a large.

The whole idea is to have good gear in hopes you won't ever need it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add something which I am sure you know.

A pair of gloves is much better than no gloves but you can get a pair to stand in, for not a huge amount of money and they will protect your hand.

Just as a side note. Almost all the gear we wear is to stop the skin being rubbed off us but it probably will not stop our bones from breaking.

In my accident I had all the gear on but still managed to snap both of my forearms and smash my right knee cap into pieces, even with knee pads.

Because it has a good name and a good reputation it means it will do the job but it should also last longer so you do not have to replace it so often. A cheaper model can also do the job just as well but needs replacing sooner.

Steve

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch.

I was wearing Held gloves when I low-sided last year. My hands were fine (collarbone wasn't). I replaced them since there was a small split in the seam around the thumb at the palm.

I forget what model they were (looked like the Thrux, but not gauntlet), but the leather felt more supple and they were more comfortable in general than the Alpinestars SP-1's that I wear now. I hope to get another pair of Held's someday, great gloves...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Not so long ago, they did a test here in Denmark, comparing "supermarket" motorcycle clothes to leading brands.
The conclusion on this test was that the difference (besides the price) would boil down to:

- Durability (Lifetime of Leading brands was longer)
- Comfort (Better comfort in leading brands)

Ergo,- no difference in safety.
I use "Leading brands", be course I do believe that comfort is a safety factor,
and I like my gear to last longer.

Last edited: