Gear indicator issues

Branded Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys. So I've got an 04 FZ6N and had a garage install one of the gear indicators so I can see what gear I'm in.
Problem is after install, when they selected calibration mode my bike shut down and won't restart ?
The unit has now been removed but the bike still refuses to start and sounds like it's misfiring when turning over...any ideas ???

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Without knowing what they actually did it would be hard to give accurate advice. Was it a new, known working gear indicator made for the FZ6? Are there any error codes? The calibration is calculated from engine rpm and wheel speed. If this unit looks at the CPS crankshaft position sensor and something happened on that circuit, it may be the reason you're having problems. That would show as a #12 error code.
Do you have a schematic/ installation guide?

Last edited:

Branded Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Without knowing what they actually did it would be hard to give accurate advice. Was it a new, known working gear indicator made for the FZ6? Are there any error codes? The calibration is calculated from engine rpm and wheel speed. If this unit looks at the CPS crankshaft position sensor and something happened on that circuit, it may be the reason you're having problems. That would shoe as a #12 error code.
Do you have a schematic/ installation guide?
Thanks for the reply buddy.
Yes it was for the FZ6, yes it's new and yes there is an installation guide, 2 plugs and 2 wires, a simple install and initially it all went well. On turning the back wheel manually the device indicated the wheel was turning, on starting the bike it started, backfired and died.
Since then it's it's all been taken off, checked, doubled checked and still nothing, it sounds like the timings out when trying to start it now.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply buddy.
Yes it was for the FZ6, yes it's new and yes there is an installation guide, 2 plugs and 2 wires, a simple install and initially it all went well. On turning the back wheel manually the device indicated the wheel was turning, on starting the bike it started, backfired and died.
Since then it's it's all been taken off, checked, doubled checked and still nothing, it sounds like the timings out when trying to start it now.
Could you post or point us to the install guide? Might be helpful to see what the garage was 'trying' to do, assuming that it was done wrong...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you are a winner of the unlucky lottery and something failed (CPS?) at the same time as the installation. If a sensor failed, there will be a code. If there is no code, then it could be as simple as a connector that is loose or has corrosion, or an inadvertent snipping of a wire.

Photos of the install would be helpful too.

Branded Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys. Thanks for your input...I've just got off the phone to the garage who have managed after going through the wiring loom, to get it running again. They think the fault was in the power commander, as when they disconnected it the bike started perfectly?
It's an odd one as I've had no previous issues so maybe something about the plug n play gear selector didn't agree with the power commander ?

skelly

Reaction score
Visit site
A mate had a Honda CBR1000 and had a Power Commander fitted, it ruined the bike, after the fit it was snatchy and thirsty and just awful to ride. Ditch the power commander.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Power Commander is a fuel management device. It will have a zero map to begin with. When you install one you might luck out with someone else's tuned map that was developed on a dyno but that's really a crap shoot. Power commanders have different models with some models not mapping lower rpm range because of the legality in keeping federal and state emission laws.
Fuel management devices can cure factory ecu fuel issues but were mainly developed for racing applications. This means you should have the bike tuned by a competent tuner. This will cost extra on top of the device. Some devices offer a self tuning device that you add. You can hardly emulate the map that would be developed on a dyno.
There is far more going on with fuel management than plug n play and we haven't even touched on timing....

skelly

Reaction score
Visit site
The Power Commander is a fuel management device. It will have a zero map to begin with. When you install one you might luck out with someone else's tuned map that was developed on a dyno but that's really a crap shoot. Power commanders have different models with some models not mapping lower rpm range because of the legality in keeping federal and state emission laws.
Fuel management devices can cure factory ecu fuel issues but were mainly developed for racing applications. This means you should have the bike tuned by a competent tuner. This will cost extra on top of the device. Some devices offer a self tuning device that you add. You can hardly emulate the map that would be developed on a dyno.
There is far more going on with fuel management than plug n play and we haven't even touched on timing....
Yep totally agree, and that I think is what happened to my mates bike, he thought it just plugged in (technically it did) but settings like o2 sensors, vacuum and velocities etc were not re-tuned, he just had some garage fit it and not dyno and re-map it, in the end he just sold the bike and bought a different bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep totally agree, and that I think is what happened to my mates bike, he thought it just plugged in (technically it did) but settings like o2 sensors, vacuum and velocities etc were not re-tuned, he just had some garage fit it and not dyno and re-map it, in the end he just sold the bike and bought a different bike.
He probably could have just unplugged it and kept the bike although there may have been other unresolved issues that were causing a common problem.