Front Turn Signal Mod

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, decided to do a little front turn signal mod to the old FZ6. If you are into riding with MAX visibility, you probably will not be into this mod. If you are like me, and a minimalist and prefer the less is more bike, you might dig it. So I will through it out for public debate…

Want to start with, I am far, far, far from a wrench, especially when it comes to electric. I love me some black tape!!!

Okay, I think the total mod cost me 14 bucks.

First I ordered the small turn signals for around 14 bucks from ebay. They are about 1-1/2 long X ½ wide and took around 2 and a half weeks to arrive.
When they arrived, I took the white plastic nut off and spray painted them black.

Next, I remove the stock turn signals. Actually they come off easy. There is clip that holds the light on the bracket and that comes off easily with a pry of a flat head screw driver.

The stock light has a plastic connector that connects to a connection on the bike. So, as scary as it was, I had to cut the wires on the old turn signals, so I could reuse the connection.

The biggest issue when switching the lights was the once the stock lights were removed, it left a pretty big hole on the mounting bracket. One nice size washer seemed to cure that.

The new light fit right into place and with the now black nut and washer, mounted directly to the bracket. Be cautious when tightening the nut, this is a 14 dollar plastic Hong Kong special, so be gentle.

Once on, I spliced the wires, (right is black to black, green to yellow: left is black to black, brown to yellow), from the new light to a cut piece from the old light that had the connector.

Okay, now the issue that most will not like. May new lights are only turn signals, not running lights. There is a blue wire on the stock for running lights, and I didn’t use.

Once on and spliced, I plugged back into the stock connection and bam, had little turn signals.

Like I said, not a mod for everyone, but I think it looks cleaner…
Thanks. Pieces Out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats funny I had the exact same ones on my old Ninja. They are actually not that bad for cheap signals!

View attachment 41462

I really didnt take alot of pics of my Kawi but you can kind of see them. I think you are the only person to put flush mounts on an 07+. Looks good!

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been tossing around the idea of flush mounts on my 07 for a little while now but just didn't know how they would look. Thanks for the pics - I just replaced my rear lights and wanted to do something with my front ones next

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Signals look really good, but ouch! I didn't like this pic:- :spank:
41446d1334273303-front-turn-signal-mod-img_1286.jpg

You can buy adapters on Ebay etc that let you plug any signals into the stock loom without having to destroy your stock signals. Then you can keep them in case you need them or sell them! You can see the ones I use here. I put my stock rear signals on when touring so I didn't wanna hack them up.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
One solution is to have your front LEDs constantly lit (blue w/ red tracer wire) and when you put your directional signal on the LED blinks and is a turn indicator.

See PDF to make your own relay assemblies or you can buy them complete here. Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

Yeah, that's probably the proper way. Our bikes have a unique wiring arrangement that allows a much simpler solution that takes advantage of the diode's ability to be used as a switch.

There are three wires on the stock plug. One is the 12vDC for the running light. One is the 12vDC for the turn signal, and the last is ground. The turn signal line is grounded between the battery and the plug. (This is because the lights are "always on" on a motorcycle so it's simpler to just design a switching assembly for ground. We call them flashers.) Now, ground is ground. It doesn't care which "side" the electricity comes from or it's polarity. So if you hooked up your 12vDC running light wire to one side, and the 12vDC turn signal wire to the other, your lights will turn on. Now when the turn signal comes on, both sides of the diode (or LED in this case) are subjected to a 12vDC signal. As long as the turn signal voltage doesn't exceed knee voltage (most LED's knee voltage is in the 12 to 24VDC range with a few lower), then the lack of potential on both sides of the semi-conductor gate causes the electricity to stop flowing. In other words, light turns off.

This is kind of a hack... You should probably check the knee voltage on your LEDs, but if they don't turn off when the blinker is on, turn the blinker off ASAP and never do that again with those LEDs. LEDs tend to react spectacularly to reverse voltages above the knee voltage. It's probably going to work, but if it blows up your LEDs, don't come crying to me. ;) You've been warned.

I'd probably just use a relay if concerns about saving the LEDs give you pause, unless you're up to building a properly switching SCR circuit on DC. (if you don't know what one is... you're not. I do know what one is, and I'm not up to it.)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:
Yeah, that's probably the proper way. Our bikes have a unique wiring arrangement that allows a much simpler solution that takes advantage of the diode's ability to be used as a switch.

There are three wires on the stock plug. One is the 12vDC for the running light. One is the 12vDC for the turn signal, and the last is ground. The turn signal line is grounded between the battery and the plug. (This is because the lights are "always on" on a motorcycle so it's simpler to just design a switching assembly for ground. We call them flashers.) Now, ground is ground. It doesn't care which "side" the electricity comes from or it's polarity. So if you hooked up your 12vDC running light wire to one side, and the 12vDC turn signal wire to the other, your lights will turn on. Now when the turn signal comes on, both sides of the diode (or LED in this case) are subjected to a 12vDC signal. As long as the turn signal voltage doesn't exceed knee voltage (most LED's knee voltage is in the 12 to 24VDC range with a few lower), then the lack of potential on both sides of the semi-conductor gate causes the electricity to stop flowing. In other words, light turns off.

This is kind of a hack... You should probably check the knee voltage on your LEDs, but if they don't turn off when the blinker is on, turn the blinker off ASAP and never do that again with those LEDs. LEDs tend to react spectacularly to reverse voltages above the knee voltage. It's probably going to work, but if it blows up your LEDs, don't come crying to me. ;) You've been warned.

I'd probably just use a relay if concerns about saving the LEDs give you pause, unless you're up to building a properly switching SCR circuit on DC. (if you don't know what one is... you're not. I do know what one is, and I'm not up to it.)

The signal voltage would have to turn into a ground when the the flasher signal is not present for forward conduction on the LED. I believe it just floats with no potential. (This may vary with the type of flasher you use) Why a Slicone Controlled Rectifier?. The relay is very simple and forgiving. If you're going to make thousands then you might go solid state if there was economic feasibility but I think those little magic relays are as cheap as you can get for that type of switching unless you just want to build your own. That was the idea on posting the schematic.:D

Also you don't need to worry about peak inverse voltage if you should have 12volt potential on each side of the LED. The peak inverse will be much much higher in order to cause reverse current.. In other words 12+ VDC----->/------ 12+ VDC = no peak inverse. Same potential!

I need more electrical tape!

Last edited:

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
One solution is to have your front LEDs constantly lit (blue w/ red tracer wire) and when you put your directional signal on the LED blinks and is a turn indicator.

See PDF to make your own relay assemblies or you can buy them complete here. Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire
Looks light they might be using a FET? (Can make the 3 wires to 2 wires and really cheap compared to that price.)

would a FET (Field Effect Transistor) P-Channel work?

I have been researching it for several hours. Basically its the opposite of a regular transistor. When you put voltage on it, it STOPS current. So basically use the Turn Signal wire to stop current thus shutting off the light on and off every time it blinks. You can connect it either on the ground side or the blue wire. You still need a load on the turn signal wire. Any thoughts?
DUZm30z.png
hook up pod lights before the FET for running lights?

Sorry for the messiness of this post and bump. I am very sleepy and this came up in my head.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks light they might be using a FET? (Can make the 3 wires to 2 wires and really cheap compared to that price.)

would a FET (Field Effect Transistor) P-Channel work?

I have been researching it for several hours. Basically its the opposite of a regular transistor. When you put voltage on it, it STOPS current. So basically use the Turn Signal wire to stop current thus shutting off the light on and off every time it blinks. You can connect it either on the ground side or the blue wire. You still need a load on the turn signal wire. Any thoughts?
hook up pod lights before the FET for running lights?

Sorry for the messiness of this post and bump. I am very sleepy and this came up in my head.

I think it's a great idea. The only caution is it being a solid state device it might be less forgiving in certain situations unless you design it with current limiting or with a junction so robust it doesn't care. That's sort of why I like the relay. If you decide to design this you won't need to worry about a load on the flasher if you switch to an electronic type flasher.

transistors - Switching DC with MOSFET: p-Channel or n-Channel; Low Side Load or High Side Load? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright I'll go ahead and try this and bench test it. I'll use a higher load to make sure it won't over heat or just **** out.
And also I will need to find a cheap electronic flasher.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I beat Motogiro to the punch, I was turned on to this one by him. Works great and mounts to your left inside front fender where the existing relay is.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/42693-electronic-flasher-relays-great-price.html

Alright looks good thanks!

I'm also adding flush turn signals via led strips in the rear (also in the same strip red for the brake lights.) but keeping the actual turn signals until I get the integrated taillight.

barringtb

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first post here, and this is my first mod to my FZ6. I bought the same LED signals and I have them connected to a relay. My problem is that when I plug the lights into the bike, they light up, but they don't signal (even when I hit the hazards). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Parts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221237004899?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Universal Resistors for LED Turn Signal Flash Control GSXR TL SV CBR RR ZX YZF | eBay

12V DC Micro Relay 5 Pin 30 Amp Changeover Relay ISO Footprint | eBay

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first post here, and this is my first mod to my FZ6. I bought the same LED signals and I have them connected to a relay. My problem is that when I plug the lights into the bike, they light up, but they don't signal (even when I hit the hazards). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Parts:

Universal Resistors for LED Turn Signal Flash Control GSXR TL SV CBR RR ZX YZF | eBay

:welcome:to our great family!
You don't need the load resistors so get rid of them. The relay coil gets a ground on one lead and the flasher signal goes to the other coil lead. The running light signal goes through the relay, normally closed contacts. When the flasher operated the coil is activated and the NC relay contacts are opened which turn the light off for the period of time the flasher voltage is present. Recheck your wiring. You're also doing this with a relay for each light? :) Have you changed over to and electronic flasher? The OEM flasher may not want to fire just the coils. In the OEM flasher case the resistors would be wired between the coil input to ground.

Any local motorcycle shop should have an electronic type flasher or get one here for a great price. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/42693-electronic-flasher-relays-great-price.html

Again if you go with an electronic flasher just get rid of the resistors...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks!

Parts:

Did this poster ever resolve the issue? :confused: