Buell Footpeg Mod

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Some time back, this thread included discussion of the Buell footpeg mod. I'm posting this to report my experience in case anyone is considering this mod. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it, just want to make sure anyone considering it has as much information as possible.

This mod calls for mounting a footpeg intended for the Buell XB9 (I think) on the FZ6. The Buell peg has an offset in it to lower the pegs approximately 1" from the stock position. There are couple of issues with using them on the FZ6: the mounting holes are larger than the stock pegs, and the pegs need to have some metal removed to make them fit the FZ6. Recently I found a co-worker with a metal lathe to fabricate some bushings to adapt the stock mounting pin diameter to the larger hole size on the peg. As for removing metal, for the sake of the following discussion, I will refer to the parts of the peg through which the pin goes to hold it on the bike as flanges. The outside to outside flange dimension on the Buell peg seems a lot larger than the stock peg. The top surface is pretty easy to work, as it is unobstructed by the other parts of the peg. The bottom surface is more difficult as it is blocked on two sides, but I was able to work it down using a hacksaw, files, and a 1/8" metal cutting bit for my rotary tool. While working on the peg, I decided to look for the thread that had given me the idea. I found it, with discussion from pedge1 about removing material to make the pegs fit. Then I found a later message from pedge1 in another thread (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17600-how-many-miles-before-you-started-modding-3.html#post269287) in which he stated that one of his Buell pegs had broken. I contacted him to ask if he thought that it broke due to the amount of metal that needs to be removed. He kindly replied very quickly, with a “yes – but, I weigh xxx lbs so if you weigh less it may not be a problem.” I replied back that I weighed less, he said it would probably be OK for me and said the pegs make a big difference in comfort, so I pressed ahead. Rather than take the Buell peg all the way down to the same outside flange dimension as the stock peg, I decided to take it down only enough to get it to fit on the bike as there is a little play with the stock peg.

Attached is a photo of the completed right-side peg (on the left in the picture) next to the unmodified left-side peg (on the right) to show how much material needs to be removed. Also shown are the bushings (top photo) and the stock peg (bottom) for comparison. The measurements are shown on the picture, repeated below for reference:

Stock peg flange thickness: approx. 0.235 inches (approximate because the jaws of my micrometer won’t fit between the flanges)
Stock peg outside flange to flange dimension: 0.785 inches
Buell peg unmodified flange thickness: approx 0.220 inches
Buell peg unmodified outside flange to flange dimension: 0.968 inches
Buell peg modified flange thickness: approx 0.137 inches
Buell peg modified outside flange to flange dimension that does just fit: 0.802 inches
(Sorry to all you metric folks for the SAE units.)

Bottom line, I had to remove about 38% of the flange thickness (0.220” reduced to 0.137”) to make the pegs fit. There is still a fair amount of thickness, but based on pedge1’s experience I am still a little concerned. I do plan to install them based on pedge1’s praise of the comfort they provide, but I will probably carry my stock pegs with me in case one of the Buell pegs should break while out on a ride.

Best regards,
Jeff

Last edited: