'88 FZ600 Carb float pin stuck problem

Meattrain13

Reaction score
Visit site
How's it going this is my first thread on this forum. I recently Got a 1988 FZ600 for free from my neighbors all had to do was dig it out from under there deck.

I had it running half decent at idle but have had problems with the needle valves not sealing most likely due to the amount of junk in the fuel tank.

My immediate problem is that I can't get the pins that hold the float on out. Ive never came across this problem with bikes in the past I'm guessing because they were newer but I'm not sure. I don't wanna break the aluminum and I don't wanna risk burning a hole in the float if I don't have to any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is a video of my exact problem:
1988 Yamaha FZ600 Motorcycle Carb problem - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kogILK_XEN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the video, it appears the pin(s) are pushed in from one side SPECIFICALLY, as it looks like one side is larger with notches(to keep the pin from moving about).

If this is the case, just gently tap the float pin from the narrow end and it should pop out. If you want to soak it with penetrating oil wouldn't hurt.

Looking at the video a second time, seems the outside carbs (either side) need the pins pushed outwards as I do see a head on that float pin(on one side and not the other). Should pop right out in the correct direction.

I suspect you'll have more problems removing the jets, etc as they really like to seize in there.. The needle valves and likely the seats are worn allowing fuel to keep flowing. Also, once the floats are off, immerse them in fluid and check for any air leaks. If their leaking and filling with fuel, they'll stay open too...

Please post your results AND

:welcome: to the forum!

Last edited: