How to remove this?

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, bought a lowering link for bike, brought to a friend of mine and we got the shock off now trying to get this part off.....
20171230_114431[1].jpg
Compressed the spring and was turning the eye but the shaft is turning with it. Tried grabbing the shaft with some vise grips but no go. Any suggestions?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never that off but I suspect Yamaha put their really good LOCTITE to hold that fitting on the shaft.

Heat applied directly to the area should help break it loose...

Of course, keep the main shock cool (with a wet rag).

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read other threads where people have gotten that off to put the lowering link on there but nobody ever says how. Have some PB Blaster type stuff on it, maybe that will loosen it up a bit...I hope

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike is not at my house right now. Had put the PB Blaster on it yesterday before you mentioned the heat. Hoping the PB will work but if not will try the heat like you said. Had taken off the rear tire to get to the shock better and didn't want to put it all back together...I wouldn't be riding this week anyway. Thanks for the heat suggestion!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you've ever replaced the winding assembly under the left cover, Yamaha uses a Loctite on those 3 little screws.

They WON'T COME OUT without using a heat gun (used on the cover right next to where the screws go into)... That stuff is really HD!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, heat did the trick! Thanks again! Any idea what other stand will fit the bike but it a little bit shorter?

Figured the heat would do it.. Hope you put some RED Loctite back on when re-installing..

You mean the factory side stand (shorter) for a lowered bike?

Don't know of any available on-line.

I have shortened another members side stand about 3/4" for his lowered bike. Basically cut the "pad" off, shorten the shaft 3/4" and MIG weld back together.

Last edited: