Firstgear Thermo one-piece suit review(+ other cold gear.)

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
FirstGear Thermo 1-Piece Waterproof Suit - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

Just purchased this suit after reading great reviews. My local shop had it in stock so I was able to try it on before buying it. I am 5'10" 165lbs. and have an average build with a 32" waist. The medium fit me great with plenty of room for layers underneath.

This suit is freaking awesome! Normally I have to throw on my thermal pants and shirt, my jeans, my long-sleeve thicker shirt, then my mesh riding pants and mesh jacket that both have wind/waterproof liners. This worked fairly well into the low 50's and maybe upper 40's, but I would still be a tad cold and felt drafts at highway speeds. This morning it was 38* and threw on the firstgear suit and man! what a difference! Yea you look like a messed up gumby, but this thing is WARM. I had just a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve shirt on and I was warm and toasty and not once uncomfortable. It is VERY easy to put on with the legs having zippers all the way up to the waist and the top has a zipper down to the waist. Easy to put on with some layers and even boots already on. Another bonus is that it is waterproof. For how cheap you can get it and how well it is made and how warm you get, I can't see how this can be passed up. :thumbup:

I also purchased a pair of Bikers glove liners and a balaclava. The liners add a great deal of warmth to my hands and feel good under my gloves and the balaclava is incredibly good. It stops ALL wind and keeps you warm!!

UNDERGLOVES *>> UNDERGLOVE DOUBLE 0: * BIKERS Comfort in Action
BALACLAVAS *>> ST-WIND PLUS: * BIKERS Comfort in Action

B

bluenova

It is just a rain suit? I.e. do you need to wear riding gear underneath it, I see you only wore jeans, is that because the suit has protection built in?
One thing I hate in the winter is getting all the layers of gear on and off as I go to and from work, would be great to have a 1 piece winter suit.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
No it does not have any protection built in. I am going to be getting some cheap elbow and knee pads and throwing those on. I also hated throwing on layers of clothing and gear on and off and this is easy to just jump into and go.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya layers are a pain, but I am used to it as I ride to work daily. that suit doesn't seem to have any protection and even they question the suit in their detailed description :

"100% waterproof 210 Denier? Hypertex?"

not sure that hypertex is even as good as textile but this thing although warm seems to be nothing more than a snomobile suit sold to motorcyclist.

it I were to wear this I would probabally also use armor like this:
Cycle Gear - ALPINESTARS Bionic Protection Jacket BLACK/RED: Bionic Protection Jacket, BLACK/RED

and something else for my knees and other areas.

good luck with that suit, one of the challenges I face is staying warm enough to use the controls effectively - but regardless of the weather the harshness of the pavement never changes.