Headlights and the alternatives

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've come to the conclusion the stock bulbs are mediocre...
I also want both lights to come on during Lowbeam, so when I change my bulbs I would probably do this as well
I have read that aftermarket HID's are also illegal.
Getting Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs only last about 30% as long as stock bulbs...WHAT DO?!

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I started with the dual headlight mod. I liked it, but I ride a lot at night and wanted more light. I ended up retrofitting hid projectors. Best thing I ever did to the bike.

Putting an HID bulb into a halogen reflector is illegal, dumb, unsafe, and results in less usable light. I'm not 100% sure about the legality of retrofitting projectors, but if you do it correctly and use hid projectors you get tons of usable light and don't attract any unwanted attention. Even if it's technically illegal, you end up with light output that is within legal limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I really want to add HID projectors, I was just concerned if someone (the popo) would give me crap for it. You are correct about putting HID bulbs in Halogen reflectors though...incredibly stupid.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I know, so long as xenon bulbs are in a proper enclosure (projectors), its legal. Retrofitted or stock.

I have modified the headlights in my car and never been bothered by the 5-0 about them.

Last edited:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I really want to add HID projectors, I was just concerned if someone (the popo) would give me crap for it. You are correct about putting HID bulbs in Halogen reflectors though...incredibly stupid.

If you're not blinding other drivers they won't give you any problems. For all they know it's stock anyway. Mine look so good you could swear they came from Yamaha like that. It might even be legal, I'm not really sure, but I know it's safer for me, and it's not dangerous for anyone else, so it was a very worthwhile upgrade to me :).

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you guys install HID Projectors? Can you reccomend any? Did you install them yourselves or have someone else do it for you [I am somewhat daunted by this DIY because it involves cutting]

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you guys install HID Projectors? Can you reccomend any? Did you install them yourselves or have someone else do it for you [I am somewhat daunted by this DIY because it involves cutting]

We have a member of the forum that always seems to give great advice about HID retrofits and he offers the work as a service. I did not do them yet, but I asked him an honest question and he gave me an honest answer. With that to go on, I recommend you reach out to him for some input.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/45691-affordable-hid-retrofitting-services.html

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I retrofit Zackattack784's projectors.

They are Morimoto Mini H1 projectors from here: Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

You have to heat and remove the headlight lenses, remove the internal reflectors, mount the projectors using the special adapters that come with them, trim the reflector edge enough to clear the shroud/bezel, mount them securely, test aim them at night and adjust the rotation until the both match. These projectors are a PERFECT fit in the FZ6 headlight! Highly recommended.

PM me for details if you need help!

As for the legality of HID projectors, it varies depending on where you are but I have had retrofit projectors in my car, truck and FZ6 since 2007-2009 and never once have I been pulled over for them or failed safety inspection because of them. No cops have even asked about them. If they look OEM and aren't blinding to oncoming cars you are good to go.

Last edited:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read, both forum members that offer HID retrofitting services do great work. As Fizzer6 mentioned, he did mine with the morimoto mini H1 projectors and I couldn't be happier. They seriously look OEM. He even added pod lights in for me when he had my headlight assembly.

Go HID, you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk