Speedo giving incorrect reading

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Reset Speedo?? HELP

Hi my speedo has been giving incorrect readings for the last week. it happened after I washed it with a pressure hose. I was being careful not to get the electrics wet.

when stationary the speedo shows like 12 mph. when doing speeds of 70-80mph I know it is showing a much lower reading in relation to the gear and rpm range the bike is in.
Also when i rev the bike in neutral the mph reading increases.

Is their any way of resetting the ECU / computer or anything like that??

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi my speedo has been giving incorrect readings for the last week. it happened after I washed it with a pressure hose. I was being careful not to get the electrics wet.

when stationary the speedo shows like 12 mph. when doing speeds of 70-80mph I know it is showing a much lower reading in relation to the gear and rpm range the bike is in.
Also when i rev the bike in neutral the mph reading increases.

Is their any way of resetting the ECU / computer or anything like that??

Hi Aid,
You might want to change the heading to this post as it may be slightly misleading.
There is tons of info on the standard speedo error which is of course not what your after.
I will have a look to see where the speedo sensor is.
some people have reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery.

Good luck,

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Neil!

Pretty annoying! Hope its an easy fix :thumbup:

Aid
The speedo sensor is located on the right hand side of the stator under a rubber boot.
Have you got a Haynes manual?

Neil

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a haynes manual. is it a case of disconnecting and checking for dirt or water??

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a haynes manual. is it a case of disconnecting and checking for dirt or water??

Good stuff, check out chapter 4 the volt check you can do with the ignition off whilst spinning the rear off the ground.

Neil

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff, check out chapter 4 the volt check you can do with the ignition off whilst spinning the rear off the ground.

Neil

Hey neil how are ya?
Was servicing the bike today took off the tank, cleaned air filter disconnected the battery,

but unfortunately that didnt reset the speedo. I must read up on ch 4 of the haynes manual :Flash:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aid,
You might check the plug/s that your instrument cluster plugs into. Pull it apart, rinse it out with fresh water then blow dry it with compressed air. I would do this at any plugs that may have gotten wet. If there is salt there is conductivity between signals in the harness that usually occur at the plugs.
Happy hunting! :)

Last edited: