Front Running Light Out

tentativetheory

Reaction score
Visit site
My right front running light stopped turning on. The turn signal works fine, i.e. it blinks when I hit the turn signal switch or the hazards but it doesn't light up when I turn the bike on. Left running light works fine.

I tried changing the bulb, problem persisted. What is the next thing I should check?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you replace the light with the 1157 dual filament type lamp? Is the lamp clocked in the socket correctly? I've seen people get them in 180 degrees out.
Also are both filaments in the new lamp good?
Many times people are unaware that the front signal lamps are dual filament while the rear are a single filament.
If you have used the dual filament the next step would be to see if the wires have unplugged. The wire color you're looking for is blue with a red tracer. This is the running light color code. You may have to get one of those cheap 12 volt test lights to see where the voltage has stopped.

If both the directional and running light don't work, you've may have lost the ground. That will be a black wire.

Keep us informed!:D

tentativetheory

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's not the bulb; the new bulb has two filaments. I also tried taking the bulb out of the left lamp fixture because I know that one has two working filaments (since the left side running light works fine) and put it in the right lamp. No good. I wish I had thought to do this before buying a new bulb.

I'll pick up a test light on the way home from work and check the wires. Thanks!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember also that if you touch the bulb with your fingers (how else would you touch it, right?) make sure you wipe it off with alcohol before you reinstall it.

tentativetheory

Reaction score
Visit site
Light will have to wait until tomorrow, heh. Broke down on the way home today. Engine shut off on the freeway and wouldn't turn on again. Display was blank. Luckily I was close to an off ramp on a downhill gradient so I got off pretty easily.

I lifted the tank and noticed that the screw holding down one of the battery leads had rattled loose. I must have not tightened it sufficiently the day before when I was doing the dual headlight mod. I also think the buzzing and added vibrations were due to the airbox not being seated correctly. Taking that off and putting it on again now.

tentativetheory

Reaction score
Visit site
Found the problem. The blue wire has power, but its not secure in the lamp fixture. When the bulb is inserted, it pushes the blue wire out of place. Ordered a new turn signal fixture since I didn't see any other way to fix it other than to swap out the whole thing.