Total N00B question...please help

seaFAZE

Reaction score
Visit site
Like the title says, I'm fairly new to riding, just bought my faze, and am wondering about RPM's on the freeway. I would like to keep the beast in it's powerband, arount 6k-10k while riding. My question is, will that harm the engine? Should I keep the revs low sometimes while cruising?

Thanks FZ6 forum peeps.:confused:

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
When Im on a highway I try to keep it the highest gear, mainly for gas milage,
My sits around 6K at 65 70 mph. plus I dont think is bad for to sit there, these engines are designed for high revs

oh and welcome to the community

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can keep it at 9-10k all day every day. As long as you keep up with maintenance it won't harm the bike one bit.

seaFAZE

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and welcomes! I'm glad I don't have to be paranoid about those nice sounding revs.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Give her hell! Keep up with maintenance and tire pressure! I only use 6th gear if I'm on the open interstate and cruising. Other than that I like to ride between 6k-10k. If you need to jump on it and pass someone or keep yourself alive when a cager does something stupid in front of you! ATTGAT!!:welcome:

WhizzBang

Hot FZ6 Lovin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure why you'd 'want' to keep the bike revving high while cruising? I tend not to have an itchy throttle finger while cruising! If I need to give it a blatt at short notice I just knock it down a couple. But I'm finding the gearing a bit short for my ~60-70% highway commute, something a bit taller so it sits on about 5000 at 120km/hr / 75mph would be good. But then once I hit the twisties on the weekends I'd be cursing it all the way to the top...so not real sure which way to go yet.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure why you'd 'want' to keep the bike revving high while cruising? I tend not to have an itchy throttle finger while cruising! If I need to give it a blatt at short notice I just knock it down a couple. But I'm finding the gearing a bit short for my ~60-70% highway commute, something a bit taller so it sits on about 5000 at 120km/hr / 75mph would be good. But then once I hit the twisties on the weekends I'd be cursing it all the way to the top...so not real sure which way to go yet.

How else are you going to cruise at 110mph lol

WhizzBang

Hot FZ6 Lovin'
Reaction score
Visit site
How else are you going to cruise at 110mph lol

Yes point taken!:Flash:

However... what I mean is I would rather 'cruise' at lower revs than purposefully 'keep' the bike revving high-ish just so's I have the scalded cat clawing at the door. I would rather wake it when I need it.

Hence I'm thinking of getting taller gearing to suit my majority highway commute, but it's a bit early in the piece yet. Just feels to me like it's quite busy for a fairly sedate 120km/hr, about 30% higher than my cruiser.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It's an in line 4, they like to be busy. There will be more buz than a cruiser due to a higher reving motor. Give it some time and you will get used to it.