Pilot power 2ct

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so my choice of tires is narrowing. I am considering the pilot road 2ct, the powers 2ct and dunlop qualifiers. I found a super deal on the powers and was wondering how many miles you all are getting on a set. I ride moderately which is to say I like to lean it over in curves but nothing really too aggressive. Having a little extra stickiness is probably never a bad thing but was hoping these tires would provide decent mileage.

check out these prices:
180/55ZR-17 (73W) Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT Rear Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDe...ockId=172189&prodFamilyId=20816#vehicleSelect

Free shipping too!

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
With the style of of riding you described I would suggest for $15.00 more you can get a Pilot Road 2 from derbycycle.net.
You will get many more miles from the PR2's and they will stick just fine.
Now if you were doing track days the Power would be the better tire

mawebb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not had personal experience with the Michelin series, but from speaking with others that have, you can't go wrong. The Pilot Road will give you longer life due to the harder rubber compound. The 2CT version, uses a softer compound on the sides of the tread, so they will give you good cornering capabilities. I have read the that the complete Pilot series are all great in wet road conditions.

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
I also bought the Power 2 CT's from Jake Wilson. Great price, came quickly. I had no problems with Jake Wilson.

I have put over 5000 miles on these tires and there is considerable wear. While there is plenty of tread left, I am near the wear indicators on the edges of some of the center treads. I think this is because I have spent most of my miles on highways and I believe they tend to eat tires.

There have also been about 3 incidents in which during slightly harder than normal braking the back tires locked up. Now, I'm not heavy with the rear brakes, so I think this is due to shifting too much weight up front. I've also had the tires to get a little squirrely when downshifting.

I am fastidious about checking tire pressure before riding and adjusting before and after riding two up. I only have about 400 miles riding 2 up on these tires.

I thought riding in the rain would be an issue because of the tread design and the amount of smooth tire surface, but I rode 8 hours in heavy to light rain with no problems.

The handling is great as long as you stay off loose stuff like leaves, sand and gravel.

I would recommend them, but I would have liked to have gotten more miles before seeing this kind of wear.

HTH
Tom

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got around 16,000 on my last set of 2CT's until I picked up a freakin nail on the back tire, otherwise I could have stretched it out to 20k. See link below. I currently have over 11,000 miles on my current set.

The key is proper tire pressure & I'm not a heavy person as far as weight. Maybe 170 with gear. I don't baby my tires, but again I don't do burn outs.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/17192-my-pillot-powers-coming-end.html

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't sing the praises of the Pilot Road 2CT enough. I had a set fitted about 5 months ago in the depth of winter and they have been FAULTLESS since. I'm talking excellent grip, from cold, in the wet, to the extent that the first time I got a peg down on the FZ was in the wet on these tyres...

As for grip/wear check out the pics. No chicken lines and 7000miles covered. Reckon they're good for another 5000 at least :BLAA:

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Both the Road and Road 2 are wonderful. Road 2 will last longer though. I did get 16K+ out of my first Road rear tire. The power is good to but really made for more aggressive riding than you desribe and won't last quite as long. No idea on the Dunlops you mention.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought the Pilot Power 2ct's this season, and as I can't comment yet on how long they will last, I can say that they blow the stock Bridgestone Battleax's out of the water.

The tires feel like they're glued to the ground at times :spank:

No regrets, fantastic tires.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
next thursday I am going to install a set of new PP2ct's.

Now I'm running on Metzeler Z1(front) and Z6(rear)
don't know why the previous owner would drive 2 different tyres...

the front tire hasn't got a lot of grip, therefore the PP2ct's :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to buy pilot powers. They are amazing and will ALWAYS have more grip than I ever need and warm up so fast even on cold rainy days. I then bought a pair of pilot roads. They also have never given me any issues with grip except having a bit less grip initially because they take longer to warm up.

But why did I swap to the Roads? Because You literally go through Pilot powers like youre riding on butter. Highway travel will see you lose all the rubber down the middle of the bike if you live in an area like I do which has no corners. The rubber is much softer and I was going through a set of tires a month sometimes.

But I am changing back to the pilot powers next tire change. I should only need to do one tire change after that before the season ends, so it is in the budget.

I like the extra confidence, even if it's just in my head. but they are way softer and better tires. You can see for yourself if you poke your fingernails into the rubber on each. At the end of the day it's up to you. But unless you've got bad riding habits or are a very high calibre rider, the pilot roads are way more than enough grip for you. Just warm them up before you rail on them. They do not warm up right away like the pilot powers. But they last way longer.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to buy pilot powers. They are amazing and will ALWAYS have more grip than I ever need and warm up so fast even on cold rainy days. I then bought a pair of pilot roads. They also have never given me any issues with grip except having a bit less grip initially because they take longer to warm up.

But why did I swap to the Roads? Because You literally go through Pilot powers like youre riding on butter. Highway travel will see you lose all the rubber down the middle of the bike if you live in an area like I do which has no corners. The rubber is much softer and I was going through a set of tires a month sometimes.

But I am changing back to the pilot powers next tire change. I should only need to do one tire change after that before the season ends, so it is in the budget.

I like the extra confidence, even if it's just in my head. but they are way softer and better tires. You can see for yourself if you poke your fingernails into the rubber on each. At the end of the day it's up to you. But unless you've got bad riding habits or are a very high calibre rider, the pilot roads are way more than enough grip for you. Just warm them up before you rail on them. They do not warm up right away like the pilot powers. But they last way longer.

What sort of milage have you been getting out of the Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Road 2CT? My last set of Pilot Power 2CTs lasted 10,000 KM (6,000 miles)... I'm currently running BT-016 and they are similar tires, but I'll be lucky if I get much more than 8,000 KM (4,800 miles) out of them. I really love the Pilot Power 2CT and agree with your evaluation of them. I think I'll try the Pilot Road 2CT next as I'd like to get more milage out of my tires and I don't think I ride very hard and I too live where the roads are mostly straight...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the least Ive ever gotten out of a set of pilot powers has been around 4k or 5k. There was a lot of stuff over 200kph and it scrubbed the middle of the tire right off. I lost most of the rubber over a couple week span.

Can you blame me? Not much else to do in the prairies :p

If I werent going to the racetrack this season I would get another pair of pilot roads. Without a doubt. So much easier on the wallet and not really noticed any differences at all in the grip unless it was cold and rainy or in the first 10 minutes. Even then it was only midly squirrelly until it warmed up.

pudbrother

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought the powers accidentally from motorcycle superstore, i figure ill give them a wack and next season rock the roads. i have qualifiers on it now, so im interested to see the differences. i only put like 5k miles on it a season, probably less this year, so if they dont last that great oh well

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
After about 18,000 miles on my last set of pilot road 2's, I've ordered a new set. They are not even down to the wear bar yet. I think that I could get another few thousand on them, but why push it? I am REALLY happy with these tires.

Saferider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Pilot Powers and I was disappointed. The first time, in just two weeks into the tires I got a nail in the rear tire. Ok the nail's fault, right? But then, a few months later, I got another flat tire with a piece of tiny rock that was like 7mm x 4mm. The rock cut through the tire like a knife. The tire was very used...like 4,500 miles. I do not know....I think that should not happen so easy even in a used tire. So, yesterday I installed a Pilot Road hoping it can be more durable. It is possible it was all just bad luck, but I would go for the Pilot roads, unless you do a fair amount of riding in the track.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put the Pilot Road 2CT tires on my FZ6 and they seem to be just fine. I wanted the plain Pilot Road's but the shop did not have them in stock. I have those on my R1150RT and love them there. Of course that is a much heavier bike.

NOW what pressures are you all running on your 2CT's to get the maximum mileage out of them ?

Marc