Shoei X-11 helmet review

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Just purchased a new lid and thought I would share my initial impressions. Disclaimer note!!! All helmet reviews are subjective and you should try on many and find the one the fits best and is most comfortable.

For reference, my former helmet is a Scoprion EXO-400. This was my first helmet and only real reference point. I really like my scorpion and was simply looking for more features for my Fathers day present. I looked at the AGV Gp-Tech, Shark RSR2, Arai Quantum and Profile and the Scorpion EXO-1000.

The x-11 fit my head very well, easy entry and nice shape for my head (medium oval). The weight reduction was noticable but not dramatic, the scorpion is very well balanced for the weight. The big difference is in the airflow, this was DRAMATIC. the X-11 pumps air! It was noticeable immediately and was dramatic when pulling away from a stop light, as soon as I started it was like instant A/C as the heat was evacuted and the sweat that had built up was cooled. Here in TX this is a big issue as summer is upon us the X-11 is a huge improvement.

The visor is not quite as simple as the scorpion but that could just be newness with the system. I really like the "crack" visor setting that was lacking on the scorpion.

Bottom line: The x-11 is a certainly pricy (shop around though and it is not too horrible) and you are essentially paying for features. that said it is ceratinly less $$ than the equivalant Arai (corsair) and in the same range as the Shark and AGV. I ultimately went with what felt best on my head, Ispent a long time looking like a fool walking around showrooms with helmets on my head to gauge comfort. Comaprable in shape and comfort to the Scorpion (slightly tighter around the chin bar), with significant feature upgrades. I think it was well worth the $$ for me here in the heat of TX.

I would highly recommend this lid.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I need to replace my EXO-700 after a little get-off friday night. I've tried an RF1000 on before and didn't like it, but the X-11 fit very well. Didn't feel right in Arai's Quantum or Corsair, and haven't visited a Los Angeles AGV dealer yet.

Now that you've had the X-11 for a while, any long-term use updates? Anyone else care to chime in?

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
How was the noise in the X-11?

Having no experience riding with the helmet, I would like to hear about this as well. All the reviews and salesmen I've talked to said that it was pretty loud, -mostly due to the extremely good airflow / ventilation.

Personally, I wear earplugs all the time, so the trade-off seems worth it.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I have it now for a little bit and still LOVE it! The fit is great, the chin bar is a little close but I have gotten used to it and really do not notice it much now. The airflow has been very much appreciated this summer here in dallas. it is remarkeably cooler than my Scorpion. As for noise, it seems to be about the same noise as teh scorpion maybe a little louder, maybe. I wear earplugs all the time so I really do not notice it much and therfore am happily willing to trade the cooling for the noise. As for aerodynamics. I have noticed significantly less helmet buffeting and lifting at higher speeds >85mph. I do a fair number of track days and I noticed this on the longer straights especially. I may occasionally get above that on the street as well ;). Overall, if the fit is right and the $$ are available I would highly recommend the x-11 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I really wanted to hold out and wait to see the new RF1100 and X-12, but I need a helmet now :(

Thanks for the review, X-11 looks like the winner!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up an RF1000 and love it. First it fits my head better than anyother. A little tight going on but once it is there it is perfect. As mentioned with the X-11, the venting is great. I don't find the noise that bad but I guess that is subjective. I tend to ride with plugs and or / MP3s anyway. (turned down enough that I can hear my stock exhaust at idle) I rode with an HJC for a couple years. Huge difference in quality all around. I love my Shoei.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have an RF1000 and really like it. I tried on the X11 and it had the same fit. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the X11 at the time so I got the RF1000. I've tested the old RF200 against the pavement and they work great.

I'm sold on Shoei! :thumbup:

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have over a year and 10k miles with my X-11. It replaced a Scorpion EXO700. I will echo the earlier sentiments on lower weight and great airflow, and add a few more notes:
- I thought the Scorpion had good airflow, until I left the house with the Shoei- wow, what a difference.
- The noise is about the same at the Scorpion (i.e. noisy), and part of that has to do with the increased airflow, IMO. When I close the vents in the winter, the noise is not bad (same as the scorpion)
- The lower chin guard is very nice in the winter, keeping that extra draft out of the helmet. Note that these are damaged easily taking the helmet on/off, and I would suggest buying an extra.
- The breath guard is nowhere near as effective as the Scorpion's. Over my first year of riding, I always wondered why people complained about helmet fogging- I never had a proble with the Scorpion. Once I bought the X-11, I understood. It will fog while stopped at traffic lights on most humid, gulf coast mornings (that means year-around). On rainy days, I must keep extra vents open to try & stop the fogging, even while at speed.

The fogging issues are a pain, but the increased airflow & lighter weight make up for that deficiency. My next helmet will probably also be a Shoei, well, unless I can talk my wife into that Giro time trial helmet that matches the Cervelo bicycle...

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews guys, VERY helpful. :thumbup:

I just ordered an X-11 from motodepot.com for about $450. I loved my EXO-700, but I'm looking forward to the X-11. I'll post my impressions when it gets here this week... :rockon:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had an X-11 for 2yrs and 10k miles. As everyone says: good quality, good venting, loud. For a week, I tried an RF1000, and it was much much quieter and much hotter too - fogged up a bit when the X-11 never does. At times I've found the X-11 unbearably loud even with ear plugs, but that was with a tall CalSci screen that is well known for generating extra wind noise. I've ended up plugging up the rear vents with ear plugs of the X-11 to reduce noise. If I were to be faced with buying a new helmet now, I'd go with the RF1000 over the X-11. It's not unbearably hot here in the SF Bay Area, and thus I prefer the quieter for hotter tradeoff. Sales person at Cycle Gear said that X-11 was one of the loudest helmets on the market, and RF1000 was one of the quietest.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
X-11 and RF-1000 here and I'll echo the sentiments already put forth about both.

I had a HJC and Scorpion EXO-400 before both Shoei and there's a HUGE difference. The X-11 has amazing venting. Yes, it's loud, but I wear earplugs all the time, so that doesn't really affect me.

The RF-1000 vents about 3/4 as well as the X-11 and feels just a slight bit heavier, but it's still lighter than my HJC or my Scorpion (both felt like rocks after getting the Shoei).

Probably the nicest upgrade with the Shoei is the weight. I didn't expect it to make that much difference, but it really does. After riding all day, I don't have the neck fatigue that I had with the other helmets. BUT...spamthefood is right...it does give you some AWFUL helmet hair...lol.

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site