First main service & warranty

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike will be due its first 6000 mile service in april this year and was wondering if it needs to be carried out by a Yamaha dealer to keep warranty? I asked them how much it would be and £150 seems rediculous for an oil change and checking chain etc for a bike thats not even a year old.

I asked if it needed to be yamaha and the woman at the dealer said it does but I cant help but think they are just wanting the business.

I cant find anything in the manual that says they need to be by Yamaha or otherwise but maybe im blind. What have you guys done about the first main service?

Cheers folks, Dave

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Just called another yamaha dealer and they wanted £250, i think im in the wrong business, need to start servicing bikes lol

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a service done just after I bought mine at 2300 miles as it had not had one since 600 miles due to the first owner passing away :(

Long story short I took it to my local dealer and cost me £125.

Gaz

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, the manual just states if you do not have the ability/experience then a Yamaha dealer should do it.

They can not force to use a main dealer, but (long pause), if the work is not carried out correctly and results in a warranty claim then you may be in trouble.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike will be due its first 6000 mile service in april this year and was wondering if it needs to be carried out by a Yamaha dealer to keep warranty?

How long of the two year warranty you got left? If it is a year or so then I would pay a dealer to get it done for the extra piece of mind (eg less chance of argument if you make a claim).

If you only have 3-months left then I would be tempted to do it myself.

W

wrightme43

I dont know about UK rules. Here as long as you can show reciepts that you did the work or had it done your covered.

I just keep good records of what I do myself and I know in any court case I will be fine because all judges want is pieces of paper saying what they need to hear.

Basicly the dealer or yamaha would have to prove you didnt do it, or didnt have it done, or did it wrong. It wieght is not on you, its on them to prove it.

I just do it myself, because its my butt, and if its wrong I am the one that can die. I think I have more intrest in my own life than someone working for a dealer.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a local guy (dads mate) who i like to use as he is a great mechanic and would rather give him the work so think i will just go ti him.

Trust him more than a dealer aswell.

Still have 1 year warranty left, I'll just make sure he gives me receipts for using Yamalube oil etc.

Cheers folks, Dave

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I have exactly the same issue! Can't decide whether to do the work myself or go to the dealer. I'm up to 5500 miles so the 6000 mile service is looming. I've been quoted about £250 and as you've said, the only things that are changed are the oil and some chain maintenance carried out, the spark plugs are only cleaned and re-gapped, not changed, and the oil filter isn't changed until the 12000 mile service!

How long a warranty do the bikes come with? I bought mine new in August 08.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Cheers Alan. I use mine regularly so I'll be reaching the service intervals more often, commuting 50 miles a day mon-fri and leisure at the weekends. I'd like my o/s mirror replaced under warranty as there are some grey marks under the glass which look like corrosion, even though I've kept it clean - not brilliant after only 6 months ownership.

What do I do? Service myself or stump up the cash?

Dilemma!

Clark

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Way I would look at it is factor in the price of doing it yourself, the difference in price is the cost of extending the warranty.

So the question then is, is that amount worth it for the peace of mind ?

If I did your sort of mileage I reckon for me it would be worth the extra.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Way I would look at it is factor in the price of doing it yourself, the difference in price is the cost of extending the warranty.

So the question then is, is that amount worth it for the peace of mind ?

If I did your sort of mileage I reckon for me it would be worth the extra.
A few things to think about there. It will cost a tidy sum initially to get the right tools etc. But I don't think it'd come to the £250 Yamaha want for the 6000 mile service. I think the warranty only covers factory defects, no wear items. I've got a mate who also rides who'd give me a hand with servicing it.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I've done all my service from 600miles up to ~12,000 miles (which is where I'm at now). The first service was done at the dealer and I will never go back. $325 USD for an oil change. FAIL.

I hope the laws aren't different or anything, and I wish you the best of luck, but if your warranty doesn't cover maintenance, then I don't think they can say much because then you're just taking it in for something that is NOT maintenance related (most likely)...ie: steering head balls or something like I did here in the US.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done all my service from 600miles up to ~12,000 miles (which is where I'm at now). The first service was done at the dealer and I will never go back. $325 USD for an oil change. FAIL.

I hope the laws aren't different or anything, and I wish you the best of luck, but if your warranty doesn't cover maintenance, then I don't think they can say much because then you're just taking it in for something that is NOT maintenance related (most likely)...ie: steering head balls or something like I did here in the US.

Wow, in UK dealer 600 mile service is parts only cost, so cost me less than £40 (less than $60 US).

pml1967

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my 600 mile service done back in September (having bought the bike new in June), the dealer charged me £33 (for the parts). I think it's Yamaha policy not to charge labour for this service so it sounds like someone might be trying to rip you off!

In terms of any requirement to have the bike serviced at a Yamaha dealer to maintain the warranty I think the only legal requirement under EU law is that the bike is serviced according to the manufacturers schedule by a garage and it may be necessary to use genuine parts. So get receipts for parts and the get the garage to stamp the service book and you should be OK.

Cheers

Paul

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Always had mine serviced at a Yamaha main agent - J&S in Birmingham. 6000 mile sevice is about £100 / £110.

About due a major service which will be about £250, but that includes doing the valve timing etc.

£250 for an interim service sounds bloody dear to me!

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all just thought i would share this, my fz6 is due its 6000 mile service so rang around for some quotes they are:

£100 local garage
£179 Yam dealer i bought the bike from (includes courtesy bike) 25mile away
£200 Yam Dealer
£279 the closest bike shop to me.

just a wide range of prices question is which to choose?

Rich

:Flash:

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my FZ6 for 5 years now, it has 24.000 miles. I change the oil twice a year, oil filter once a year. I've had 3 front and rear tire changes during this time. However last month, I had front brake pads replaced along with a new front tire as I was having some front braking problems. Everyting seems to be working OK now. I ride to work as much as possible, it's the best part of the day. I use to do some mountain riding, tight curves, but don't feel the need now (I'm 61 years old). I just enjoy riding this bike. I've been tempted to get a FZ8 or FZ1, but afraid I'll get speeding tickets. Maybe I'll have spark plugs replaced in the future to improve gas mileage. But I always use premium gas, so it may not be a real issue anytime soon. What do you guys think?