Schuberth Helmet - Comments?

kenb

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone out there ride with a Schuberth helmet? I am seriously considering purchasing one as my old lid has seen its day.
I am considering a C2 or C3 model. Schuberth is rare here in the United States however it looks like I can order one from the UK on e-bay.
As these don’t come cheap, looking for some feedback on them.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Schuberth S1 helmet that I bought not too long ago from Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands for 1/3 of the price...

Pros:
- very comfortable overall.
- very quiet (without ear plugs, it sounds like my RF1000 with ear plugs lol)
- ok air flow, but very good in winter months, when it's cold outside... the S1 covers your chin/throat very well...
- love the tinted inside pull-down shield, it works great and looks cool,
- great customer service... send them an email telling them your face shield coating has bubbles on it and they'll send you another one free of charge within the week.

Cons:
- quite heavy, but it covers more of your head (more material), especially in the front, around the chin. Can't tell the diff when wearing it.
- the face shield coating quality is pretty crappy (at least on mine)
- the face shield mounting mechanism kinda broke on mine, but it might just be a loose screw... I haven't taken the time to check it out yet.

Overall it's a great helmet, I would recommend Schuberth.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my S1! :thumbup: Comments on David's post:

The shield has an antifog coating so you need to be careful when cleaning it. Use running water only and not for that long a period. Antifog coatings adsorb (not a typo) moisture and swell if very wet. This can lead to easier damage when drying with a towel.

The shield mounting mechanism has a plastic screw that I find needs to be tightened every once in a while.

Agreed that the extra weight is unnoticeable when riding. Though my RF1000 feels so inadequate now when I put it on.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my S1! :thumbup: Comments on David's post:

The shield has an antifog coating so you need to be careful when cleaning it. Use running water only and not for that long a period. Antifog coatings adsorb (not a typo) moisture and swell if very wet. This can lead to easier damage when drying with a towel.

The shield mounting mechanism has a plastic screw that I find needs to be tightened every once in a while.

Agreed that the extra weight is unnoticeable when riding. Though my RF1000 feels so inadequate now when I put it on.

Thanks for the clarification Tom! oh and I forgot to give you props for the original Sierra Post link to that excellent deal on the S1 :thumbup:

About the face shield mounting mechanism, the shield will stay on unless I pull up too hard on it... then it just pops out... I am guessing the screw you talk about is what I need to tighten... thanks!!

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Kenb,
I have the Schuberth C2 flip front helmet, my first 'premium price' helmet, and seems very well made. I bought it as the reviews said it was the quietest, flip on the market and it certainly seems to be. Ventilation in the summer is excellent with a vent on the top of the lid giving airflow over the top of my head.

I concur with Tom's comments about the anti fog coating, only use water cleaning the visor as the coating comes off the inside of the visor very easily.. and they aren't cheap to replace!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Having a colletion of helmets that includes Caberg, Shoei and Schuberth helmets, I have no hesitation in naming my favourite helmet: Schuberth R1.

The R1 is:
- a 110% perfect fit for my head
- Weightless as soon as you go faster than 40km/h (Like 25 US miles I think)
- Comfortably Silent without blocking out the important sounds
- Well ventilated
- Looks dam cool :)
- Accommodates my intercom
- Has the build in sun glass visor (Double visor)
- Have newer "fogged" up on me

My S1 is a bit more quiet, - but only with the "wrong sounds", - tho one I want to hear .. (Police car sirens etc.) It does however seem to be a bit warmer in the late autum and early spring.
I tend to use it when riding with the wife on the back, the lower general noice level makes it easier to hear is he BEFORE she goes into "panic mode" :)

All in all I love both the S1 and the R1 and can only say go for it if you are considering it.

I can recommend www.louis.de - Motorrad & Freizeit as a good vendor in germany, - they are generally cheap on Schuberth helmets and acc.
The site is in german, but most people manage to get through it anyway (An Eshop is an Eshop :) ) and as far as I know they will ship anywhere.
Also some of the more important pages (payment etc.) are available in English.

In the main menu select:
"Bekleidung & Helme"

Then in the "Produktgruppe" box select "Helme Klapp"
and in "Marke" select "Schuberth Helme"

(Helme = Helmets, Marke=Brand, Helme Klapp=Helmets like the C2 & C3)

Should take you directly to the C2, C3 and the Concept helmets.

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, am I missing something? Went to the link but could not find anything about Schuberth Helmets. My understanding is Schuberth is not shipping helmets to the US dealers anymore due to lawsuits in the US. (bummer)
I have a C2 flip up. Very quiet, love the built in sun visor and it is very easy to remove the shield for cleaning. It is my helmet of choice when putting in 500+ mile back to back days on my FJR. Great helmet for long distance touring.
However I do not like it when riding my FZ due to the fact that the peripheral vision is limited and I do not seem to be able to rotate my head as far as compared to my Shoei.
Also the Schuberth is not as good in rain and the shield is fussy about cleaning and has fogging issues. (I think the factory anti fog coating is a pain).
Whatever you decide, spend the $$ on a good name brand helmet- you are worth it.
If you can I would highly recommend trying on the helmet you are going to buy.