California Superbike School and another Track Day

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was hesitant to re-post this on this forum, but I know that there are members here who aren't necessarily on SBN a lot, and I do want to encourage people to try track days and riding schools. So, if you've read this over on SBN, move along, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

=========

Some friends of mine and I decided to take the California Superbike School out at the Streets of Willow Springs at Willow Springs International Raceway, north of Los Angeles.

I wanted to take the school because I feel like I had the very basic skillset as far as street riding, and because I'm just not the type who rides aggressively enough in the canyons to really improve my cornering skills. There are too many douchebags who shouldn't be riding/driving up in the local L.A. canyons, not to mention traffic, road surface hazards, cops, and animals (in that order).

I'd been to one track day, at Buttonwillow Raceway (not to be confused with Willow Springs) out near Bakersfield in central California. I think I posted some pics from that track day, you can probably search for it. :) It was fun but in a sometimes-terrifying kind of way, because for me it was hard to judge when to brake, when to turn in, and how fast to take a turn. I blew the turn on the back straight twice and ran off track, though I didn't crash or anything.

Willow Springs has several tracks; "the big track" aka "the fastest track in the West" which supposedly has some serious pucker-factor high speed turns, and Streets of Willow, a shorter, more technical course; and other tracks (2 ovals, one dirt and one paved, and another short road course). Streets looks like this:

3020808952_0ba29de1cf.jpg

In addition to the CA SBS, our group also signed up with TrackDaz to do a proper trackday the following weekend at the same track, so we could try to put it all together for ourselves in an open trackday environment.

We showed up early for the CA Superbike School, dressed for the forecasted 90 degree F weather. Needless to say, we were quite surprised at the 38 F temperature at sunrise! Nonetheless, we had some of the coffee and breakfast fruit they provided while we milled around at registration, looking at their nice-looking ZX-6Rs that two of us rode (the other two rode their own bikes). It was bitchin', BTW, to just drive out there w/ our gear and have the bikes there and ready to go. For the cost of renting a van and the extra gas, it was almost as much as the extra cost to ride their bikes.

2974223805_cba6e34560_b.jpg

2972988175_5773fe36c1.jpg

2973840834_eaf51901fb.jpg

===

The majority of the school was actually taught by Keith Code himself, or Level 1 (of 4) was at least. The other two were taught by Dylan Code, I assume he was Keith's son. The classroom sessions (which is really what you're paying for after all) were very engaging and clear, with plenty of whiteboard diagrams and gesturing. :) They really liked getting feedback from the group, and it was pretty interactive.

The format was: 20 minutes of instruction, 20 minutes or so of track time to work on the skill discussed in that session, and 20 minutes of one on one instruction and break time. It made for a whirlwind of a day for sure.

The first session was all about throttle control. They had us put the bikes in 4th gear and keep them there for the entire 20 minute session; did I mention that we weren't allow to use brakes either? LOL that made for an interesting first lap or two! The last section (we did not use the skid pad) is a series of very tight switchbacks and it was VERY unnerving to go through that in 4th gear w/o brakes. But I think I learned more about cornering and track riding in that drill than anything since my MSF class.

The second session was about finding the correct turn in spot for each corner. To assist the students, they actually placed big "X"s on the track using masking tape. This was to help people correct their line selections, and to keep it consistent throughout the remainder of the day. For the vast majority of the turns, they were in places where I had been turning in anyway, although a couple were a bit deeper. One turn in particular was marked in the middle of the track (going into The Bowl, at the top of the track map above), where I had been going way to the outside of the track to turn in.

The third session was about making a very quick turn in, basically getting the bike turned over as quickly as possible. They also emphasized getting on the gas immediately after reaching the max lean angle, even if this was well before the apex. The point is to get the suspension settled and more able to absorb mid-corner bumps and steering inputs. This was hard at first, as I've never really ridden a true sport bike before, much less around a track, but I progressed well throughout the day. It also helped me the following week on the FZ6, to get that bad boy leaned over "con gusto" which makes for a better turn in.

The fourth session focused on relaxing the arms in mid-corner. Keith's point on this drill was that the bike will stay on-line until you bring it out of the turn; he challenges the idea that simply applying throttle will make the bike stand up. When you relax your arms, it allows the bike to work under you and keeps you from fighting one arm/hand with the other. This was a couple of my friends' "moment of clarity" as far as making progress for the day.

The fifth and final session had to do with looking for your turn in point first, then looking to your apex and exit as soon as you could take your eyes off your turn in point. This allowed you to break it down into two steps, rather than "looking for the apex" or more vaguely "looking through the turn."

All in all it was well worth the $650 (hello credit card!) to ride their ZX-6R and to take the Level 1 class. What a blast!

Here's a few more from that day:

2973839228_8e8fc01b16.jpg

2972991153_627e1e6765.jpg

2972993709_445b574d60.jpg

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2973849934_689351c2f2.jpg

The CA Superbike School was on Saturday, Oct. 25. The following weeekend, we signed up with TrackDaz to try out the new skills on our own bikes, at the same track, more or less immediately following the school. The track day was on Halloween, Oct. 31. Those of you in L.A. might remember that it was RAINING that morning!

Before I forget, I should mention here that for my first trackday back in April, I borrowed my brother's pickup truck and went with a friend of mine. He has a full-size Dodge Ram and let me tell you, that bed is mighty high up from the ground! We didn't drop any bikes, but came close a couple of times, in particular when I got home at like 10 pm and tried to unload with only my wife and a random passerby in our alley (God Bless you stranger!). Did I mention that we PUSHED the somewhat-heavy FZ6 up rather than drive it?

Well, a couple of friends of mine concocted this brilliant wheel chock board that fits into the back of a rental cargo van. I am told that because of the entertainment business in L.A., these cargo vans are pretty commonly had if you go through Enterprise and look for an online coupon. I ended up paying $150 for two days (had to pick up the night before to load up and drop off the following day), fully insured.

The cargo van option has two main advantages - your bikes are out of sight when you stop for meals, or if you drive out and spend the night at a hotel or something, and it's MUCH easier to load and unload from the relatively low deck of the cargo van vs. a full size pickup. I suppose your bikes are also protected from the elements as well.

My friends bring out an F4i and an SV650 with theirs, we had the FZ6 and my friend's Daytona in ours. Here's a couple of pics for those who are inspired to copy the design (the credit for which goes to Jim T.), the chocks and D-rings are from Harbor Freight (though I would use different D-rings if I had more time) and the hardware and laminate pine board are from Home De-pot. I used bolts and tee nuts, and a couple of regular nuts and washers, to bring it all together.

2993989480_97b9ef185d.jpg

2993146345_b4ef4ae8e3.jpg

I tied down the subframe in the back to stabilize it, particularly after I dropped off my friend and his bike:

2993992042_b4b516b32b.jpg

The track day was awesome. I felt SO MUCH more comfortable and in my element after the CA SBS. It was great to get some seat time on the FZ6 right after the school, while it was all fresh. The throttle drill / no brakes stuck out in my mind, and I did this for a couple of laps each time just to focus on the basics. I actually bought a rear stand and prepared to remove both the side and center stands, but being as it was raining when we first arrived I thought I wouldn't be achieving those lean angles anyway :banana so I left them on. Plus, I've been practicing hanging off, or so I thought, so I didn't end up dragging anything save for the peg feelers, which I promptly removed.

The rain stopped and the track dried after the first session, and no one in my group crashed (though there were several crashes throughout the day, no serious injuries). Riding the FZ6 vs. the ZX-6R was quite a change, I felt so TALL on the FZ6 and I felt I was no where near dragging knee though I was very close several times on the 6R.

===

Here's some more pics:

2992746119_f2edff4980.jpg

Rider's meeting (remember it was Halloween):

2993594370_5c96d01aa3.jpg

Me on the right, next to MARINAFAZER (unbeknownst to me at the time)!

2993964782_9645c14a53.jpg

2993958772_518e6bbdde.jpg

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that you have covered your lights with tape. I'll be visiting a track this year and I wonder how to cope with my always-on low beam - I guess it'll melt the tape? Do I have to plug the beam power off?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure on a naked bike but on a dual headlight you can simply unplug the lights. If that is a PITA you can pull the fuse instead.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just pull the fuses - MUCH easier. I keep them in a baggie under my seat until I get back home.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I am beginning to dive into to trackdays and was thinking about a school, specifically the Jamie James Yamaha school. This was very helpful with good information.:thumbup: