Votes: 16 3.1%
  • < 3000 miles

Votes: 33 6.3%

• Total voters

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys would hate what I do in the truck. 10K oil change interval with 5K filter changes. 03 F-150 5.4l w/ 183,000mi so far. Oil has a MUCH longer life than people expect unless the engine has other underlying problems like excessive heat or fuel fouling the oil from bad valve seals or leaky rings. Granted the bike will get less from the gears chewing up the hydrocarbon chains and the stress from a high revving, high compression engine, but it's not going to be destroyed that quick.

That's exactly how I feel. The hydrocracking technology is so good now that oil can be refined to near synthetic qualities.

I change the oil and filter in my truck at 10K. I change the bikes oil and filter at 5K. I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 in both. I use the Fram PH6017A filter on the bike. Plus the 5 and 10K intervals make it very easy to keep track of oil changes.

A gallon of oil is about $12 which I only use 3qts of (= $9) plus the filter is only like $3.45 so about $12.50 for an oil change on the bike doing it myself and it only takes about 10 minuets to do. Not too bad.

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
i am over 4000 miles for every oil & filter change.

i use to drink semi-synthetic motul 15w40 (south spain is over 45º afternoon summer and 10º morning winter )

always do myself all basic maintenance (brakes, oil, front fork oil , change clutch cable......but stubborn clumsy mechanics:cheer:)

going to sleep now, see ya !

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of swapping my engine in my cager because I blow it up (Hydrolock... don't ask!)

I always did my oil change on schedule with Mobile1 F. Synth and Mobile1 oil filter. After 125 000 miles of good beat up and maintenance the engine was still running like brand new... no oil consumption at all.

Well I bought an engine from a junk yard on Ebay. 95 000 junk yard miles (aka 150 000) Who knows? So before I put it in I wanted to throw a little inspection... I take the oil cap off to take a look... didn't like it! So I remove the valve cover just to make sure. I never seen anything like this!!! Honestly, I have no words to explain the mess in there! I try my best to clean up the Gunk build up and vacuum it out.

I cross my finger that everything will be alright... I'll start it up with new oil and filter and throw one of those gunk removal magic potion, then drain the f*&^ right away! New oil and filter again for a week, then change again.

All I have to say is there a f&^% el cheapo Walt-Mart oil filter on it. Look like they change oil at the same time they were changing tires... at best!

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I use ropella and basically change it once, at the end of the riding season and winterize it then off to storage. I typically put on 5000 miles in a riding season here in Wisconsin.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of swapping my engine in my cager because I blow it up (Hydrolock... don't ask!)

I always did my oil change on schedule with Mobile1 F. Synth and Mobile1 oil filter. After 125 000 miles of good beat up and maintenance the engine was still running like brand new... no oil consumption at all.

Well I bought an engine from a junk yard on Ebay. 95 000 junk yard miles (aka 150 000) Who knows? So before I put it in I wanted to throw a little inspection... I take the oil cap off to take a look... didn't like it! So I remove the valve cover just to make sure. I never seen anything like this!!! Honestly, I have no words to explain the mess in there! I try my best to clean up the Gunk build up and vacuum it out.

I cross my finger that everything will be alright... I'll start it up with new oil and filter and throw one of those gunk removal magic potion, then drain the f*&^ right away! New oil and filter again for a week, then change again.

All I have to say is there a f&^% el cheapo Walt-Mart oil filter on it. Look like they change oil at the same time they were changing tires... at best!

That's an Aerio motor! Looks like the owner didn't care much for oil changes. :eek: My Aerio engine probably looks similar, as it eats oil, and the oil comes out looking terrible after 3K. And it's only got 76K on it. :( Sucks, because I really would like to go with extended OCI's, but I just can't trust that engine yet. lol AutoRx is the best for cleaning that sludge out without destroying the seals. While you're in there, inspect the chain tensioner, and replace if need be. I wonder what the rod bearings look like? Take your time going through that thing, it would suck to get it back together and have it self destruct!

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's an Aerio motor! Looks like the owner didn't care much for oil changes. :eek: My Aerio engine probably looks similar, as it eats oil, and the oil comes out looking terrible after 3K. And it's only got 76K on it. :( Sucks, because I really would like to go with extended OCI's, but I just can't trust that engine yet. lol AutoRx is the best for cleaning that sludge out without destroying the seals. While you're in there, inspect the chain tensioner, and replace if need be. I wonder what the rod bearings look like? Take your time going through that thing, it would suck to get it back together and have it self destruct!

Yes it is! My 06 Aerio. I've been running the engine for few days now and everything seams fine. There's a little something wrong with it at low rpm, I think is due to the amount of water going trough... MAF sensor feel like he's a bit piss off! I'll clean it over the weekend, and do another oil change with Mobile1 this time... It should be alright... It would have blown up by now. The wear on the cams look fine, just that crazy build up...

The manual says 7500 miles between oil change... hope your using the good synth stuff. I've been running mine hard (not all the time, but shift often at 5500-6000 in the first 2 gears. The car has been bullet proof so far... except the driveshaft:( I'm on my 3rd set...

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Castrol 4t at 8000km (5000miles) bike gets used every day, filter at the same time, a mazda mx5 filter is the same, but gives you mare brand options & are usually cheaper, an rx8 filter is 25mm longer,gives 40% more capacity, higher performance brands are available & still doesn't interfere with your foot.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/204-oil-filters-will-fit.html

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Castrol 4t at 8000km (5000miles) bike gets used every day, filter at the same time, a mazda mx5 filter is the same, but gives you mare brand options & are usually cheaper, an rx8 filter is 25mm longer,gives 40% more capacity, higher performance brands are available & still doesn't interfere with your foot.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/204-oil-filters-will-fit.html

Haha, yeah I love how it uses a common filter! My Mazda Protege filters fit perfectly. Had no idea an RX8 filter would work though! I'll probably run one of those then next time, assuming it's bigger than the Protege filter. Than again, I've always ran larger filters on that car, so I'll have to compare. I wonder if the RX8 filters have a different valve pressure though. Oh well, time for me to research!

Yes it is! My 06 Aerio. I've been running the engine for few days now and everything seams fine. There's a little something wrong with it at low rpm, I think is due to the amount of water going trough... MAF sensor feel like he's a bit piss off! I'll clean it over the weekend, and do another oil change with Mobile1 this time... It should be alright... It would have blown up by now. The wear on the cams look fine, just that crazy build up...

The manual says 7500 miles between oil change... hope your using the good synth stuff. I've been running mine hard (not all the time, but shift often at 5500-6000 in the first 2 gears. The car has been bullet proof so far... except the driveshaft:( I'm on my 3rd set...

Yeah, I've got an '05 SX. I change it every 3K, and I beat on it pretty hard, but I've been mellowing out a lot lately. No broken shafts though, but I try not to launch too hard off the line, as it is an auto, so I'd rather not kill that tranny too quick. lol Other than oil burning, no issues at all with it. I'm fairly certain the oil burning is either a stuck ring, or a valve. Runs great though, so it must not be a serious issue. I bought it used with 55K, and I'm up to around 76K, with lots of abuse, and it hasn't died yet! I just use regular oil, usually either Shell or Mobil 1 5000. I've got some Valvoline HM in it now, to see if it still burns oil, and to help clean it up a bit. Next will be some AutoRx and back to regular oil for a good flush. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
I change oil and filter at about 2,000 mi. I am going to try full synthetic 20-50 next change to see if it helps the "clunking" on shift.
Keep in mind, that oils (particularly synthetic) last a long time. The real reason for oil changes is the build up of moisture and combustion by-products which can also form acids. If the oil is changed frequently, it is just a matter of personal opinion whether to use "dino" or synthetic.
Also, it is the short stop and go trips that are the hardest on any engine. Most engine wear occurs on starting.
Long steady commutes could dictate longer change intervals over stop and go riding/driving.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
I change my oil about ever 4k miles new filter each time... running synthetic have since 1200 miles on the bike... now have nearly 21k miles and no problems still running strong...

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I love starting the "riding season" with fresh oil and filter. I usually only do an oil change every March with fresh Amsoil and a filter, and my 07 has never run clunky or had an issue.

I suppose if I did more than 6k a year I'd do 2 changes a year, but I typically don't.

Gotta love that Amsoil!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious as to how often everyone changes their oil on their FZ6's. Post up, and include what oil type you use, as in standard or synthetic, and maybe the kind of riding you do, ie, track, commuting, freeway, easy going, beat the heck out of it, etc.
I change mine annually at the end of the season as well as the filter.
Can this option be added to the poll?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having just read the whole thread, I want to congratulate the OP, for coming up with an ingenious way to start yet another oil thread:spank:

Cheers

Nelly

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL!! Hey, at least it's in the proper section! :D

And no, I can't add the option, as I can't edit the poll. Mods can if they please, fine by me.

Last edited by a moderator:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually change it about 4k miles, I do ALOT of highway riding....63miles to school one way a few times a week, so I dont really have to worry about moisture and other stuff gettin in....i hit 4k miles pretty quick lol
but that highway rpms are a killlllerrrr....freakin Atlanta ppl treat i285 like Talladega :D

fizzerdave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I use Synthetic oil and only put on 2-3K KM per year. How ofter did you deceide to change your oil and filter?

Thanks,
Dave

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually change it about 4k miles, I do ALOT of highway riding....63miles to school one way a few times a week, so I dont really have to worry about moisture and other stuff gettin in....i hit 4k miles pretty quick lol
but that highway rpms are a killlllerrrr....freakin Atlanta ppl treat i285 like Talladega :D

Haha, 280 is like that for me in the mornings. FAST.

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I use Synthetic oil and only put on 2-3K KM per year. How ofter did you deceide to change your oil and filter?

Thanks,
Dave

I'll change mine every 3000, or when the season starts, whichever comes first. And I'll use Castrol Actevo, which is their synthetic blend. FZ seems to like it, and it's not too expensive.