Yamaha logo

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
so i was talking to an old timmer he told me the yamaha logos are just 3 tunning fork, back when they first started they used the tunning fork for instrument, interesting i didnt know that... theres your 411 i gues:rolleyes:

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
Their first musical instrument was actually pianos. It seems I recall Yamaha may have been a loom business even before that. Interesting how many of the big motorcycle companies started off as something else first and then evolved into something else after the World Wars!

Fastprof

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add 2 more pennies to this discussion: the logos are the same for musical instruments and motorcycles except the center tuning fork is upside down for bikes and right side up for pianos.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To me, seeing the Yamaha logo on the motorcycle looks weird, as I grew up playing music and always remember the logo as a musical instrument thing. I've owned dozens of Yamaha keyboards, guitars, amps, drums, sound gear and other things. That's a big part of the reason I went with a Yamaha bike...I know that they make really good quality stuff.

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
To me, seeing the Yamaha logo on the motorcycle looks weird, as I grew up playing music and always remember the logo as a musical instrument thing.

Same here. My first piano was a Yamaha- loved that little thing. It took a while for me to get used to the idea of them making anything aside from musical instruments, although at this point, I must say that the sound of my FZ6 revving high while zooming down the on-ramp is music to my ears! :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
so i was talking to an old timmer he told me the yamaha logos are just 3 tunning fork, back when they first started they used the tunning fork for instrument, interesting i didnt know that... theres your 411 i gues:rolleyes:

Sooo how old was this old timer? I may be afraid of your answer.

FYI it was Mr Michio Suzuki who invented a mechanical loom but due to the cotton bust after WW2 - he, like many Japanese manufactures got into bikes in the early 50's.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add 2 more pennies to this discussion: the logos are the same for musical instruments and motorcycles except the center tuning fork is upside down for bikes and right side up for pianos.

What are you on about? The only difference between the motor division and music division logos is that motor division has tuning forks that protrude into the surrounding circle, whereas music division's do not.

Red is motor, blue is music.

Fastprof

Reaction score
Visit site
What are you on about? The only difference between the motor division and music division logos is that motor division has tuning forks that protrude into the surrounding circle, whereas music division's do not.

Red is motor, blue is music.

What I am on about is that the logos used to have the center tuning fork reversed for the motorcycles vs musical instruments. Obviously, this has been changed in the last few years. Thank you for so tactfully pointing out my error.;)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the Yamaha logo. It's everything a logo should be since it provides immediate brand recognition. It's unique, and it's bold enough to stand on it's own without being flashy or over-stated.

It's perfect!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I am on about is that the logos used to have the center tuning fork reversed for the motorcycles vs musical instruments. Obviously, this has been changed in the last few years. Thank you for so tactfully pointing out my error.;)

I'd like to see that, I had a Yamaha sound system almost 30 years ago and the logo was the same as today, ditto for a friend's bike at the same time. The ony time I have seen the reversed tuning forks was on the back of a Yamaha dealer's van and the logo was obviously upside down.

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site

That's not quite right.....
I work for a Yamaha dealer, and we recently had some signage made.
When our state manager paid us a visit he was not impressed.
We had made Yamaha music signs, not Yamaha motors....doh, we didn't know there was any difference, but there is.
One logo has the tuning fork go all the way to the outter ring, the other have them only reach the first ring.
To the layman or untrained eye, it looks the same, but to those in the know there is a distinct difference.

EDIT: oops, I should have kept reading, then I would have noticed this has already been mentioned.

Last edited:

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
The show "Twist the throttle" did a great show on the history of Yamaha. I'm not sure if its available for viewing online but its definitely worth a view. Unfortunately No FZ6s are mentioned. :spank:

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
To me, seeing the Yamaha logo on the motorcycle looks weird, as I grew up playing music and always remember the logo as a musical instrument thing. I've owned dozens of Yamaha keyboards, guitars, amps, drums, sound gear and other things. That's a big part of the reason I went with a Yamaha bike...I know that they make really good quality stuff.

I've played all sorts of Yamaha instruments, and the FZ6 is no exception. A Yamaha inline 4 is music to my ears :D