WOT...for the first time?

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I've had my FZ6 for over 5 years now. For whatever reason, I'd never actually explored the full range of motion of the throttle. Sure, I've ridden fast, accelerated quickly, etc. Perhaps, it was the adequate amount of torque I felt in the lower range, the sweet sound of the Two Brothers cans, or just the fact that the type of riding I do is mostly weekday commuting.

That changed yesterday when the thought popped in my head to see how far the throttle grip actually twisted. It twists a lot. Like, scary, a lot. The first time I thought I would fall off. The next couple times, I bounced the rev limiter. I may have revved the engine towards redline in the past, but never at 100% throttle, apparently. It's completely different. What's also strange, is that I can totally feel that the torque is available in a different RPM range. Around town, I felt the most power between 6,000 and 8,000, while at WOT, it's much much higher.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience as me? I've typically ridden pretty conservatively (thanks MSF), but was fully aware that the engine in this bike had lots of oomph. I just never imagined that there was so much excess oomph. :eek:

Anyway, that my experience. Feel free to laugh at me if you want, it's okay. ;) Carry on. :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it plenty of times but I don't make a habit of accelerating at WOT. When I do it's a special treat, the bike feels like a beast between 8 and 12K. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've hit it few times on FZ6.. it's pretty awesome! On FZ1.. can't do it on the street without getting arrested :rof: never fully cranked it on track either.. time to roll off for next corner before she's fully up to speed.
Now on the R6.. many times on every lap around the track :D :D :D

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
yea its pretty good when merging into traffic or whenever I go down to the drags :rockon::rockon: like Eric said, on the Fz1 and my R1, you twist and it GOES straight into illegal lol

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i do it on a pretty regular basis when i am alone on known roads, love the rush you get once you hit 9000rpm!

(but i do agree that the first time i did it, i felt like i was strapped to a rocket...)

Last edited:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went WOT on my FZ6 when I was at the track last year but othewise, not really, although I do romp on it some when merging onto the Interstate. Now I haven't had my Tuono wide open yet and quite frankly, I'm kinda scared to.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I went WOT on my FZ6 when I was at the track last year but othewise, not really, although I do romp on it some when merging onto the Interstate. Now I haven't had my Tuono wide open yet and quite frankly, I'm kinda scared to.

If it's anything like my roommates RSV-R, I don't blame you. 1/2 throttle on that 1000cc v-twin and the front wheel is lifting off.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had mine wide open in 6th once. It was a morning when I had to be in early to work, long stretch of road, and zero traffic. I had a neighbor years ago tell me that when the broken white lines turn solid, you are going way too fast. I understood what he meant after that.

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but I end up hitting the rev limiter, especially if the bike isn't warmed up.

The process breakdown (bike not warmed):

1) WOT
2) Accelerate like a madman
3) Temporary loss of power for a moment
4) Feeling stupid/embarassed and shifting up.

This only happens when it's not warmed though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My strategy has been to know all you can as soon as possible so I know what to expect when its ahh - - - 'UN-expected' if that makes any sense.

Like; How quick can we stop, how far can we lean, and what will she do if I twist it all the way? :rockon: << It was the first mission completed (twist 1st & 2nd)) on our first outing. The others took some time to explore. I do recall the rush and thinking wholly sheep dip! :cheer:

Since we've been together, it just seems like its wise to know our limits as couple, so if something crazy happens (you name it), I know my options!
Its nice to have options!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Best / funnist run I had was with a Lingenfelter custom Corvette (bout a year ago), $150,000 super charged car against my $2K FZ6.

We were stopped at a red light, waiting to go over a long divided bridge, NO traffic ahead(over a river). He was behind me revving it up, showing his a$$. :rolleyes:

When the light changed green, IT was on! He couldn't pull away from me and vs versa, (WOT) thru 5 gears. It was a dead heat...

My lil FZ holding its own against a 500+ HP super car!! :thumbup: