Why do people blur their number plates?

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Unless it's a picture of you doing a burnout, wheelie or armed robbery, what does it matter if people see your plate? Something I'm missing:confused::confused:

Some people cover them up so the camera flash doesn't reflect off it an mess up the photo.

Other wise I wouldn't bother.

:DIt's the microwave signals that the aliens are sending out I'm more worried about, that's why I lined my helmet with tin-foil.:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's so that dodgy people cant access information about the bike, and hence, where it is garaged, via the Motor Registration Authority in your area....and then come and steal the bike!

Well that's why i blur mine out...

:thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It's so that dodgy people cant access information about the bike, and hence, where it is garaged, via the Motor Registration Authority in your area....and then come and steal the bike!

Dodgy people can also just as easily do that driving behind you on the road or looking at your bike in a parking lot....;)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
honestly every one else does it.. so i thought id be cool too...

or

well I don't need a troll to be searching me out, to try and pick an offline fight.. :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a privacy thing. On here I talk about how awsome my bike is, and all the cool things I've done with it. Other than the headlights, my bike almost looks stock, so the people driving behind me probably aren't as interested.

But moreover, if they can find out where I live, and some of my VIN numbers, they can get my social... Why make it easy for them? It's also why I strip the headers from my photos.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to blur mine out, but stopped some while ago.

Plate is out there on the street on every car/bike.. not very different from displaying it online. If this increases the risk of someone locating my bike I don't really care.. it's not exactly priceless.

I also don't really care if the scary world of internet knows where I live. I don't generally piss anyone off and don't have anyone to hide from. :don'tknow:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

THIS. I know a few car people who had the aftermarket parts stolen off their car not long after posting pictures of their car with all those high end parts under the hood and their plate numbers....it's not that hard to track down where you live...especially since many members put the city/state they live in in their profiles and may have a facebook account not set to private.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Despite what we think the FZ6 is really not a big enough target to have people searching the internet to find a plate number and track it down and drive hundreds of miles to find it. The big targets in the US are H-D's and liter sport bikes. But even then it's just as easy to stop at a bar (H-D) or bike shop or craigslist to find a bike to jack.

As for steeling your privet info from a plate number... unlikely. Identity thieves in general now go after large databases like the DMV.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I blur mine...

Consider following scenario:
Someone steals a fz6, exactly like mine, same color same year etc. the only thing he has to do, is to swap his license plate, with a fake one with my registration number he saw on the picture I posted in FB, and voila, he has most of the heat off his ass...

Additionally, he might commit a robbery or a murder and the bike gets captured in ccv, and all the cops will be looking for my sorry ass, because he's got exactly the same license number with exactly the same bike as I do.

Suddenly I'm are a murder suspect. Surprise! and now think about some trigger happy cop making you a signal to stop, but you fail to notice it and BANG ... ! you're going down ...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I blur mine...

Someone steals a fz6, exactly like mine, same color same year etc. the only thing he has to do, is to swap his license plate, with a fake one with my registration number he saw on the picture I posted in FB, and voila, he has most of the heat off his ass...

Additionally, he might commit a robbery or a murder and the bike gets captured in ccv, and all the cops will be looking for my sorry ass, because he's got exactly the same license number with exactly the same bike as I do.

Suddenly I'm are a murder suspect. Surprise! and now think about some trigger happy cop making you a signal to stop, but you fail to notice it and BANG ... ! you're going down ...

A little paranoid?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep way to PARANOID for me. I defo have more going on in my life to worry about licence plate being on display. It's just as easy to get a number from the street.
I would only black out my number if I had an accidental infringement of a local traffic law.

Nelly:thumbup:

Actually thought about this a bit more, I do have a very liberal coating of cow ****e and slurry over my number plate. For those every day requirements.

Last edited:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I blur mine...

I'd say you'd have more of a chance winning the lotto then getting shot cos you plate got cloned.

Then again easy for me to say as our cops don't carry guns.

:scared:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I would be more worried about putting yourself on Facebook or Myspace. Doesn't mean a damn thing if you have the privacy settings on or if they are not your invited friends, they can easily get access.

I have a friend who works for a collection agency and he said that the social networks has made their jobs so much easier. In the past, people were a ghost, now their not. So if you really want privacy, stay away from social networks.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
plate cloning is the main one, especially in the uk

there was somebody on another forum saying that the armed police turned up at their house as they thought their car had been used in an armed robbery!

i can imagine that not going down quite as well over the pond...

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I blur mine...

Except for getting shot, that was my exact thought if I was to blur my plate as well.

But I just forget/am too lazy.