Which FZ6 for a newb (model year)?

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks

I'm still giving serious thought as to whether to get the Fazer8 (which I quite enjoyed on the test drive) or an old FZ6, with plans to resell and upgrade in a year or two. Cost isn't really an issue, but getting something I can handle well enough to pass the (incredibly difficult) Swiss drivers test is.

When I took a 2008 FZ6 Fazer S2 for a test spin, the throttle had a slightly unpleasant response to my mind - it seemed pretty jerky, somehow. The FZ8 was smooth. However, my instructor is telling me that the older FZ6s (2000-2003) didn't have the same fueling problems as the newer ones, and so that probably makes the difference.

Now, keeping in mind that I'm a newb and may well simply have had a bad test ride, which FZ6 would you recommend? If I get this one, it's going to be a short-term bike, for all of a year or maybe even less, so I'm only concerned with something that helps me learn and enables me to pass the test. Generally speaking, is the older model easier/harder at slow speeds? I'm a bit worried about doing the slow speed stuff on an inline 4 - again, the instructor says that's a fair bit harder than on a V-twin.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Lance

ScubaSteve08

Reaction score
Visit site
Well here's the deal. If you are as new as you say you are and are concerned about handling/too much power? I'd say go with the FZ6. I personally own one and its a really mellow machine until you really crank it and turn it into a monster =) It handles very well and it has just enough power to get a new person adjusted to the speed of a sport bike. Now as far as that jerky throttle, its the fuel injection and the power curve of the bike where it gets a lot of power at a certain RPM range but its not a smooth delivery. I take it that when you open the throttle more that it seems to just leap forward right?So in short the way to cure that is to keep a steady hand on the throttle and twist smoothly rather than twitching it. Or buy a Power Commander which will solve a lot of your problems.

As far as the driving at slow speeds, the best way to pass a test is to KNOW YOUR BIKE. If you know what its gonna do and what its limits are, the test should be a breeze. Or you could just slip the clutch to speed up then pull it in and coast =P

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like you need to get used to the low amount of torque offered by the FZ6 motor. You must be in the right gear or it will bog. But fear not you will get used to it very quickly.. it should be a non issue once you are used to it.

As far as years go, there was an upgrade to several items in 2007 and up. For one, the tach is analog (the way it should be). I hear also a better FI map, better brakes and oh yeah a helmet lock (genius!).

For a brand new rider I would get an older one becuase you will have just as much fun on it and it would hurt a whole lot less if you were to drop a 5 or 6 year old bike vs a newer one (I'm just sayin'). The FZ6 is my first bike too. I went with a low mileage one that I found a good deal on. Nope, in case you are wondering, I haven't dropped it.

Good luck with your choice and be sure to ask tons more questions before you commit to buy anything.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 transmission has slap in it after gearing down and rolling on the throttle again. I've read about this complaint from many and experienced it on two different fz6's, including mine. Its just the nature of the bike. Whatever bike you choose, get to know your bike.
Unless you get a great deal on an fz6,i'd go with the fz8. Or if you're hell bent on the undertail exhaust, which i must say is not offered on many bikes anymore. A lot of taming and controlling your bike is throttle control and proper braking. Have fun.

bogdani0405

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

If you're new to motorcycling... go for the FZ6. I started on a 400cc bike, I rode it for a year, and then went to the 600 cc class, and the difference was huge. Be sure that the FZ6 can kill you also if you don't have experience. The Fizzer can have an SS behaviour, don't forget it's an R6 engine.

Bear in mind that the Fz6 is more maneuvrable than the FZ8, more user friendly for a beginner, if you forget your hand on the gas it won't bring you up to speed as fast as a Fz8 will.

Go for an S2 Fz6 with ABS. It's more than enough for a beginner. You won't be sorry.

Asfalt uscat

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're new to motorcycling

As in, driving for about 2 months now, on 125s at first and now on a 600 Transalp.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the great feedback! I'll have to make the call soon, and I'll let you know which way it goes. ;)

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth, I finally made the decision on my bike....

.... BMW F800R. Sorry guys, but after the test drive there was just no contest.

However, these and the FZ1 forums are great, so I'll be sticking around. ;)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
For what it's worth, I finally made the decision on my bike....

.... BMW F800R. Sorry guys, but after the test drive there was just no contest.

However, these and the FZ1 forums are great, so I'll be sticking around. ;)

Congratulations on the purchase. No need to apologize the BMW's are great bikes and choosing a ride is a very personal thing. Post up a pic or two, and by the way, you are more than welcome to hang out on the forum, we have plenty of riders here that don't have an FZ6 :D