Where do all those bullets go?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway a great day for the Arab world and Libya. Gadaffi is dead (allegedly),
Where do all those celebratory shots in the air go?
I saw a guy with a .50 letting lose as well WTF.

Nelly:thumbup:

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway a great day for the Arab world and Libya. Gadaffi is dead (allegedly),
Where do all those celebratory shots in the air go?
I saw a guy with a .50 letting lose as well WTF.

Nelly:thumbup:

It those 20mm ones you need to worry about!!! What goes up must come down....:eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It those 20mm ones you need to worry about!!! What goes up must come down....:eek:
I don't know much about ballistics but I do know that that Newton bloke was onto something.
My brother was in the Army and told me about a weapons demo that he saw.
Basically the instructors fired varying sized rounds at man made objects that might be considered to give cover.
The demo ended with a .50 being shot at a concrete wall from about 200 meters. The wall basically fell down.
The object of the demo was about digging in.

Nelly

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
The come right back down to earth. I read an article that stated the last time the Libyans "celebrated" by firing wildly into the air, around 17 or so people died from that nonsense. This is why police pretty much everywhere crack down so hard on people doing that on the holidays, or at least in my neck of the woods they do. In San Jose, CA, quite some time ago they installed a few devices that sit up high, and can detect gun shots, and accurately pin-point the location of the shot fired, so they can race over and bust whatever moron is firing into the air. Pretty neat technology actually!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't think the bullets returning to earth are moving fast enough to be deadly... of course anything can happen. The bullet will have to reach a point where it stops moving up and starts dropping. On the way down it will hit terminal velocity, I would guess that is just a fraction of the speed of it being shot out of a gun.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the bullets returning to earth are moving fast enough to be deadly... of course anything can happen. The bullet will have to reach a point where it stops moving up and starts dropping. On the way down it will hit terminal velocity, I would guess that is just a fraction of the speed of it being shot out of a gun.

Almost every other new year at least one person is killed by a falling bullet, its very rare that it happens but there has been quite a few people killed by them

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
The Mythbusters tested this to a great extent and it all boils down to angle - IF your fire strait up into the air ( 90 degrees relative to the ground ) then the bullet will just tumble through the air on it's way back down. While it would hurt it would not be lethal. However once you come too far off 90 degrees it becomes deadly again.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like burnouts I don't get the firing a gun in to the air thing. It seems like a totally pointless exercise.

I agree 100% on the whole celebratory shooting just a waste of good bullets, but burnouts are just plain good old fun :D

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
It is humorus that people are celebrating the killing of a violent dictator by possible wounding and killing hundreds of strangers without cause.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The come right back down to earth. I read an article that stated the last time the Libyans "celebrated" by firing wildly into the air, around 17 or so people died from that nonsense. This is why police pretty much everywhere crack down so hard on people doing that on the holidays, or at least in my neck of the woods they do. In San Jose, CA, quite some time ago they installed a few devices that sit up high, and can detect gun shots, and accurately pin-point the location of the shot fired, so they can race over and bust whatever moron is firing into the air. Pretty neat technology actually!
Yup. People got hurt a couple times in the five years I lived in Albuquerque, and a little girl was killed in Ogden a couple years ago from that idiocy. Libya probably doesn't have the communications to record/alert about that. :(

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. People got hurt a couple times in the five years I lived in Albuquerque, and a little girl was killed in Ogden a couple years ago from that idiocy. Libya probably doesn't have the communications to record/alert about that. :(

Yeah, I hate reading stuff like that. So sad. I don't even want to imagine what it'd be like to be those parents, losing their child due to some fool using his firearm in possibly the most irresponsible way conceivable. Why not just get some firecrackers? Or if they absolutely must fire wildly, get some blanks!! Of course, I'm sure most of those fools are intoxicated. :spank: And then of course us law abiding, responsible firearms enthusiasts get hosed in the aftermath. :disapprove:

Anyways, yes, it's beyond stupid to fire wildly into the air, and yes, it can kill.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
During one New Year in east San Diego and bullet came through our roof and ceiling. My wife was hit in the head with a piece of drywall. :eek: There was so much gunfire we hid in the bedroom but a round still got through! :scared::scared:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
During one New Year in east San Diego and bullet came through our roof and ceiling. My wife was hit in the head with a piece of drywall. :eek: There was so much gunfire we hid in the bedroom but a round still got through! :scared::scared:

Sounds like yall got lucky!!! I know it happens but i honestly thought that it was a hick thing in the us. Like backwoods folks who got nothin better to do.

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw a quote not long ago from an international organisation(WHO or something like that), where they said how worried they were about all the celebratory gunfire. Can't find it any more, so here is some reading material I found instead :D

20 Palestinians injured in Gaza-rafah
According to information available to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR), on Tuesday, 18 October 2011, 11 Palestinians, including 4 children and two women, were admitted into Shifa Hospital as they were injured by bullets and shrapnel during celebrations of the release of prisoners:

Celebratory Gunfire Is an Indiscriminate Killer
Each day this practise claims more lives, and in Libya it has become an epidemic. Mahmoud Matoub, 11, was one of the most recent victims, killed by the celebrations of rebel fighters in Tripoli last month. Doctors in the city claim to be seeing dozens of patients each day with injuries caused by falling bullets. In Sana’a, Yemen, over 100 people were injured and 40 cars damaged during the celebration of President Saleh’s successful surgery in June.

Tripoli's residents call time on celebratory gunfire
Best quote: "People are shooting in the air wasting ammunition, even artillery rounds," said al Sharif. They are firing artillery rounds off as a celebration :eek: