When to Downshift into 1st

Do you shift down into 1st before 15 mph

• Total voters

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the last time I locked the rear wheel was downshifting into first while braking to avoid colliding with a guy using a leaf blower whom I couldn't go around on account of an oncoming car. It was 19 degrees F (-12 or so C?) and I had ridden less than half a mile, so the tires were like rocks. I was gentle with the clutch, but was using the rear brake a little and the tire still skidded. So now I try never to downshift into first with cold tires. Especially 19 degree cold tires.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
only when rolling to a stop. it is good practice to be in first gear before coming to a stop and stay in gear while waiting for a light so that you can easily move if you have to. the only time i put the bike in neutral while on the street is when i am waiting for a train or something like that and there are several cars behind me that have already stopped safely.

but i rarely use 1st (intentionally) for anything other than starting from a stop or taking a corner with sand that requires extra caution and slower speed.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
only when rolling to a stop. it is good practice to be in first gear before coming to a stop and stay in gear while waiting for a light so that you can easily move if you have to. the only time i put the bike in neutral while on the street is when i am waiting for a train or something like that and there are several cars behind me that have already stopped safely.

Lol did you copy and paste that from the owners manual?

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
^ no, it was taught to me from the begining and at MSF. I think it makes sense. I did the same thing when i was driving my manual car too.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a very safe riding tactic, I just sounded exactly like what Yamaha says lol, so do you only use 1st when taking off from a complete stop?

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
yes, the only times i try to use first is from a stop (or extremely close to a full stop) or when there is a bunch of sand on the road and i want to go over the sand slowly and vertically. when coming up to a stop with agressive braking (and downshifting) I have acidentally hit first when i thought i was entering second and it was quite obvious that i was a gear off in my counting at that point.

Alot of people are uncomfortable with the throttle response of the fz6, and i think those that don't like the jerkyness can help themselves alot by using second gear rather than first gear in many situations.

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Lately I have been downshifting to 1st at about 5 mph. The shift is smoother with less clunk than at other speeds.

Also, when upshifting from 1st to second, I have been shifting to Neutral, then 2nd. Again, for less clunk. This is for normal, acceleration arround town, and I dont do it if there are cars behind me due to the delay.

Of course the above are not always possible depending on speed I am going and traffic.

Happy riding,
DJ

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that why squids and Harley riders are always revving the piss out of their motors at stoplights? Trying to shift into first because they forgot to while they were slowing down? :p

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be very uncomfortable to to downshift to 1st while riding. I wouldn't downshift to 1st until I've first come to a complete stop. The only time I use 1st is if I'm stopped on a steep hill.

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be very uncomfortable to to downshift to 1st while riding. I wouldn't downshift to 1st until I've first come to a complete stop. The only time I use 1st is if I'm stopped on a steep hill.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I downshift through all the gears when coming to a stop but when I pop it into first I leave the clutch pulled in. I use engine braking in all the other gears but it doesn't like going down into first. I can use first if I need it by releasing the clutch but it's much smoother to just keep the clutch pulled in after going into first. Then I can put it in neutral or release the clutch and be on my way depending on the situation.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it once on the approach to lights at around 15-20mph. Wooooah, won't be doing that again without a slipper clutch! Locked up the rear before the engine caught up.
Honestly, this bike has enough grunt in 2nd to pull away pretty smartly at 15 so I'm a little baffled why anyone would want to get to 1st that early...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
As y'all get some more miles on your bikes youll see that 1st isnt that bad. With the fz's snatchy throttle it takes so getting used to but I use 1st all the time. Downshifting isn't bad either as long as you rev match and do it quickly, even above 10k. If you rev match the rear wont lock up, it's when you pull the clutch in and give the engine rpms time to go down that it locks up. I've even gotten to where I sometimes clutchless downshift to 1st smoothly, it's all about timing and trying to match rpms that make it smooth.

tjohalloran1994

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I was wondering how many of you guys downshift to first at any speed or if you wait till you get to the 15 mph speed that the Yamaha book states. If you do downshift at higher speeds what speed do you shift at.
I usually try to stay in second gear. Most of the time when I stop at stop signs I leave it in second. For stop lights I shift into first. Once when I put it in first I let out the clutch too quick and locked the rear wheel. Therefore I rarely ever shift down to first.

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
I don't drop below 2nd for anything under 9mph per my speedo. Usually if I'm down shifting, I'll drop down to 3rd and feather the clutch for engine breaking at around 40mph and then once its rev'd down, I'll do the same for 2nd. Then I coast to about 15mph and decide if I will need to stop completely. If I do, then I am good to down shift to 1st, if I don't then I'm already at a good rolling speed for 2nd and can get back on the throttle directly and start upshifting again as needed.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would downshift into first at about 10mph or less. I would preload the shift lever and when I would feel it about to slip into 1st I would pull the clutch lever and then release for smooth downshift. Sometiems I would mix a little throttle in, but usually I would just maintain a low 2000 rpm throttle.

i would do it coming to all starts.

I started doing that because I had the issue that some other forum members have mentioned about not being able to downshift at all, or getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd when stopping at a light.