What Kind Of Bike Is The FZ6?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is too heavy to be classified as a sportbike, plus hard to explain a sportbike with a 5.1 gallon tank. If it were one or the other, meaning touring, I would say touring, but on the bottom end of the touring spectrum. However, it can be ridden like a sportbike since it has some features that can compete with them. Thus, making it the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your FZ6 was a car it would be something like a Lexus or Infiniti sedan, a small one albeit.

An R6 or R1 is a true sport bike.

Great analogy Pete but Lexus or Infiniti are high end cars, the FZ6 is relatively on the cheap end in the motorcycle world. Maybe more like a Kia Optima?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
did someone say CHEAP!!!!!

grrrrrr! :stupidpc:

ok, i didn't pay much. but no one has ever accused my bike of being or looking cheap!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is too heavy to be classified as a sportbike, plus hard to explain a sportbike with a 5.1 gallon tank. If it were one or the other, meaning touring, I would say touring, but on the bottom end of the touring spectrum. However, it can be ridden like a sportbike since it has some features that can compete with them. Thus, making it the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

You do realize the FZ6 and an R1 are within 5 pounds of each other.... not to mention the R1 rocks a 4.8 gallon tank. The R6 is about 40 lbs lighter, but it's gas tank at 4.5 gallons is once again fairly close to the FZ6. Heck, even GP bikes carry over 5 gallons of gas.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Great analogy Pete but Lexus or Infiniti are high end cars, the FZ6 is relatively on the cheap end in the motorcycle world. Maybe more like a Kia Optima?

Nah, FZ6 is more like a BRZ/Miata. Crap power and suspension out of the box, but can be made to go Fast. The Optima would maybe be the Star Bolt?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
According to that, so is the SR400. And it ain't. Definitely.

Sure it is, it was definitely a sport bike when it was new. Even now, the SR400 is quiet capable on a backroad.

resize007.jpeg

Looks sporty to me...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good call Kenny. While cycling today it hit me, a VW Jetta! That's it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure it is, it was definitely a sport bike when it was new. Even now, the SR400 is quiet capable on a backroad.

resize007.jpeg

Looks sporty to me...

That is not even close to a stock SR.

The SR500 was never sold as a sport bike. It was an inexpensive, low power commuter. The RD400, Seca 550, and the Vision were Yamaha's small bore sport bikes back then.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
That is not even close to a stock SR.

The SR500 was never sold as a sport bike. It was an inexpensive, low power commuter. The RD400, Seca 550, and the Vision were Yamaha's small bore sport bikes back then.

Well, Yamaha is selling it as a sport bike now, but that's besides the point.

A motorcycle is exactly what you make of it, if you cruise on your FZ it's a cruiser, if you tour on it it's a tourer, if you track the FZ it's a sport bike. Same thing could go for any bike really.

Heck, some would even argue the Panigale is a touring bike.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Yamaha is selling it as a sport bike now, but that's besides the point.

A motorcycle is exactly what you make of it, if you cruise on your FZ it's a cruiser, if you tour on it it's a tourer, if you track the FZ it's a sport bike. Same thing could go for any bike really.

Heck, some would even argue the Panigale is a touring bike.

Because Yamaha does't provide the correct category for it and they needed to put it somewhere. With that reasoning I can argue a Yugo is a sports car.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Exciting, fun and more fun. It's not sport bikes but hooligan bikes that put the big grin on your face. My 990 fits the exciting bill quite nicely.

IMG_2657_zpscdbb7835.jpg

Don't get hung up on what your bike is called, just have a good time.

Highway 36! :cheer: Loved that road!!! I wanna do it again.... Did it on my FZ6 and would love to do it on my Triumph Spint St this summer.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem. Not a sportbike, sort of a standard, sort of a sport tourer. It's an oddball. Try explaining that to a non motorcycle person.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if anyone has to ask they will never understand. It isn't your nieghbours Harley, Gixxer, 600RR, or what ever they ride and the FZ6 will never compare to any of them. Unless they have a FZ1, then the 6 is smaller .... they typically don't ask though.

I tell folks its a blue giggle factory....

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
I just tell them it is sport bike derived just detuned for mid range instead of top end that you sit up straight on for much better comfort and distance riding.

Then I let them make up their mind in what they want to consider it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk