• Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HavBlue

Re: what type/brand of oil do you use?

Mobil 1 15W50 with 20% full synthetic Lucas in the whole lot except for the two strokes. Can't beat it for $5 a quart at Wally World...

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I will run Rotella 15-40 during break in, then most likely Rotella Synthetic.

Oh and Lucas oil stabilizer can be bad for engines. It can cause the oil to hold air and cause bearing damage. Had 2 engine failures due to it.

More info: What about Additives?

H

HavBlue

I will run Rotella 15-40 during break in, then most likely Rotella Synthetic.

Oh and Lucas oil stabilizer can be bad for engines. It can cause the oil to hold air and cause bearing damage. Had 2 engine failures due to it.

More info: What about Additives?

Do to what? Foaming? Now, I don't use a blended oil and I don't just pour Lucas in an unregulated amount into a crankcase that has a huge air gap in it either. I have had zero problems running pure synthetic Lucas (not used by the oil guy) and I have never experienced any foaming at all. My Jeep has been using it for the last 200,000 miles and it still runs awesome and quiet too. Now, I'm not saying the foaming can't happen, only that I have yet to experience any problems with Lucas at all.

Now, as to Bobs test, PVC and Lexan can develop gases when under heated temperatures which can cause foaming on their own. Also is the amount of Lucas that is added to the system as (one must read the directions) or as one guy over on the Mercedes forum found out when he put pure 100% Lucas in his diff, it "will" foam much as many additives will when not used in their respective proportions.

To each there own....

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

Motul for me!

Etec 100 fully syntetic. Made my shifting smoother, took out some of that horrible clunking between 1st and 2nd. It is still there, but not as bad as it was with what ever was in there when I got it.

-bryan

W

wrightme43

I am big fan of the Crisco vegetable oil. I also like Bertolli olive oil. That stuff rocks.
In the bike Mobil One.
Go here, California Scientific Motorcycle Windshields read alot.
Make your own decision based on information, not opinions.
Hope it helps.

H

HavBlue

I am big fan of the Crisco vegetable oil. I also like Bertolli olive oil. That stuff rocks.
In the bike Mobil One.
Go here, California Scientific Motorcycle Windshields read alot.
Make your own decision based on information, not opinions.
Hope it helps.

"I am not a lubrication, filtering, chemical or mechanical engineer. I have a degree in engineering, but I studied electrical engineering. I now study physics. You may feel free to question my abilities to gather facts and draw conclusions in the area of oils and filters. In any case, this is a write up of what I learned in about 75 hours of research on this topic. My only interest is having my motorcycle run forever, never break, and be easy to maintain."

Who is this guy and why does 75 hours of research make him any more or less opinionated than others. While much of what he says is true there is an equal amount that could be argued. One thing is for certain, he is by no means an expert on oils.....

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

"I am not a lubrication, filtering, chemical or mechanical engineer. I have a degree in engineering, but I studied electrical engineering. I now study physics. You may feel free to question my abilities...

I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and for some reason they are having us take an electrical engineering class. Well, I am failing that pretty much, would you care to help, lol?

-bryan

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site

I usually put the nearest oil in. If i happen to be at yamaha then its yamalube, if im at walmart its tha castrol stuff and if im at cycle gear i'll grab whatever is on sale.

No matter what, i always buy my oil filter from wal-mart. I change my oil every 1 to 2 months and i just cant see buying a $8 filter from yamaha or a $12 filter from cycle gear when i can buy one at walmart for $2.49

W

wrightme43

"I am not a lubrication, filtering, chemical or mechanical engineer. I have a degree in engineering, but I studied electrical engineering. I now study physics. You may feel free to question my abilities to gather facts and draw conclusions in the area of oils and filters. In any case, this is a write up of what I learned in about 75 hours of research on this topic. My only interest is having my motorcycle run forever, never break, and be easy to maintain."

Who is this guy and why does 75 hours of research make him any more or less opinionated than others. While much of what he says is true there is an equal amount that could be argued. One thing is for certain, he is by no means an expert on oils.....

HavBlue your consistent ability to pick and choose what you quote from sites is great.
I have tried keeping you on ignore. You are a know it all, and consistently antagonistic. I have been very tired of it, and I still am. Please just put me on ignore, dont read my posts, dont quote my posts, and I will return the favor. I only open your posts after being p.m.ed about thier content, or you quote me.

For normal people follow the links, read the information that is there. There is quite a bit of very hard to understand information presented in a way that can be understood. It is a very helpful site with lots of good information presented.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

HavBlue your consistent ability to pick and choose what you quote from sites is great.
I have tried keeping you on ignore. You are a know it all, and consistently antagonistic. I have been very tired of it, and I still am. Please just put me on ignore, dont read my posts, dont quote my posts, and I will return the favor. I only open your posts after being p.m.ed about thier content, or you quote me.

For normal people follow the links, read the information that is there. There is quite a bit of very hard to understand information presented in a way that can be understood. It is a very helpful site with lots of good information presented.

Oh I love it when he does that, then I can argue with him. Its kind of like a hobby. The funny part is I forget what the heck we are arguing about.

Someone asked him one time if all people from Kentucky are hard headed!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and for some reason they are having us take an electrical engineering class. Well, I am failing that pretty much, would you care to help, lol?

-bryan

Don't sweat it. What I've noticed after 14 years in the Tech manufacturing industy as Liberal Arts major is that most engineers become managers after awhile, or they see their jobs go to India or China. Seriously. So become an excellent engineer, design some cool stuff and then at about year 3 to 5 begin to develop excellent people management skills to complement your engineering skills and you will go far.

Yeah I know that this has nothing to do will oil, I like the stuff that is on sale.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do to what? Foaming? Now, I don't use a blended oil and I don't just pour Lucas in an unregulated amount into a crankcase that has a huge air gap in it either. I have had zero problems running pure synthetic Lucas (not used by the oil guy) and I have never experienced any foaming at all. My Jeep has been using it for the last 200,000 miles and it still runs awesome and quiet too. Now, I'm not saying the foaming can't happen, only that I have yet to experience any problems with Lucas at all.

Now, as to Bobs test, PVC and Lexan can develop gases when under heated temperatures which can cause foaming on their own. Also is the amount of Lucas that is added to the system as (one must read the directions) or as one guy over on the Mercedes forum found out when he put pure 100% Lucas in his diff, it "will" foam much as many additives will when not used in their respective proportions.

To each there own....

Yes, I do not know how much Lucas was added to the test, but I have had 2 small engines suffer plain bearing damage with in 15-20 hours of adding the stuff. Both engines had roller bearings on the PTO end and plain bearings on the flywheel end. The engines were a Kohler Command CV13 and a Honda GX160. I think this Lucas stuff is just snake oil. It may work under certain circumstances, but is generally not good. Your experiences seem good so do what works.

The oil I was using at the time was a well known synthetic with a excellent polyalphaolefin base stock and very robust add pack with little VI additives. The oil sample I had analyzed, (from the Kohler) showed lots of wear metals (aluminum, chromium, copper, iron), most likely due to air being trapped in the oil causing the bearing to wear.

As you stated, it works for you, but I am very leery of anything that you add to engine oil. Lots of work goes in to developing base stocks and additive packages that go into motor oil.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

I was laughing to myself because they couldn't understand the voltage loop law.

The what? What does that have to do with electrical stuff, lol. Nah Im not that bad, but it still gets me man. I would rather just deal with forces on objects... its more fun that way.

-bryan

H

HavBlue

-bryan

Sorry, that quote was from the guy that wrote the observations from the make shift experiment. My degree is in Biology and while the human brain and various other body parts do respond to electrical impulse it's a bit different than 12vdc or 110/240vac.

H

HavBlue

Note: I am always interested in the truth as opposed to hearsay or facts that are posted and pushed as the end all to why things are the way they are. BS is BS no matter how it is presented and if you care to acknowledge it as gospel to each there own. If you grow tired of the truth then do some better research...... Nuf said....

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site

Shell Rotella T - I do not think that the Rotella T is synthetic - so I did not vote

dark_isz

rejected liberal
Reaction score
Visit site

Shell Rotella T - I do not think that the Rotella T is synthetic - so I did not vote

It comes in both varieties. Blue jug Rotella is synthetic, White jug is regular.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.