• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: what type/brand of oil do you use?

Went to pick up a filter last night and looked for synthetic rotella to price it and did not see any - though I 'may' have over looked it because I expected a white bottle??? hmmm

I've seen white Rotella a couple of places down here, but I've only found blue synthetic Rotella at Wal-Mart. :confused:

im still in break in and just changed the oil @ 100km from the yamalube 10w30 to Petro Can Duron heavy duty 10w30. http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resource/download.aspx?type=TechData&iproduct=182&language=en

its what we use in our 6L powerstrokes so i know it can take a beating. better yet it meets JASO MA requirements given for our FZ6. after 1000km ill think about switching to a synthetic but considering i get this oil for free i might not now.

"JASO MA

In many 4-stroke motorbikes, the motor oi lubrcates the transmission and clutch as well as the engne. If a car grade motor oil is used clutch slipping may occur at high power loads. But if you see the JASO MA specification on the oil container, you can be sure that the clutch will always bite.

Motorcycle engines place different demands on motor oils than do passenger vehicles. In the case of passenger vehicles, the focus is on fuel economy and extended oil hange intervals, factors that by the nature of things are not important with motorcycles. On bikess, engines offering increasingly higher torques and RPMs are being used to genertae more and more power. And this is where oil additives are causing the wet clutches used on bikes to slip.

JASO MA Offers an answer

In response to the requests from leading motorcycle manufacturers, the japanese Automobile Standards Organisation (JASO) has introduced JASO MA and MB, the first specifications to apply solely to motor oils for 4-stroke motorcycle with wet clutches. These standards set additional lubricant requirements beyond the spark-ignition motor oil grades defined by API or ACEA.

The JASO T 903 bench test determines coefficients of friction under various operating conditions compared with the reference oil. The results allow oils to be divided into two catagories:

MA = Non Slipping Oil
MB = Slipping Oil

Coefficient of friction measurements that conform to MA requirements guaruntee that clutch slipping will not occur under any load condition on even the most high performance racing bikes. These values are therefore specified by leading motorcycle manufacturers."

My choices were Yamalube and Mobile 1 semi, I would like to give Rotella a go. My dealer looked at me when I asked for it. "As if I had just suggested his teenage daughter surrender her virginity to me" I assumed that it was then not freely availible in the UK.

Re: How to do an oil change

Nice post - I like the tin foil idea...I did my oil change yesterday and used a short funnel under the drain to catch and guide the oil - but the foil would be easier.

My choices were Yamalube and Mobile 1 semi, I would like to give Rotella a go. My dealer looked at me when I asked for it. "As if I had just suggested his teenage daughter surrender her virginity to me" I assumed that it was then not freely availible in the UK.

Yeah, I would not look for Rotella at the dealer. I got funny looks too the first time I asked for it. I usually by Rotella at Wal-mart. As you are across "the pond" I suggest looking at truck stops or implement dealers.

Repsol 4T Synthetic 10W40 - Because their paint jobs look so cool.

sv-repsol-lrg.jpg

Even as a Zuk!

Where do you get 20W-40 oil???

Been looking around for the 20W-40 oil that the bike manual says to use if you're riding in 60+ degree weather, but that is a very rare type.

Where do you guys get yours, or do you substitute another type, like 20W-50?

Re: Where do you get 20W-40 oil???

After seeing a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts using Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 all year long, I went to Wallmart (first time in my life at Wallmart :p) to pick up a couple of gallons... did my oil change this past wkd and I am really happy, as I can feel quite a big diff when switching gears.

I used Castrol Synthec before and had not felt such a diff between oil changes.... I think I am going to stick with Rotella 5/40 from now on:thumbup:

Wavex, are you saying that the gear shifts are smoother? Yes, I know---and read some of them---that there are Fzillion threads on oil, but I think I'll try Rotella if the shifts are noticebly smoother. I have never, ever used a synthetic oil before. I'm currently using Yamalube (20-50?). No clutch slippage?? The local Yamaha dealer said that the recommended viscosity is not even available any longer. Yamalube is so expensive (since one must buy it at the dealer) that I could probably switch to Rotella for same or not much more, huh?

Wavex, are you saying that the gear shifts are smoother? Yes, I know---and read some of them---that there are Fzillion threads on oil, but I think I'll try Rotella if the shifts are noticebly smoother. I have never, ever used a synthetic oil before. I'm currently using Yamalube (20-50?). No clutch slippage?? The local Yamaha dealer said that the recommended viscosity is not even available any longer. Yamalube is so expensive (since one must buy it at the dealer) that I could probably switch to Rotella for same or not much more, huh?

have used rotella in my quad and it makes a huge difference in the shifting. I will be putting it in my bike this weekend! Time for the 600 mile service baby!!!

Yeah guys, just try it and report back... I for sure did not expect such a drastic change. I hope it`ll last for a while or else I`ll have to change my oil more often :D

After seeing a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts using Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 all year long, I went to Wallmart (first time in my life at Wallmart :p) to pick up a couple of gallons... did my oil change this past wkd and I am really happy, as I can feel quite a big diff when switching gears.

I used Castrol Synthec before and had not felt such a diff between oil changes.... I think I am going to stick with Rotella 5/40 from now on:thumbup:

I have started doing a little more indepth oil research after a guy from Amsoil came in and gave us a hour long sales pitch on how good it was. He had some good points here and there but it got my currosity up.

Turns out that most shelf oils are all Base III stock which isn't really synthetic. Even though they say synthetic, which all started when Castrol claimed there Base III a synthetic. After a huge lawsuit they allowed that and everyone went along with it. Mostly though this is only in the states. The only Castrol that is Base IV is some stuff from Germany.

Pensoil Platnium is as Base III, there is talk that Mobil 1 has gone to a base III and there are some other large names that have droped their "synthetics" to base III oils.

Motul is a combo of base IV and base V and in some cases strickly base V.

Not sure if this base stock has been talked about much. But its worth looking into if not.

-bryan

Mobil is and has been as far as I know a true PAO synthetic. If the Amsoil guy said different it is just not true unless something has drasticly changed.
Rotella is a synthetic oil made from crude oil. It has the same properties.
Mobil one is basicly the only READILY available true PAO synthetic.
Rotella stnth T is a kick but oil too. I just buy mobil one because I like it.

Here is what happens when you run just plain mobil one in your car for 18,000 miles only topping up what goes with filter changes and loss. It is tested by blackstone oil labs.
Mobil 1 Test Results

And a test that made 14000 miles with blackstone labs testing on Amsoil. Both are excellent oils.

Amsoil Test Results

Amsoil is pure PAO synth oil as well, its just not readily available and sells at huge premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back