• Scorpion

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As of 30 minutes ago the FZ6 just got a new set of Akrapovics installed. Had to play hookie from work once the cycle shop called and said they were in. They are quite and look totally cool! I'll post some photos and details in the next day or so.

Pete

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Neil.

I bought the cheapest pipes and they got the best rating (on a different bike of course).

You just made me feel really good about being frugal :D

Scorpion FTW!

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the stainless Scorpions too. I really like them. The tone is fantastic and they look much better than the faux stock plastic cans.

Graven

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet Sound

I just put the Scorpions on before New Years, and the sound is great. The price is as well. I don't think they are too loud, but just a good sound with a deep note. I actually got to ride with them here in PA in January and I am very pleased. Now, I just want to get through inspection but I am told that it's not a problem. I think that a little louder pipe is also a little safer as well. Some one may hear me if they don't see me, and know that I'm there.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Two Brothers. They're a little expensive but I wanted the sound after 2 years of stock exhaust. Very deep, throaty growl. Turns into a roar at the high rpms. Love 'em.

H

HavBlue

There's something about being able to blow by a cop at 100mph and being so quiet if that cop didn't see you he/she would never know you were there. One thing I have observed with the newer machines from around 2004-2005 up is that the factory exhausts offer very similar horsepower to the aftermarket because the new exhausts are that good and they comply with noise regs too. The aftermarket systems seem to alter the powerband more than actually generating more usable horsepower. To me, the actual price being paid for the aftermarket system on the FZ6 isn't worth the end result which is little gain with the exception of the I can hear you factor and maybe the butt dyno effect.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to make more noise. :D
I miss the rumble of my old parallel-twin Triumphs when I'm just poodling around town.
I've ordered a set of Scorpion Carbon Fiber exhausts which should fill the bill.
I have my bike parked at my son's house, so it'll be his neighbours I'll be PO'ing instead of mine. :D

H

HavBlue

I just want to make more noise. :D
I miss the rumble of my old parallel-twin Triumphs when I'm just poodling around town.
I've ordered a set of Scorpion Carbon Fiber exhausts which should fill the bill.
I have my bike parked at my son's house, so it'll be his neighbours I'll be PO'ing instead of mine. :D

Heck, if noise was all you wanted you could have saved some major bucks and just removed the tailpipe altogether. This way you could really get to them neighbors and it would take no time at all to heat up that rear tire as all that flow would have gone directly on to the tire. Now you'd have money for a power commander too...:rockon:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh heh...I'm looking for quality noise, ya see...straight through pipes (so favoured by those people) are so...well....gauche. :p
Just my personal opinion (and not looking for validation of my decision to install Scorpions), but I think the only weak part of an FZ6's design and appearance are the plastic muffler covers; that's what put me off an FZ6 initially until I started appreciating the FZ6's superior ergo's over its competitors. Yes, I know that they run cooler to the touch, etc., but taking a passenger is not an option for me. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch for Yamaha to have come up with a more attractive alternative.
IAE, I'm installing the Scorpions for appearance as well as a modest decibel increase. I doubt very much that I'll be any more inclined to use full throttle any more than I am with the OEM mufflers. ;)

H

HavBlue

Heh heh...I'm looking for quality noise, ya see...straight through pipes (so favoured by those people) are so...well....gauche. :p
Just my personal opinion (and not looking for validation of my decision to install Scorpions), but I think the only weak part of an FZ6's design and appearance are the plastic muffler covers; that's what put me off an FZ6 initially until I started appreciating the FZ6's superior ergo's over its competitors. Yes, I know that they run cooler to the touch, etc., but taking a passenger is not an option for me. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch for Yamaha to have come up with a more attractive alternative.
IAE, I'm installing the Scorpions for appearance as well as a modest decibel increase. I doubt very much that I'll be any more inclined to use full throttle any more than I am with the OEM mufflers. ;)

The quality sound you seek can be achieved through use of a slip in baffle. As for the exhaust gill on the stock bike, I much prefer that over the looking at a hose clamp in the middle of an expensive tube.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Man alive...are they all as stubborn as you in Kentucky? :p:thumbup:
I do hear you, Blue ;) ...but I'm sticking to my guns and putting some decent British "silencers" on my FZ6. It's red, for heaven's sake. It needs to make a nicer noise.
I'll be the first to agree that "you told me so" if I'm taking them off again in a few months.

H

HavBlue

Remember this? I'm installing the Scorpions for appearance as well as a modest decibel increase.

Now there is the understatement of the century. There's nothing modest about the difference between the stock exhaust in terms of dbA and the Scorpion dbA.
One you can't hear 50 yards away and the other you can hear a mile away or more depending on the circumstances.

Then you posted this:
I just want to make more noise.
I have my bike parked at my son's house, so it'll be his neighbours I'll be PO'ing instead of mine.

Can ya feel the love hear?

If ya wanted to make noise and piss off a few neighbors you're going about it the wrong way as it won't be loud enough. I do however wish you the best of luck.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The quality sound you seek can be achieved through use of a slip in baffle. As for the exhaust gill on the stock bike, I much prefer that over the looking at a hose clamp in the middle of an expensive tube.

I don't know Blue, that plastic shroud is cheese to me. It isn't anything but dressing, a cover, I don't get it. All the other mufflers on 99% of the motorcycles in the world are just that, a muffler not a plastic cover. It's like a fake wood on a car, or a fake vinyl top. I just don't get it, why have it? Besides my Arkos don't have a hose clamp, they have a fancy pants carbon fiber "supporting loop". :Flip: