what are the co's??????

Reaction score
Visit site
i cant figure out what everyone is talking about when they say that they are adjusting them for power or exhaust. ive even went through the service manual and still cant figure it out.

Reaction score
Visit site
where is the adjustment for those bad boys. i gutted my muffler and i wouldnt mind being able to adjust a little and try to get more out of it than just a change in db.

lilleman

Crash test Dummie
Reaction score
Visit site
i cant figure out what everyone is talking about when they say that they are adjusting them for power or exhaust. ive even went through the service manual and still cant figure it out.

In short you can adjust mixture; higher Co Value richens the mixture wich is usefull when you've put on a slip on.You don't wanna go too lean. Ultimate ratio depend on altitude and so on. But the only way to make it perfect is to install a PC and test it on a Dyno.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I knew more about the specifics for this, but there is a way to go in and adjust the settings on your bike. This was a fairly popular thing to do on another forum with a diferent model Yamaha. They called it a "barbarian" mod. It is somewhat crude, as you can only add or detract from the existing baseline that already exists. It does not allow you to perfectly tune each cylinder to a diferent setting that it should be. Anyway, if I remember correctly, they accessed the ability to do this with a jumper wire at some place in the wiring harness.
I don't know if it would be of any specific value to you, but if you would like, I can research that information and bring you a link showing what they did with that other Yamaha.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
E bay sell power mods, which is a resistor you add to the fuel system electrics that increases the air/fuel ratio thus giving more HP.
Personally I dont think it's worth it and if its wrong you could burn valves/pistons.
Use a power commander and dyno, it's much safer but more expensive!!!

Reaction score
Visit site
im workin on my power commander and a pipe i just got to save my money. im looking at inexpensive alternatives right now. with all the projects i got going i gota budget in my bike upgrades.:rolleyes:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
don't waste money on a power commander (pc3) on a yamaha! a fifty cent piece of wire, ring terminal and a pin connector will get you the same power so long as you dyno tune.
There is a six pin connector under the tank where on one half, six wires come in and only five come out. Separate the plug halves and push out the rubber stopper covering the unused terminal. run the new wire from that terminal to a good ground and you are ready to adjust.
adjusting is simple! hold down the select and reset buttons for a couple seconds with the key off then turn the key on while holding the buttons for about 7 seconds more. "diag" should appear on the display. press select to switch to "co" then select and reset simultaneously to select "co" mode. adjust "c1" and "c2" the same increments up (write down your factory settings) while dynoing until your power starts to fall off.
Any other questions?

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you sir. that is exactly what i needed to get me by with this. i am a gud tech but i havent the experiance with the new motorcycle efi systems yet. they are simular to automotive but different also. i think that they should add an o2 sensor and a mass airflow sensor to the system and do away with needing a programmer. also would add better economy and performance. but i dont know anything. this should get me by until i start to amp it up some more:D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
don't waste money on a power commander (pc3) on a yamaha! a fifty cent piece of wire, ring terminal and a pin connector will get you the same power so long as you dyno tune.
There is a six pin connector under the tank where on one half, six wires come in and only five come out. Separate the plug halves and push out the rubber stopper covering the unused terminal. run the new wire from that terminal to a good ground and you are ready to adjust.
adjusting is simple! hold down the select and reset buttons for a couple seconds with the key off then turn the key on while holding the buttons for about 7 seconds more. \"diag\" should appear on the display. press select to switch to \"co\" then select and reset simultaneously to select \"co\" mode. adjust \"c1\" and \"c2\" the same increments up (write down your factory settings) while dynoing until your power starts to fall off.
Any other questions?

I have no access to a dyno, how much have people been adjusting and with what mods? I don't want to go overboard, but if people are consistently upping them bu 10 or 15 clicks then i would like to get a little more, but nothing too much without access to a proper dyno.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
going too far will make it rich not lean. there really isn't a good way to tell without a dyno. the only other way would be a wideband oxygen sensor.
we will be dynoing this saturday where I work, if you wanna come cross country for it.

what mods you got reio?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so far just the airbox opening mod, i will be getting a k&n over the winter and might get to an exhaust (at the very least opening up the stock exhaust and making the openings (exits) larger)

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
so far just the airbox opening mod, i will be getting a k&n over the winter and might get to an exhaust (at the very least opening up the stock exhaust and making the openings (exits) larger)

I don't know what kind of increase you would need (if any) considering you are really still running a stock bike. Maybe 5 clicks up? I doubt an airbox mod is much good without a better filter.

lilleman

Crash test Dummie
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking around in different threads and after finally pu my own bike on a dyno, it seems that most peolpe seem to end up with a co value of +20 to + 29.

My final set up was co +25, riding all stock apart from Akrapovic slip on without noise dampers.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what kind of increase you would need (if any) considering you are really still running a stock bike. Maybe 5 clicks up? I doubt an airbox mod is much good without a better filter.

with a lot of reading on this site, it seems that the bike us set "less than optimal" from the factory, so i really just want to adjust that first, then get it going with the further mods that i do,

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
with a lot of reading on this site, it seems that the bike us set \"less than optimal\" from the factory, so i really just want to adjust that first, then get it going with the further mods that i do,

well heck just give it a go and have fun playing with it. so long as you stay +/- 20 points from your factory settings, no harm should come. only a slight gain or loss of fuel economy or power would be possible shooting in the dark (no dyno or A/F meter).

Reaction score
Visit site
well i tried the grounding of the wire under tank and adjusted the cos last nite. c1 was -5 and c2 was 14. i put them both on 21 and im not 100% but i think i finally got to feel a difference in power since i gutted my muffler. its 40 degrees and pavement was a little wet but i was rolling bout 10mph and gunned it. it instantly started frying the tire:eek:. first time that ever happened like that! so thanks everybody:D:thumbup:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
well i tried the grounding of the wire under tank and adjusted the cos last nite. c1 was -5 and c2 was 14. i put them both on 21 and im not 100% but i think i finally got to feel a difference in power since i gutted my muffler. its 40 degrees and pavement was a little wet but i was rolling bout 10mph and gunned it. it instantly started frying the tire:eek:. first time that ever happened like that! so thanks everybody:D:thumbup:

you are probably running pretty rich at that setting. also, I would suggest keeping the C2 richer than C1 because the inside cylinders (C2) run hotter and need a richer mixture to keep detonation away. I would suggest knocking the C1 down to 10 and C2 up to 29 to maintain the 19 point spread that was factory set. Try it out and see how it feels.