Well, I finally had a "duh" moment

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I was wrapping up a nice evening ride and pulling into the gas station for some go juice. I shut the bike off and put down my kickstand, or so I thought. As I started to stand up, I noticed the bike wasn't leaning over as much as it usually does. Immediately after, the bike went down. I laid it down as gently as I could but there was no way I was prepared or balanced enough to keep it upright. I felt like an idiot and it didn't help when I motioned for a couple teenagers to come help me and they just smiled and waved at me :disapprove: A nice guy came right over and helped me stand it up right away. If I hadn't been immediately next to the pump, I probably could have stood it up from behind my bike like I saw in that video, but I barely had room for myself. We stood it up and I prepared myself mentally for the damage survey. It could have been much much worse. The only damage was to the crankcase cover, about a square inch of paint was rubbed off. The left mirror looked bent but "popped" right back into place, just like the left footpeg. The left frameslider has a little scratch on the bottom and I'm convinced that more of the bike and probably my body would be more hurt than it was had I not had them! :thumbup: Of course, I've learned a big lesson...ALWAYS look at your kickstand!!! :banghead:

Now the important question, what's the best way to help hide my little "mistake" on the crankcase cover? I'm sure that question has been raised before!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sharpie!

Sorry to hear this happened. Just glad is wasn't an off while at speed!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there a couple ways that people fix those mistakes, ranging from repainting, to touch up paint to replacing the whole damn thing... depends on how much you care about the quality of the repair.

Tim77

FZ6 in Connecticut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped mine in the driveway a week after I got it.... My driveway is steep and I was rolling backward down the driveway, then turned the bars to turn the bike around so I could go forward down the driveway... The bike started to lean more to the downhill side and when I went to catch it my jeans caught the peg and I couldnt move my leg away. The bike went down and scratched the crankcase cover. The (useless) Shogun frame sliders did NOTHING to protect the bike. I was so mad at myself that I got myself up off the ground and grabbed the bike by the handlebars and passenger handle and lifted. The bike came right up as if it weighed only 50 pounds. It's true what they say about adrenalin when your fired up...

Oh yah... I purchased a new cover at the dealer for $60 and a new gasket and replaced it.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens to the best of us. As long as you learned from it... It's really not so bad. Hurts your pride more than anything and that sucks :spank: You will recover. :thumbup:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did something similar last year, I was parking in my garage and actually got off (the floor is cement flat) and it stood there for about 10 minutes, i closed the door and left and soon as i walked in the house i hear a "CRASH", and im like omg, Thankfully the riding lawnmore caught my bike because i parked right next to it, although it the broke the mirror clear off and had to fix that. Never hit the ground, but did hit the lawnmore. Kickstand wasnt all the way down,, I was lucky.

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
I did basically the same thing last Friday. As I got off my bike it tipped over onto my wife's Honda Rebel. There wasn't a scratch on her bike until then. It put a small crease in her tank, but it didn't scratch the paint. I'll take it to a body shop when the weather gets better and see it they can pop the dent out. Didn't do any damage to my FZ fortunately. I feel terrible for having dented her bike. :( She took it better than I did, I'm so mad at myself for having done it.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I did basically the same thing last Friday. As I got off my bike it tipped over onto my wife's Honda Rebel. There wasn't a scratch on her bike until then. It put a small crease in her tank, but it didn't scratch the paint. I'll take it to a body shop when the weather gets better and see it they can pop the dent out. Didn't do any damage to my FZ fortunately. I feel terrible for having dented her bike. :( She took it better than I did, I'm so mad at myself for having done it.

Oh man, I would feel terrible too! I don't think women are as hung up on that kind of thing, though. I always get upset about dents and stuff on my car, but my wife never would have noticed things like that on hers. Of course, she was a little irritated at my bike incident because it's her bike, too ;)

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, I would feel terrible too! I don't think women are as hung up on that kind of thing, though. I always get upset about dents and stuff on my car, but my wife never would have noticed things like that on hers. Of course, she was a little irritated at my bike incident because it's her bike, too ;)

Are you kidding?!?! I go ballistic when I see another vehicle or, God forbid.....a shopping cart too close to my car! And the FZ6 had been dropped, so it has cosmetic damage, which also pisses me off everytime I look at it! But, it's life, right? Stuff happens.

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, sorry for the mishap.

I had a similar injury to my bike when a kid pulled it over in a parking lot and the crank case cover had a little paint scrape in it. I fixed it by taking a large flat piece of cardboard and cutting a hole in it that was approximately the same size as the scraped area. I held the cardboard in front of the cover with the hole and scrape aligned. Then I took a can of flat black Rustoleum high heat spray paint and sprayed a continuous stream from about 12 inches away while waving the cardboard a little in a circular motion. This allowed a small mist of paint to filter through the hole and cover the scraped area and blended the stock paint and the spray paint so that there is no definite line. Result. . . the perfect cover up.

W

wrightme43

Bummer on the scratch man. Its just part of motorcycling. They fall down, at least is out of the way now. I have the extended sliders and my crankcase have never touched, two drops and one solid lowside crash.

SWMGMC

Reaction score
Visit site
I am female and have an '08 FZ6 that I scratched while trying to park in a downtown Austin parking garage. IT NEARLY KILLED ME!!

So, you see boys, women DO get hung up about these things... (and to make me feel better my husband not only helped me get my baby pretty again but hooked up some blue LED lights on the FZ's underbody!!)