Valve Adjustments, have you had it done?

Valve adustment, have you had it done yet?

• Yes, I had it done and did it myself.

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • Yes, I had it done by a shop and it cost me.......

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • No, not yet but soon.

Votes: 311 81.6%

• Total voters
Still waiting for the member to post that they had it done by some shop, I want to know how much they paid, or how much should it cost.

Had the local shop around my area (renton motorcycle... huge shop in washington) do it at 23k (I know, I know OCD...) and it cost me $365, and when i asked how it went the mechanic looked at me and said it was all in perfect spec. I am still glad i did it, I take good care of my bike... lossa money in it and i want it to last... I commute 200+ miles a day on it.

Did it myself last week with a r6 cam swap. All valves were in spec. I got a $70 shim kit and did not use it. Also put a manual chain tensioner in now it is nice quiet no more chain rattle

I just had the valves adjusted today. My bike has 49000kms (approx. 30000 miles), so the FZ6 was a little overdue for it. ALL of the exhaust valves needed shims and all of the intake valves were in spec. I am very glad I had it done! My bike runs smoother with a little more noticeable power. Price was $312 cdn which included valve adjustment, shims, throttle body sync, coolant flush and taxes (sigh!). They also checked my on board computer codes and cleared them also. From my experience, I would definitely recommend having this done at the appropriate service interval.

Oh, and if you wonder how I know this service was actually done....I watched 'em do it! I thought the service was excellent for the price, and my bike runs noticeably better. FWIW.:thumbup:

I'm at 20,000 miles on my fz... and i know it could probably use a TB sync and idle adjust... i ride my bike pretty hard between the twisties and the track so im thinking of going ahead and checking this at the same time... while it is already apart rather than having to do it again in 6k miles... i haven't priced it out yet but i have a buddy with the tools so might not be bad to do myself even though i have no idea where to start after actually getting to them on the bike....

I'm coming up on 20K and debating this one. After having broken two timing belts in cars and being well aware of the consequences, I don't want to ignore valve related maintenance. That said, I do realize that this is a different situation. You folks think that one would hear, "valve chatter" before something really bad happened?

How does the FZ6 sync the valve train? Is there a belt or chain?

Last edited:
I have a loose exhaust valve and you wouldnt believe the clatter it makes. It was nerve racking at first because it sounds like someone threw ball bearings into your valve train but its better when bike is warmed up and doesnt effect performance. Going to have it rechecked in couple thousand miles since it only cost me $100 cause I want to make sure it didnt get any looser and then decides to drop into chamber and kiss the piston. :eek:

When I bought my Fizzer, used, I rang a few of the bike shops to get a quote on a service.

They ALL asked me if the bike was due for, or whether it's had it 'major service'.

When asked what is a 'major service', they said the valve clearances MUST be checked at 20000kms (12000mi) and didn't like it when I told them the factory workshop manual says 43000kms (26000mi)

So, as my bike has a hair over 25500kms, (<16000mi), I think I'll wait.

The only other consideration I have is that my bike is an '05 model, and the service manual, and owners manual make reference to rekitting the brake master cylinder, replacing the brake hoses etc.

If the bike is in good nick, do these HAVE to be done?

Cheers,
Rick

When I bought my Fizzer, used, I rang a few of the bike shops to get a quote on a service.

They ALL asked me if the bike was due for, or whether it's had it 'major service'.

When asked what is a 'major service', they said the valve clearances MUST be checked at 20000kms (12000mi) and didn't like it when I told them the factory workshop manual says 43000kms (26000mi)

So, as my bike has a hair over 25500kms, (<16000mi), I think I'll wait.

The only other consideration I have is that my bike is an '05 model, and the service manual, and owners manual make reference to rekitting the brake master cylinder, replacing the brake hoses etc.

If the bike is in good nick, do these HAVE to be done?

Cheers,
Rick

IF they are that clueless about this bikes service schedule I wouldn't let them even set eyes on my bike.

I adjust valves on schedule. Still have a bit for this bike till it needs it. I do miss my Old Bandit and BMW R1150R which had screw and locknut valve adjustments. I could do the BMW's valve adjustment in about 15 minutes lol :rockon:

Bandit took a bit longer had to pull the tank and fairing halves but was still a quick quarter day tops job.

Had another bike that was shim over bucket and you could get a tool to compress the valve spring and swap shims without removing the cams.

Ah technology. Why street bikes don't all have hydraulic lifters is beyond me. You'd have to make the head a bit bigger and probably drop the RPM ceiling but you'd never have to jack with shims again.

For the brake hoses and internals to the master cylinder...........it's probably not going to be the end of everthing if they don't get replaced. I think the engineers were concerned about UV and Ozone damage to the exposed rubber hoses over time and 4 years is a good number to avoid possible liability issues. You can always get some braided lines :)

Last edited:
Update! over 74,000 miles and no I have not had my valves checked.

Update! What's your point...? You and I have had this argument earlier in this thread and you wear poor maintenance as a badge of honor.

I'd love to meet you, yank the head off of a solid lifter/tappet engine that never had valve adjustments, and show you what burned valves look like.

Then, we could rebuild the head together so you could gain an appreciation for the amount of work a simple adjustment can save.

By the time the damage is done and the engine is losing power (due to lack of compression), it's often too late...

Update! What's your point...? You and I have had this argument earlier in this thread and you wear poor maintenance as a badge of honor.

I'd love to meet you, yank the head off of a solid lifter/tappet engine that never had valve adjustments, and show you what burned valves look like.

Then, we could rebuild the head together so you could gain an appreciation for the amount of work a simple adjustment can save.

By the time the damage is done and the engine is losing power (due to lack of compression), it's often too late...

You're more than welcome to come over and do it. Maybe when I was in Vegas you could find a reason to come visit but being that I'm in Boise Idaho now I doubt it unless you like to hunt and fish.

The point is, I'm not a mechanic and I just can't justify paying a dealership $400 when my bike is only worth about $1500-$2000.

You're more than welcome to come over and do it. Maybe when I was in Vegas you could find a reason to come visit but being that I'm in Boise Idaho now I doubt it unless you like to hunt and fish.

The point is, I'm not a mechanic and I just can't justify paying a dealership $400 when my bike is only worth about $1500-$2000.

You can't buy a new engine or a new FZ6 for $400....

I'm a professional mechanic by trade, and I hear similar arguments all the time - I can't afford XXX reapir, or the car isn't worth XXX repair. Unfortunately, many of the same people also cannot afford the expense of a new vehicle. So, in this situation, the money for the repair is money well spent.

In any case, here's an idea: find a local message board for sportbike enthusiasts. In many cases, you can find a competent shade-tree bike mechanic that will perform the adjustment for a reasonable parts and labor cost.

Here's another quick story - I rebuilt a 1982 Suzuki GS650G for my buddy that had 26000mi and the valves had never been adjusted. Compression numbers for all 4 cylinders were around 125 to 130psi. When I checked the valves, I had to drop 2 shim sizes on several of the valves to get them in spec. After the adjustment, the engine was producing around 150psi on all 4 cylinders. He got lucky because the valves were not burned and sealed well after the adjustment.

In many cases, as valves go out of adjustment, they produce VERY gradual power decreases that may not be noticeable by the average rider. However, in the end, the power decrease can be very significant, sapping over 10hp from an engine and dreacreasing the bike's top speed by over 15mph!

Please understand that I do not wish to be a d*** to you for grins and giggles - you are an MSF instructor, and your opinion on things relative to bikes necessarily carries more weight than joe average rider. Many new riders come to this board looking for solid advice, and when they hear that you deem it acceptable to neglect valve adjustments, they may assume it's ok to neglect said maintenance on their bikes.

Like it or not, you're a role model....

To prove that I'm not an acerbic horse's a**, if you were ever in my part of town, I'd offer to do the adjustment for you for FREE - all you have to do is buy the necessary shims.

Your post makes a lot of sense. I agree with you fully, and there's a deal you really can't pass up, Kenny. A road trip with a free valve adjustment (plus parts of course). Does it really get any better!!:Sport:

You can't buy a new engine or a new FZ6 for $400....

I'm a professional mechanic by trade, and I hear similar arguments all the time - I can't afford XXX reapir, or the car isn't worth XXX repair. Unfortunately, many of the same people also cannot afford the expense of a new vehicle. So, in this situation, the money for the repair is money well spent.

In any case, here's an idea: find a local message board for sportbike enthusiasts. In many cases, you can find a competent shade-tree bike mechanic that will perform the adjustment for a reasonable parts and labor cost.

Here's another quick story - I rebuilt a 1982 Suzuki GS650G for my buddy that had 26000mi and the valves had never been adjusted. Compression numbers for all 4 cylinders were around 125 to 130psi. When I checked the valves, I had to drop 2 shim sizes on several of the valves to get them in spec. After the adjustment, the engine was producing around 150psi on all 4 cylinders. He got lucky because the valves were not burned and sealed well after the adjustment.

In many cases, as valves go out of adjustment, they produce VERY gradual power decreases that may not be noticeable by the average rider. However, in the end, the power decrease can be very significant, sapping over 10hp from an engine and dreacreasing the bike's top speed by over 15mph!

Please understand that I do not wish to be a d*** to you for grins and giggles - you are an MSF instructor, and your opinion on things relative to bikes necessarily carries more weight than joe average rider. Many new riders come to this board looking for solid advice, and when they hear that you deem it acceptable to neglect valve adjustments, they may assume it's ok to neglect said maintenance on their bikes.

Like it or not, you're a role model....

To prove that I'm not an acerbic horse's a**, if you were ever in my part of town, I'd offer to do the adjustment for you for FREE - all you have to do is buy the necessary shims.

My bike is currently going through a replacement of the Cam Chain, Cam Chain Sprockets, Guides, and a new Sensor and while they have the top off, the dealership is going to check the valves.

So does anyone want to guess what condition my valves will be in at 77k miles?

There has been several members who has offered to check my valves in the past, Cali Rider being one of them. If I was still in Vegas, I would have probably taken up on his offer. Philosopheriam post is correct and I cannot argue with his reasoning. Believe it or not, I have finally found the most convenient time to get this performed.

Last edited:
I wish someone in South Oz would offer to help me check mine!

Or even if they know anybody that can do it cheaper than the shops!

Cheers,
Rick

I live in Iowa, close to Aurora, IL. So I'm hoping I can make it to 77k miles, and then get a free offer for valves as well! :)

I am just over 26k miles and will get the valves checked soon. its a 2004 fz6s that has been well looked after all its life. oil + filter changed regularly etc and kept indoors by previous owner ;)

Should everything be ok? think my mechanic told me that it would be expensive enough, roughly about €100 to have a look and shims are €5euro each if needing to be replaced.

Back