Using the Kill switch.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was told not to use the kill switch to turn the engine off all the time, that I should use the ignition switch. Has anyone heard of that? I use the kill switch all time to kill the engine, then the ignition to shut everything off.

Any opinions

Thanks.

Doc

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch every time I turn the bike off, but I've heard that same advice from time to time.

I think the reason people suggest just turning the key off instead of always using the kill switch is a concern that you can "wear out" the switch, whereas turning the key off isn't going to cause any problems. I can see the logic behind it.

Just my .02

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the kill switch is an emergency shut down safety feature, designed to be
highly visible, quickly and easily operated by a gloved rider or anyone at
an accident scene who needs to shut off the engine after a crash, it is not
necessary to use it during normal riding

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get paid out all the time for using the kill switch, then getting off my bike, and leaving the ignition on, with head lights ablaze....."you will flatten your battery" is the cry....

:eek:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I get paid out all the time for using the kill switch, then getting off my bike, and leaving the ignition on, with head lights ablaze....."you will flatten your battery" is the cry....

:eek:

Yep... Ran mine dead within the first 200 miles of owning it, I try to use the key as much as possible. Now I have gotten in the habit of using the kickstand kill switch as my off so the problem continues.:spank:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaching is to use the kill switch, not the key, to stop the engine. The reason is the same for most things in motorcycling - make your habit the thing that is the right thing to do in an emergency, as you will do what your habit is when the cards are down. In this case, the emergency is needing to shut off the engine quickly for some reason. Faster to do that with the kill switch than the key.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason is the same for most things in motorcycling - make your habit the thing that is the right thing to do in an emergency, as you will do what your habit is when the cards are down. In this case, the emergency is needing to shut off the engine quickly for some reason. Faster to do that with the kill switch than the key.

I always figured this was as good a reason as any to always use the kill switch. I've used it since I first started riding and do it every time.

It's kinda of an irrational concern, but I also feel slightly less in control if I reach down to the key while the bike is on. I like being able to hold the front brake and shut the bike off, then make sure I've parked in a good place where the bike won't roll. It's just part of my parking procedure.

I have yet to leave the key in and run the battery down with the lights but it may happen eventually. Using the kill switch gives me a chance to cut all of the noise and get the bike settled. That gives me a chance to remember the key and the side stand and so on. I haven't had a problem with either yet, knock on wood.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Kill switch first, then ignition off. Keeping hands on the contols until the thing is dead is a good idea.

Been doing it that way for >20 years. And I have worn out a kill switch doing it. Pretty cheap to fix.

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaching is to use the kill switch, not the key, to stop the engine. The reason is the same for most things in motorcycling - make your habit the thing that is the right thing to do in an emergency, as you will do what your habit is when the cards are down. In this case, the emergency is needing to shut off the engine quickly for some reason. Faster to do that with the kill switch than the key.

MSF told me the same. However another reason was the kill switch is more durable for opening the circuit over many many uses. The key switch would wear out eventually. OK, that was 15 years ago and I still use the kill switch and then the key switch. Luckily I haven't forgotten to turn the key to off and drained the battery yet.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I specifically asked that question when I picked up my new FZ6 today and was told the only problem was that everything electrical(except the ignition) stays on, so its OK to use the kill switch just don't forget to turn off the key to completely shut down the system;)

Jerry

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I've used the kill switch, ummm, let's see, errrr, never??? 25 years of riding never touched it. I guess I don't understand what "emergency" requires the use of a kill switch.

On my race bike I have a simple Radio Shack toggle switch were the ignition was. Just flip the bike on and off. I see the key as the same thing. On, off. On, off. :confused:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to the bar kiil switch, I also have a "remote" kill switch (anti-hijack) It's on my Scorpio keypod. Might come in handy some day?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I was told the same thing at the dealer but because apparently alot of 'people' - I use this term lightly since they obviously aren't the smart kind - ring up when they buy a bike apparently because the bike is broken and won't start, and its because they have used the kill switch to turn it off and haven't figured out it needs to be turned back on (yes I have made this mistake, but only for about 5-10s when I first started riding and I figured out what was wrong fast, to get to the point of calling the dealer about the bike being broken shows something is wrong with the users mind process or lack thereof)

Also the kill switch is the quickest and easiest way of stopping the bikes running, and doesn't require you remove your hand from the handlebars. Its certainly not a -worse- choice than turning it off at the key (which you do anyway), but there are lots of situations where it is argueably a better first action.

That and we are trained to do it at the learner course here, for various safety reasons.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I just throw my bike on the side and let the tip-switch kill it. ;)

Nah I always use the kill switch too. I've replaced mine due to damage from a crash, and if it wears out I"d be very surprised. I've never had to replace a lightswitch due to being worn out and it's basically the same damn thing. Chances are you'll replace the bike long before the switch.

Do what you're comfortable with. I leave mine in gear when I park it to help somewhat with theft issues. The more people have to fiddle with it to steal it the better. Therefore I use the killswitch b/c taking you hands off the bars at a standstill with it in gear is asking for trouble.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Are we really having a thread about this?

You guys must be bored.

Well we just wanted to make sure no one thought the kill switch was for using when you find some annoying cager on the road and really want to get rid of them, could end very badly.:thumbup:

Missile launchers james bond style anyone :p

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I too use the killswitch every time. Because it is habit to use the kill switch, it is now muscle memory to use it as well. In an emergency - I would much rather use the killswitch and keep both hands on the grips to keep control rather than take my right hand off the throttle.

My family likes to hang out in the driveway at night with neighbors and sometimes at I like to hit the kill switch and turn the key off and coast into my driveway in the pitch black and complete silence to creep up and scare them. Probably not the best idea, but it has been known to happen every now and then:)

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to use the kill switch a few times when cagers acted stupid but I think my missle launcher is stuck.

I always use the key, not really sure why I just always do.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kickstand to kill the motor, since I have to lower it anyway it's one less motion. Furthermore, I wait until I'm off the bike before taking the key out as it's easier to put into my pocket when I'm standing up.
An engineer's 2-scent's worth... :rolleyes: