Unexpected.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Most, If not all of Us, like to think we live in a modern society fueled by modern beliefs and dominated by modern individuals. The truth is we are not as Human as we may like to think we are. Let me start with the situation:

April 8th, 2011. Madison, WI. USA. I am meeting someone interested in buying my 2001 FZ1. Chuck!...... lets say Chuck pulls up in front of my "place of work" with his one armed Uncle in his early 90's Chevy pickup. They get out.

I see Chuck. Short sleeve shirt dirty hands and a hat. I see Chuck's Uncle. one arm missing. long beard and bandana.
ME THINKING: chuck....red neck. chuck's uncle: disgruntled U.S army Vietnam Vet.... now turned: same as above. Me and Madison: pretty sophisticated and intelligent. should be interesting. lets see what happens.

Chuck takes bike for a test ride and I with for him with his Uncle. We talk. work, bikes, lack of money to modify/fix bikes and s**t. Chuck returns.

Chuck says 1500. My ad advertises 2500. custom dictates we meet somewhere in the middle... right?

ME THINKING: yes. wait..... no. no I can't sell this bike for 1500. last November, before paying 250 for storage I was offered 1500. And I was offered 1700 a few days ago. yes. yes, but why? what's going on? I dunno. (at this particular moment). I say yes. Bike is sold.

why? why? why?

ME THINKING (later on) 2 reasons. 1). sometimes we meet people that have an effect on us that just..... does things. 2). we are quick to judge people. sometimes we get smacked so hard with our own stupidity, It bounces off our head, into space, on the orbital plane and actually gives us a moment of clarity.

SO. why?

what the he** am I getting at?

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
The truth is we are not as Human as we may like to think we are.

what the he** am I getting at?

Chin up Tiger! (I always wanted to say that!)
Within 2-3 sec of meeting someone, the unconscious part of the brain has already made up it 'mind'. And thats based on preconceptions, history, dress, speech, etc - hundreds of small things.
Think of people in their undies - its a big leveller.
And 'getting smacked by our own stupidity' - Daily! :D But you got some cash, he got a nice bike (But not too nice... it was a fz1...). All good.

Also, did Chuck's uncle take the bike for a spin? (Couldn't work out that sentence) Because that would be pretty cool to see...

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say it was a Freudian slip. You wanted to help him out but didn't realize it.

Pat yourself on the back for paying it forward.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Chin up Tiger! (I always wanted to say that!)
Within 2-3 sec of meeting someone, the unconscious part of the brain has already made up it 'mind'. And thats based on preconceptions, history, dress, speech, etc - hundreds of small things.
Think of people in their undies - its a big leveller.
And 'getting smacked by our own stupidity' - Daily! :D But you got some cash, he got a nice bike (But not too nice... it was a fz1...). All good.

Also, did Chuck's uncle take the bike for a spin? (Couldn't work out that sentence) Because that would be pretty cool to see...

Chuck did, not his Uncle. Although when he took it for a test ride, I did get a chance to talk to his Uncle. The guy has a 350 powered trike!!! hope I see him riding it around sometime.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I work in a busy emergency deparment. If there's one thing I know, it's don't let someone's first impression on looks fool you. I've met some people that look like morons, and most often are, but once in a while some people are just brilliant. I don't treat them how they look, and I then also get better treatment. Buttt...

But are you talking about your meeting Chuck, or your selling the bike for 1500? I've sold a few cars like that because you just want them gone. If someone is riding the fence, this helps get their ass in gear to actually buy what you're selling when you make them feel like they have got a good deal. In some cases you do get a good deal, but it's also GONE. Then there's nothing you can do but take the money and run. RUN!:thumbup: