Uneven Idle

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
For a while now i've had a uneven idle (sounds a v-twin at tickover) and it isn't smooth and constant.

It's regularly serviced, not long had new spark plugs (correctly gapped), TB sync'd and runs fine when riding. I'm running a LV exhaust with baffles removed and a de-cat.

If i turn the idle speed up, it smooths out.

Any idea's what it could be ?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
How high do you have to raise the idle to smooth it out? If it's within reason, just leave the idle a little high.

The way current is generated in an electric motor (generators and motors are really the same thing), is by forcing a coil of wire through a magnetic field it wouldn't typically rotate in. This process requires a force to cause this rotation. If your idle is low enough that the stator is having to oscillate between generating current and not, then the stator may be putting a load on the motor when it starts creating current.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might look at what the O2 sensor is telling the ECM but off hand its likely running to lean. Screw in the air bleeds on the IACV X4 equally. This changes the AFR at idle and will richen it. Fuel amount is fixed, air however can be adjusted. Move all 4 clockwise a 1/2 turn and see what it does.

If you want to know what ECM is seeing:
Follow the O2 sensor leads to under the tank. Back probe the Black/blue trace and Grey/green trace with a meter set to DC volts. If the meter has an average function, enable it.

Expect about 0.48Vdc ~ 0.52Vdc. If outside of this range, make adjustments to the IACV sync screws moving all 4.
Hint:
>0.5 Rich
<0.5 Lean​
Also, you could just RESET the ECM OR unplug the sensor. Both will default to running richer. If this solves it, its too lean and wants more fuel (Assuming there are ZERO vacuum leaks....). Obviously the Reset is just temporary to gather info as is the O2 sensor unlug.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I lowered the idle today out of interest and that's smoothed it out too :confused:

I've got a vid of how it idle's usually... just need to upload it.