Track Day this Sunday...who's coming?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant really comment cos ive never used em but you said it let go real quick? No warning? Its a complicated mix. Cold track surface, cold street tyres & tyre pressures?

Might have to look at some slicks mate. I can put you in touch with Craig White if you like. He can ship some Bridgestone slicks to your door. With a more structured carcass you can drop you tyre pressures pretty low in cooler conditions. Heats the tyre up quicker & offers a larger contact patch.

Slicks & tyre warmers & it will feel like a different bike. Probably drop 3 to 5 seconds a lap straight up.

Plenty of time for that later I suppose. Heal up & get well 1st :thumbup:

The qualifier RR is almost identical to the fz6 cup control tyre. Hence why I was using it...sovto use slicks makes no sense in that respect. They normally heat up within a lap. But in this case I did not get that far!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeez Wolfy you didnt mess around with that helmet did you :eek: That is the evidence right there kids. Stay in school, dont do drugs & be sure to wear a quality lid :thumbup:

came down from a great height straight on top of my head as you can see.... Did not feel a thing thanks to the wonders if modern helmet technology.... Never have scrimpt on gear.... Once again this accident proved why!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Geeze,thats not too bad ,considering !

I have that same camera mount,nice to know it holds up well,lol

in reality it's going to cost me about $1500 to fix....helmet, engine cover, replacement race glass & screen, repair torn leathers...and trhat aint counting my medical bills...just about to run off to the hospital to get this hand looked at.....ankle is a lot better now, but hand is mashed!

:eek:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch !

don't look that bad from the pics and I didn't even think of your leathers ,but it does come with the territory I guess.

Good luck mate.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch !

don't look that bad from the pics and I didn't even think of your leathers ,but it does come with the territory I guess.

Good luck mate.

could of been a lot more....but Gazza the straightening guru, fixed the rearsets, clip-ons, headstock, sub frame, fairing mount bracket, etc....which were all bent, or twisted in some way, shape or form..

oh and i forgot to mention paint....race glass comes unpainted....have not even thought about how much that's gonna cost!

oh well....we will play hard!

:thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK Wolf, this is exactly why I am leaving the track days now until I have the bike paid off completely. Imagine doing that to something you still owed money on and insurance won't pay out. Motor racing is an expensive hobby but it's worth the pain in the pocket and sometimes the physical pain too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK Wolf, this is exactly why I am leaving the track days now until I have the bike paid off completely. Imagine doing that to something you still owed money on and insurance won't pay out. Motor racing is an expensive hobby but it's worth the pain in the pocket and sometimes the physical pain too.

even though i dont owe a penny on my black FZ6...i would never take it to the track....pinky, being a race bike, it doesnt matter if she is a little rough round the edges....but my road bike...yikes...i was devasted last time that got smashed....would kick myself if i did it at the track...

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
..pinky, being a race bike, it doesnt matter if she is a little rough round the edges....but my road bike...yikes...i was devasted last time that got smashed....would kick myself if i did it at the track...

That's what I'm thinking. I need my bike, would love to get onto the track, So... I'm looking for a cheap bike to have some fun on.

Was talking with JayJay today, I reckon a GPX 250 will do... And I should be able to keep my life if anything goes wrong. Looking for a couple of wrecked bikes, one to fix, one for spares.

:)

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am thinking the same thing, once I get this one paid off I wouldn't mind getting a supersports 600 from auction. My mate just got an 05 r6 for $3500 and he anticipates spending another $1500 to $3000 to get it on the racetrack depending on how far he wants to go with it.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On Days at the moment so I haven't been in front of my compooter 'til now.

Just stopped in at Jamie's on the way home and he said he was going to go to Hospital and get checked out:cheer:.

He's pretty mobile but sore and yup...his hand looks a bit rough.

Pinky was looking pretty good though (nice work Gary) and I'm sure He'll have 'er up and running in no time:rockon:.

I was next in line when he came off and I've gotta say, "WTF:confused:?"

Straight line, going easy.....woomph:eek:....kicked sideways, gripped and well....we all know the rest.

I had a slow motion slide on cold damp roads and cold tires about 40m from my house on the way to his place on Saturday night, so I know how fast it happens:eek:.

Was pretty worried until i saw him jump up off the ground....phew....Good quality helmet mate:thumbup:.....petty about the noggin in it:Flip:...lol.

Glad you came out OK-ish. Glad Pinky wasn't too mashed also. I know how keen you are to get to Eastern Creek.

Felt a little weird staying on for the rest of the day but managed to have a ball..lol.

Last session was awesome fun...only 7 bikes on the track....got out in front of the rest and stayed there with open track...lol...WOOT!:rockon:

I'm pretty sure I can safely knock another second off by riding right and getting gloves looser on the wrist....after a lap and a half I had bad wrist pump....not my normal outfit.(Thanks Jamie for the use of your leathers. You rock)

I could knock another second off by going really, really hard, but I won't be doing that...lol....not on my beautiful blue beast. So in reality I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities of the stock FZ6 and need suspender and brake work to improve ( can then up the power also I guess...lol)

The Battleaxe BT003 front and the BT002 rear were a perfect match and after warming up gave me perfect feedback and control through every corner. I could even gas it sideways a little out of turns and just stay on it...lol.:rockon:

Had to lift my feet off the pegs through corners though as the stock pegs are too low. Need rearsets eventually...lol. ( Apparently they were sparking like crazy...lol):D

What a rush! I'll be doing that again for sure.

Peg feelers gone...lol.

View attachment 17379

After riding home from Wolfman's last night, commuting today and a quick blat up the Eagle tonight this is how my tires still look...lol.

View attachment 17380

Most of the excess rubber is gone now but they were looking good on Sunday...LMAO

View attachment 17381

Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gawd Mikey, the "ball" on the peg feelers was twice as big when I left yesterday... You did have some fun on that last session.. didn't ya.

Well done mate.

Been advised to use a small socket head bolt instead so I don't grind the pegs away which is fine, but I have to lift my feet off the pegs or my boots won't last a session....the pegs are way too low.

Had 'em scraping through the kink at 188km/h hanging off as far as I could...LMAO...love the kink man....it's freaking awesome:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get some Valermoto's mate, those things look the goods, and sit so much higher and further back.

Great to see you had a ball. Now, to get myself a bike to use just for the track.

Binned R6...lol:rockon::rockon::rockon::D

I've got a bit of a problem....would like a track bike but i want an FZ6 track bike...lol....Ah well...I never aimed to be a rich man...lol.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the bike fared pretty well. Honestly I wouldn't bother to buy a new fairing you can very easily repair it using a a fiberglass repair kit > Walmart for $14.95 or so.

The leathers held up very well too.

Too bad about the camera mount, was there a camera on it at the time?