To buy or not....

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
With the extortionate insurance premiums I was thinking of going with 3rd party fire and theft insurance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
With the extortionate insurance premiums I was thinking of going with 3rd party fire and theft insurance

I really wouldn't do this, not unless the bike costs less than a a grand, or you can afford to replace it should you write it off

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm-good point as I only thought about dropping it and the associated coat with replacing a fairing!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm-good point as I only thought about dropping it and the associated coat with replacing a fairing!

I remember years ago now a good mate of mine had his brand new GSXR 750 blown over, it cost an arm and a leg to replace the side fairing :eek: luckily he was fully comp. It will cost as much to replace the fairing on an old bike unless you can find a suitable 2nd hand replacement in the right colour.

i don't mean to scaremonger, good luck on the new bike, looking forward to the pics :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard new bikes tend to not be as strong, they have some sideways flex, but the frame/headstock is easily bent out of line. Also if you have a crash and are found to be 50% at fault, then you would only get 50% of the money for the damage (and your insurance would pay their 50%)

I'd say crash bungs are fairly essential too. ABS might be worth considering too, being able to stop is more important than being able to go quickly.

I'd also say I wouldn't buy a shiny new road bike if it's destined for the track.

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just spoken to the Insurance company who advise they don't cover cost of repairs even if the 3rd party was at fault! If that's the case it's going to have to be fully comprehensive

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Are there any decent security products similar to datatag that help reduce the premium?

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard new bikes tend to not be as strong, they have some sideways flex, but the frame/headstock is easily bent out of line. Also if you have a crash and are found to be 50% at fault, then you would only get 50% of the money for the damage (and your insurance would pay their 50%)

I'd say crash bungs are fairly essential too. ABS might be worth considering too, being able to stop is more important than being able to go quickly.

I'd also say I wouldn't buy a shiny new road bike if it's destined for the track.

Crash bungs would be fitted and it has ABS as standard

Definitely won't be for the track!

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
If your splashing out, you do want fully comp. I've always seen 3rd party as just theft cover - legal cover is for it you want a chance to persue damages.
Even fully comp tho, i'd expect about £1k to pay for an £8k claim.

Had a bike stolen over a year ago, so I've just gone to 1 year NCD - that was the main reason I bought the FZ6 because I was priced out by the insurance on a litre bike.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Are there any decent security products similar to datatag that help reduce the premium?

Ask if locking it with a Almax series III or IV chain brings the cost down. Also does upping your excess help in getting the premiums lower?
Otherwise fitting a Tracker might bring the cost down, though it's a trade off on what they cost to fit and the subscription.

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Upping excess helps a little but not by much. Cheapest quote so far is with ebike at £1536 fully comprehensive with an excess of £250

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go for it unless I stick with the fz6 for another 8 months until I build 2 years NCD

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're set on it then you can probably get your current policy switched over, the price will probably go up, but only for the remaining period, and come renewal time you will hopefully have another year of NCB to use.

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're set on it then you can probably get your current policy switched over, the price will probably go up, but only for the remaining period, and come renewal time you will hopefully have another year of NCB to use.

I spoke to my current insurer and they are unable switch the policy over due to it being a super sport which their underwriters won't cover. However, they will offer me a refund of 60% of the premium

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Two quotes as follows:

(1) £1235 with mce which has excess protect of £1575 meaning if the claim was above this amount then I wouldnt need to pay any excess
The above includes legal protection, breakdown cover, helmet and leather cover as well as riding other bikes and riding abroad

(2 ) £1536 with an excess of £250 with ebike. Legal expenses, breakdown cover and overseas riding covered.

Difference of £300 between the two policies but a little extra cover with MCE albeit excess difference which comes into play if I claimed for less than £1575 in which case I would have to pay the full excess amount. However, it wouldn't make sense paying an excess amount higher than cost of repairs, I.e. bike dropped and repair cost came to £1500.

Any views/suggestions welcome :)

Thanks in advance

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
I could but not sure whether I'd be able to get the same deal and the offer for my fz6 in part exchange like I am now