Tire question

ansaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, silly question that's probably been answered. I noticed a little wobble at low speed today. Very very subtle but a little different. I checked my tires and noticed squarish raised bumps on both sides of the front tire all the way around I took this to mean it's time for new ones so I set up an appt at a local place for some pirelli angel sts. Based on the pilot road 3 thread and some good reviews especially from the shop I figured these would be good replacements. My question is, do the little knobs mean I shouldn't ride till the new tires are on? I haven't noticed any handling issues at speed or anything.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
You're describing scalloping. You should be fine to ride to the dealer. The stock front BT-020 that I had scalloped quite a bit. I haven't noticed my PR2s deteriorating nearly as bad. I think the tread design can exacerbate the problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're describing scalloping. You should be fine to ride to the dealer. The stock front BT-020 that I had scalloped quite a bit. I haven't noticed my PR2s deteriorating nearly as bad. I think the tread design can exacerbate the problem.

Its funny you say that. The original front tire on my FJR was a BT-020 and also scalloped badly. It got real bad on the way back from a 200 mile trip, de-cel head shake too. It felt like I had knobbies on the bike when I rolled it backwards in the driveway leaning it over some...

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site

My bt 020's have done that too, it's my own fault though for not keeping a close enough eye on tyre pressures. Scalloping is generally caused by low tyre pressures.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
MY BT-020's did the same thing. I really noticed it when I took my hands off the bars at low speed. I took my hands off to stretch and saw what a tank slapper looks like, but was at a slow speed so I could recover. They were cupped/scalloped badly from early on, but had 11,000 miles before they became a handling problem. New PR2's feel great!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MY BT-020's did the same thing. I really noticed it when I took my hands off the bars at low speed. I took my hands off to stretch and saw what a tank slapper looks like, but was at a slow speed so I could recover. They were cupped/scalloped badly from early on, but had 11,000 miles before they became a handling problem. New PR2's feel great!

+1

My experience as well.