Tire question

ansaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, silly question that's probably been answered. I noticed a little wobble at low speed today. Very very subtle but a little different. I checked my tires and noticed squarish raised bumps on both sides of the front tire all the way around I took this to mean it's time for new ones so I set up an appt at a local place for some pirelli angel sts. Based on the pilot road 3 thread and some good reviews especially from the shop I figured these would be good replacements. My question is, do the little knobs mean I shouldn't ride till the new tires are on? I haven't noticed any handling issues at speed or anything.

You're describing scalloping. You should be fine to ride to the dealer. The stock front BT-020 that I had scalloped quite a bit. I haven't noticed my PR2s deteriorating nearly as bad. I think the tread design can exacerbate the problem.

You're describing scalloping. You should be fine to ride to the dealer. The stock front BT-020 that I had scalloped quite a bit. I haven't noticed my PR2s deteriorating nearly as bad. I think the tread design can exacerbate the problem.

Its funny you say that. The original front tire on my FJR was a BT-020 and also scalloped badly. It got real bad on the way back from a 200 mile trip, de-cel head shake too. It felt like I had knobbies on the bike when I rolled it backwards in the driveway leaning it over some...

My bt 020's have done that too, it's my own fault though for not keeping a close enough eye on tyre pressures. Scalloping is generally caused by low tyre pressures.

MY BT-020's did the same thing. I really noticed it when I took my hands off the bars at low speed. I took my hands off to stretch and saw what a tank slapper looks like, but was at a slow speed so I could recover. They were cupped/scalloped badly from early on, but had 11,000 miles before they became a handling problem. New PR2's feel great!

MY BT-020's did the same thing. I really noticed it when I took my hands off the bars at low speed. I took my hands off to stretch and saw what a tank slapper looks like, but was at a slow speed so I could recover. They were cupped/scalloped badly from early on, but had 11,000 miles before they became a handling problem. New PR2's feel great!

+1

My experience as well.

Back