Tire - not many miles but too old?

C

CoolATIGuy

I just bought a used 2005 FZ6, with right at 3k miles on the clock. Owned a bike before, but it's been awhile, and def not a pro yet. While the mileage isn't real high from what I've read people get from the stock Dunlop Sportmax D252, if they are in fact the original tires, that means they are ~6 years old - is that old time-wise for a tire that isn't out of it's mileage limit yet?

I'm not sure if it's dry rot or not, or if it's a problem; can someone give me an idea from a look at the pics below?

I hate to buy tires if mine are totally fine and have plenty of tread life, at the same time I def don't want a safety hazard on my hands.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are absolutely too old. See those little cracks in the grooves? That's dry-rot. Even if it wasn't visible 6 years is too much for moto tires.. it's been debated here before and we agreed that 3-4 years is max, if you want to play it safe. In this case though, it's pretty clear that they need to go.
Don't try to "save" money on tires. Better tires = better grip = more fun + much safer. If I was in your shoes, I'd swap them out asap.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:CoolATIGuy to the best forum!

I'm sorry to say this Cuz I don't like to spend money either. Those are toast! :eek:

I bought an 07 left over Sv1000s last year right off the showroom floor and the tires had to be changed. I know it's not what you'd like to hear but those are not safe. The compounds that make up the tires age change over time regardless of use. The tire is also icy on it's edges. Hard no stick dried out rubber.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those tyres are NOT in good condition.

Time for new ones :)

Use the search forum as we have A LOT of threads on tyres :thumbup:

Oh, BTW, :welcome: to the best forum in the world withe the BEST people :steve:

C

CoolATIGuy

Wow, quite the consensus. I'm just happy to get a unanimous and hearty recommendation, rather than wondering if I should have tried to get some more life out of them or worse, not replaced at all.

I've searched a bit on the tire threads, seems like lots of diff makes and models - so, what would a fairly novice rider look for when picking a tire? I try to avoid rain, don't push it too hard, want something safe but nothing too expensive ($300-$350 total on tires is prob my max limit if that).

And thanks for the welcome! I had a ninja 250 and a saturn sl2 - both had great forum communities. The web has done awesome things for vehicle owners!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna get a lot of recommendations on tires. :rockon:

I'll start per your description of need and throw in the Bridgestone BT-023 :BLAA:

C

CoolATIGuy

So I'm prob looking at $250 for a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring Tires...would you still recommend those since a couple hours at a time is prob my max on the bike, most of the riding is commuting or local for fun?

On a sidenote, I hadn't ridden in awhile so I went to a lot to practice my tight uturns - I was having quite the ordeal, and other times while riding it felt like I was manhandling the bike with sheer force to do what I wanted. I checked my tire pressure this morning - 13 and 16 psi! Def handles better with some air inside. ;)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
unless you plan on carving it up on every ride, then i'd probably recommend a dual compound sports tourer, (like the bt-023 above)

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
But obviously, you should do a massive burnout on those tyres before you swap them over.

Hey, someone's gotta fill TC's shoes :)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah those are toast. Definitely replace them asap. I just got Michelin PR2's through motorcycle superstore for $299 delivered. The install is going to bite, but if you know a mechanic you may be able to get a break.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum mate , you have been told what to do with them so i'll just throw another vote the way of Metzeler Z8 Interacts :thumbup: Brilliant for commuting with weekend play time ;)

C

CoolATIGuy

Local shop wanted $436 (+ tax prob) for a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT023 - jakewilson.com has been mentioned before, can get a set for $243 total for both, with free shipping, no tax - seems like quite a deal.

C

CoolATIGuy

long shot...anyone have any jakewilson.com coupon codes that work for tires and aren't expired? I couldn't google any...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Local shop wanted $436 (+ tax prob) for a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT023 - jakewilson.com has been mentioned before, can get a set for $243 total for both, with free shipping, no tax - seems like quite a deal.

Yup.. just keep in mind that most shop will charge 50 per wheel to swap tires.

C

CoolATIGuy

Just bought them - $135.99 Rear + $106.99 Front = $242.98 free ship no tax

Local shop said $40/tire on the bike, $25/tire if I bring them the wheels...not too bad.

Thanks everyone!!! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought them - $135.99 Rear + $106.99 Front = $242.98 free ship no tax

Local shop said $40/tire on the bike, $25/tire if I bring them the wheels...not too bad.

Thanks everyone!!! :thumbup:

That is an awesome price ($25 per wheel).. $50 here per wheel if I bring them in.. more if I roll the bike in.

C

CoolATIGuy

Found another local bike mechanic, I think been in biz 7 years, sounded like a great guy and willing to take time and explain everything thoroughly over the phone - $65 + tax total out the door to roll the bike in and have both tires put on. score

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Found another local bike mechanic, I think been in biz 7 years, sounded like a great guy and willing to take time and explain everything thoroughly over the phone - $65 + tax total out the door to roll the bike in and have both tires put on. score

Damn.. very nice price. Consider balance options. He can go with stick-on weights (come in silver and black.. ask what he has) or the clamp-on type that goes in the center of the rim. Might also want to ask if he will use rim protectors to prevent scratching.