Tire - not many miles but too old?

Got the bike back today, and man what a difference! These tires actually roll side to side - very different riding experience on anything but straight! More tread, soft rubber, more curve...wow

One question though - when I first got the bike, the tires were at 16psi rear/13 psi front (which is why I couldn't get it to turn :p). I read in the manual 36psi rear/33 psi front, so I filled it up to about that. However, the mechanic that put the new tires on showed me the sticker on top of the engine (on the right side) that lists 42 psi rear/36 psi front, and said that's what they should be at. However, the tires themselves seem to list 42/36 for max load, and the manual (if I'm reading it correctly) says up to 198lbs to inflate to 36/33, and for 200lbs-400lbs of load (passengers + cargo) then 42/36.

I'm a fairly small guy, haven't carried passengers or much cargo - what should I be running at? Not opinion, but what it is actually recommended to be run at. Am I reading right that 36/33 AND 42/36 are both valid settings but the higher is the max and not applicable to my setup?

btw, the old tires were original - apparently they had an '04 date on them - 7 years/3000 miles!

I usually just bring the bike in with the new tires and I think they charge me like $100.. But they also personally go over all the important parts such as chain, brakes, little electrical, and check all the levels with me present.. I don't mind if I pay a little extra, as long as I get good service..

I run 34 front, and 35 rear. I would go with the recommended 36/33, not the higher amounts. Those are for 2 up riding, or being a pack mule, and are the max pressure the tires can safely handle.

Thought I'd post a few pics of my new and improved rubber sneakers... :)

Congratulations! :rockon: Looks like you got the Bridgestone BT-023's. Great tire! I just did the same thing only BT-016 Pro's.

Yep - good call. $242.98 no shipping/no tax and $65 + tax to mount ($37.50 Rear Mount/$27.50 Front Mount) = $310/$315 out of pocket.

Going from 16/13 psi, 7 year old/3000 mile stock tires to max inflated, 0 mile BT-023s...is this the same bike? ;)

Just got caught in the rain today - two thumbs up for the BT-023s! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I wasn't canyon carving or braking heavily, but at full speed on the interstate in heavy rain they gripped the road and made me feel much more confident. It helped overcome some of my trepidation of rain riding. Was actually fun, after the first couple min you realize you're already soaked so whatev. And if you keep riding after the rains stops, you start to feel like you're in a carwash with a blow dry feature. :D

Now to find some padded/protective rain pants...

Yay Battlax!

Back