Tire change question

rrgcsfb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

My new tires have arrived, and taking the rims off this weekend to change the rubber.

Does anybody know if I have to take the rims to a "motorcycle shop" to have the rubber removed/installed, or can I go to any car garage that changes tires? In other words, is special equipment used to change rubber and balance motorcycle tires?

Thanks

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
man just go ****ing top gear styles!!!! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9MOX-l7Gs]YouTube - Top Gear Polar Special Tire Repair[/ame]

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I have heard shops will gladly install new ties on your rim, but in the long run it would have cost you less to get the tires at a bike shop then to buy them separate and have them install the tires for you.

Doc

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And you don't need tire warmers!

Take the tires & rims to a bike shop.....

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I called America's Tire Company - they wouldn't do it. A bike shop did it for $80 bringing in the whole bike, or I think half that if you just bring the rims.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I have heard shops will gladly install new ties on your rim, but in the long run it would have cost you less to get the tires at a bike shop then to buy them separate and have them install the tires for you.

Doc

when i had mine done i got a good deal on tires through my work. when i went to have them put on on shop wouldn't even look at it because i didn't buy my tires from him and the other shop that did it charged out the ass to do it. but with the good deal on rubber it was about the same as buying the tires there. kinda a bunch of bull though. pretty much the got it nailed to get your rubber from them

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I love living in a small town. There are just a couple of motorcycle shops, and all of them do not care where you actually got your tires, they are just happy to get your $40 for them changing over the tires. And some of them will do them for free, just as a good 'ol boys network.

BTW, the local yamaha shop near me, only has 4 wheelers / dirt bikes in their showroom. You have to order the motorcycles, or drive 60 miles to the big city (pop. 350,000) to look at a street bike on the showroom. This may give you an idea what I am talking about.

To the OP, take the rims and tires off the bike and take them to a motorcycle shop. You're better off not going with a dealer, and going with a small moto shop, if possible, because then they won't care, nor give you hell for the tires.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Take either the bike or just the wheels to a shop with experience and equipment to service motorcycle tires - including balancing equiptment. General automotive shops are not always familiar with motorcycle tires and therefore if they attempt to use yours as a learning experience may:
(a) mark up your rims
(b) bend your rotors
(c) charge more to cover time invested for thier lack of equiptment/knowledge
(d) be unable balance so your tires may shake
(e) all of the above - and then some.

If you were totaly stuck somewhere in the boons that would be different but since you are planing I suggest you shop around till you find someone who can fix you up right. My 2c. :thumbup:

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW - disclaimer to the above youtube starting fluid trick - don't try this at home... :innocent: Experienced profesionals depicted on a closed course... :rof:

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer, made some modifications, and bought a Mojolever. I can change my own tires at my convenience and save $$$.

A

Aggietaco

BTW - disclaimer to the above youtube starting fluid trick - don't try this at home... :innocent: Experienced profesionals depicted on a closed course... :rof:

Hell, that's a common method in the off-road world. I've tried it twice, lost some arm hair the first time and just failed the second - but I've seen it done successfully several times.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell, that's a common method in the off-road world. I've tried it twice, lost some arm hair the first time and just failed the second - but I've seen it done successfully several times.

Just watched them do this on time warp last night - at like 500 frames per second no less. That bead is seated now!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend in high school worked at a service station that had a manual tire changer. He would inflate tires with this method all of the time. You hear the pop all over town.