Throttle sticky, then locked up???

michaelh

Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle was a little sticky the other morning but loosened up once warm. Thought I'd check the cable for binding. Well, after sitting for just day, I checked it and the throttle wouldn't budge. Reached under to the linkage and tried to move it, stuck! Popped off the top of the airbox and shot some carb cleaner down the throttle bodies and let it sit for 5. That loosened them, started it up and kept spraying 'til it moved freely.

Any ideas what glued them shut??

'07 that I've owned for 2 years, no other problems. Switched to a K&N filter about a year ago, it looked fine. Take the bike and truck to the same gas station.:confused:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
put the original filter back!!! imagine what whent inside your engine...

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
a friends saturn did this not too long ago. i think its fuel related, as he had a dark, gummed up substance in his throttle body. his car sat for a long time before this happened, so i think the gas went bad. has your bike sat?

i sprayed it with carb cleaner as you did, then had him run a can of seafoam in his gas to finish cleaning the system. i would suggest you add some seafoam to your gas to do the same.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
a friends saturn did this not too long ago. i think its fuel related, as he had a dark, gummed up substance in his throttle body. his car sat for a long time before this happened, so i think the gas went bad. has your bike sat?

i sprayed it with carb cleaner as you did, then had him run a can of seafoam in his gas to finish cleaning the system. i would suggest you add some seafoam to your gas to do the same.

Had the same thing on my 4Runner. Cleaned the throttle body area and components and haven't had a problem since. I pretty much only use Shell Premium. Didn't have the problem with my Jeep and the problem never returned.