Throttle bodies issue

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been diligently with maintenance of my fz6.I would usually do a throttle body sync almost every 10k km as per owner manual. Things starts to go wrong after my bike came back from a valve clearance check. I just can’t to get almost straight line on the carbtune as what I had could do previous. The 4th cylinder can’t rise as high as the rest of the 3 cylinder despite I had fully screw #4. The instruction from the service manual indicated to use cylinder 1 as a master and sync the rest of the 3 cylinder.

The question is,it is safe to adjust #1 to a lower value and sync the rest of the cylinders?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you've been doing a great job and it appears as though you recorded a critical piece of information. So Why ignore it and do something different?

It seems you have doubt so lets follow that line of thinking and see where it goes. Having said that; If I were you I'd do and compression test. If all goes well I'd back that up with and feeler gauge checking the valve adjustment. If the Valves are within spec, proceed to tune it.

Hopefully seeing this from the service manual will be inspirational!

SYNCHRONIZING THE THROTTLE BODIES NOTE:
Prior to synchronizing the throttle bodies, the valve clearance and the engine idling speed should be properly adjusted and the ignition timing should be checked.

My point: don't ignore the warning signs as valve timing and adjustment is critical to the engines health and longevity so I'd find out why one of the vacuum readings jumps all over when you know it didn't used too!

Please post up if you have any questions - more than happy to help you out!

oh - did they charge you for adding/removing/changing shims to adjust the valve lash and how does it run?

Last edited:

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you've been doing a great job and it appears as though you recorded a critical piece of information. So Why ignore it and do something different?

It seems you have doubt so lets follow that line of thinking and see where it goes. Having said that; If I were you I'd do and compression test. If all goes well I'd back that up with and feeler gauge checking the valve adjustment. If the Valves are within spec, proceed to tune it.

Hopefully seeing this from the service manual will be inspirational!

SYNCHRONIZING THE THROTTLE BODIES NOTE:
Prior to synchronizing the throttle bodies, the valve clearance and the engine idling speed should be properly adjusted and the ignition timing should be checked.

My point: don't ignore the warning signs as valve timing and adjustment is critical to the engines health and longevity so I'd find out why one of the vacuum readings jumps all over when you know it didn't used too!

Please post up if you have any questions - more than happy to help you out!

oh - did they charge you for adding/removing/changing shims to adjust the valve lash and how does it run?

I can't say that my local agent is doing a lousy job as the ride remain the same as before it was sent for a valve check.The only difference is that the 4th cylinder is just slighter lower than the rest of the 3 cylinder where i can get a almost straight line on the rest of the 3.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?Can i adjust the throttle body #1 airscrew?Will i be doing any harm to the engine as the service manual stated to use throttle body #1 as the master and the rest of the throttle bodies to follow.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I don't think it matters as I suspect they didn't want people to go Willy Nilly turning screws and get them all so far out of whack that the idle requires MAJOR adjustment via the idles speed screw. Not moving ONE of them kinda gives you a constant fixed point of reference. . .

If I were you I'd very carefully record the number of turns out from seated. Turn CLOCKWISE and carefully and accurately count the number of turns IN until the air bleed screw gently seats. Once recorded, turn it back out to where it was and move on to the next one. The engine should be off for this.

When done, proceed with the process. If somehow it all gets worse - put them back to where they were when you found them! Make sense?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
It's not a problem. This is exactly how it's done, you set the first one and use it as the standard to compare to the others. Many will adjust it first if it is the lowest or highest to try to get it in the middle before doing the others.