Thinking of an FZ6 (or FZ6R)

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
After a long time w/o a motorcycle I bought a 2008 Ninja 250R last Summer. I was not sure I'd find time to ride it but ending up loving nearly every minute. What I don't like is the cramped position. I am 6'1", 160 lbs and, even after adding a Corbin seat, quickly get a sore lower back and butt. Plus, I would like a bit more power, EFI, proper radial tires, etc.

So, I sat on a Kawasaki Versys, Ninja 650R, Suzuki Gladius and the FZ6 and FZ6R. The Yamahas feel best at this point. I also like the build quality of them better. I like nimble over powerful. I love the 250R's flickable feel, precise control and smooth clutch. Getting my bike around some tight turns to park it in a backyard shed requires some gentle throttle/clutch application.

Reviews always seem to mention the FZ6's abrupt EFI. Is this still a concern or have they fixed that? Reviews of the FZ6R all seem to mention how much improved throttle response is on that model. A nearby shop has an '08 FZ1 for $7K but EVERY review says how touchy it's clutch and throttle response are. It would be best to test ride but I can't find anyone around Baltimore, MD who offers that.

Thanks to all who chime in.

Tim

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, still slightly abrupt but you get used to it. It's not too bad unless you're at high revs. I would definitely consider the FZ1 aswell. My advice is test ride as many different bikes as possible and then choose.:) Good luck!

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If you wanted it all....then FZ6 is the way to go. Yeah it might have a slight more throttle response than FZ6R but. As long as you get 2007 or above FZ6 (i think) then you should be fine. I basically thought myself how to ride first time ever on a bike before two weeks of taking the MSF course. So for you since you know how to ride, FZ6 has your name written all over her...:rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From my "beat it to death" research I found that FZ1 throttle response has gotten much better on 07+ models.
FZ6 FI map has also been changed for 07+.
I too come from a Ninja 250, but I have no saddle time on my FZ6 yet to give you a valid comparison. I can just tell you that through my research, 07 (or newer) FZ6 came out ahead of FZ6R, Ninja 250 and Bandit 1250 for someone who's looking for a relatively light bike with good amount of power, good wind protection, very good handling and good 2-up capability for a very reasonable price :)

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not had a motorcycle for about 20 years and had zero trouble getting back into things. Of course the ninjette is pretty forgiving but in over 4k miles on it I have yet to stall the thing.

I actually like the FZ6's half faring. I like having a wind screen for trips on the highway and cool weather rides but don't want the hassle of removing all that plastic for basic maintenance. Not to mention the high cost of a parking lot tip over. It will be a solo only mount and I don't plan really long rides. It will be used for commuting to work sometimes and weekend rides on whatever twisty road I can find. For me it's all about the feel while turning. High speed on straights does little for me and I would not be caught dead on a cruiser.

If dealers would just allow test rides I could make up my mind pretty quickly.

Tim

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
After a long time w/o a motorcycle I bought a 2008 Ninja 250R last Summer. I was not sure I'd find time to ride it but ending up loving nearly every minute. What I don't like is the cramped position. I am 6'1", 160 lbs and, even after adding a Corbin seat, quickly get a sore lower back and butt. Plus, I would like a bit more power, EFI, proper radial tires, etc.

So, I sat on a Kawasaki Versys, Ninja 650R, Suzuki Gladius and the FZ6 and FZ6R. The Yamahas feel best at this point. I also like the build quality of them better. I like nimble over powerful. I love the 250R's flickable feel, precise control and smooth clutch. Getting my bike around some tight turns to park it in a backyard shed requires some gentle throttle/clutch application.

Reviews always seem to mention the FZ6's abrupt EFI. Is this still a concern or have they fixed that? Reviews of the FZ6R all seem to mention how much improved throttle response is on that model. A nearby shop has an '08 FZ1 for $7K but EVERY review says how touchy it's clutch and throttle response are. It would be best to test ride but I can't find anyone around Baltimore, MD who offers that.

Thanks to all who chime in.

Tim

How's the insurance rates up there in your area?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how rates are in MD, but I just paid $282 for the year for mine here in NJ for full coverage with low deductible.
mcteague, I wouldn't worry about throttle response on this bike.. you're not a nOOb.. I don't think you'll have any issues.
It does sound like this bike should work for you if you're after upright position. Otherwise, it sounds like full on sport bike might work just as well if not better.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how rates are in MD, but I just paid $282 for the year for mine here in NJ for full coverage with low deductible.
mcteague, I wouldn't worry about throttle response on this bike.. you're not a nOOb.. I don't think you'll have any issues.
It does sound like this bike should work for you if you're after upright position. Otherwise, it sounds like full on sport bike might work just as well if not better.

WOOOT....$282 for full coverage...WOW. That is cheap man. I pay with progressive $490 for full coverage with 250 comp and 500 collision. Which isurance are you using?

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site

I don't know about a full on sport bike. That stretched out position might help my back at the expense of my neck and wrists. Also, I can't see spending for a bike that can do >150mph if I never intend to ride track. The FZ6R's better mid-range and torque and loss of some top end sounds like a better real world arrangement.

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about a full on sport bike. That stretched out position might help my back at the expense of my neck and wrists. Also, I can't see spending for a bike that can do >150mph if I never intend to ride track. The FZ6R's better mid-range and torque and loss of some top end sounds like a better real world arrangement.

Tim

Can't argue with you on that point. I sat on both and found FZ6 to feel bigger than FZ6R overall.. though I didn't try the raised seating position on FZ6R.
FZ6R is also quite a bit heavier and since it's brand new.. 07 FZ6 in new shape is cheaper.. so the choice for me was easy :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOOOT....$282 for full coverage...WOW. That is cheap man. I pay with progressive $490 for full coverage with 250 comp and 500 collision. Which isurance are you using?

I have Progressive as well. $100 comp and $250 collision.
I bet a bunch of factors affect the rate.
I'm 35, married, own a house and have taken safety course in last 12 months (those are the questions they ask when they come up with rate).

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had to do it over again now, I would seriously consider the FZ6R over the FZ6. The FZ6 is probably a better bike overall - much lighter (don't forget wet weights include centerstand on the FZ6 and a bigger tank), more powerful and a little better quality components. Coming from a Ninja 500 which I used for 99% city commuting, the FZ6R would have been a more gradual transition for my 5'8" stature. It does sound like they improved on some of my complaints of the FZ6 such as low-end torque and slower speed smoothness. Don't get me wrong, the FZ6 is a wonderful allarounder. From what it sounds like you would enjoy the FZ6R more and you could raise the seat height to 32.3" and adjust the handlebar to your liking.
My two cents...

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The adjustable seat and bars of the new FZ6R are a real plus IMO. It makes it that much more likely that you can get a good fit.

I also forgot to ask about vibes. How is the vibration with the latest generation FZ6? Some reports complain about it but I always figured a 4 cylinder would be smoother than a twin.

Tim

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 :thumbup: Next question...

Well, seeing that this is the FZ6 forum I figured most would say that. My gut says FZ6 as well. My only concern is reading the reviews of the FZ6R. Several mention the abrupt throttle and buzzy nature of the FZ6.

The New 2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Motorcyclist Magazine
A larger airbox with a new filter feeds the four Mikuni throttle bodies, providing excellent response-a characteristic the previous FZ6 notoriously lacked.

Compared to the previous model's power delivery, the new engine is considerably more linear and predictable

The engineers also managed to quell the debilitating vibration that cursed the older FZ6, with just enough buzz coming through the bars at 10K to remind you how bad it used to be.

Tim

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well, seeing that this is the FZ6 forum I figured most would say that. My gut says FZ6 as well. My only concern is reading the reviews of the FZ6R. Several mention the abrupt throttle and buzzy nature of the FZ6.

A larger airbox with a new filter feeds the four Mikuni throttle bodies, providing excellent response-a characteristic the previous FZ6 notoriously lacked.

Compared to the previous model's power delivery, the new engine is considerably more linear and predictable

The engineers also managed to quell the debilitating vibration that cursed the older FZ6, with just enough buzz coming through the bars at 10K to remind you how bad it used to be.

Tim

I hope you will get an opportunity to test ride an FZ6, I have an '06 and the throttle response issues are, in my opinion, 'much ado about nothing' even so, the '07+ have specifically addressed this issue with an o2 sensor and new fuel mapping.

You are on the right track by looking into the pros and cons of both, and I am sure that when you do purchase you will be pleased with whichever choice you make.

I still say FZ6 :rockon:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know anything about the R but what I have read, I think it has about 20 horse power less. I have the 06 FZ6 it's a great machine.

Doc

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site

Tim

I have read several of this type of negative press for the FZ6. I know you didn't do the research, but ask yourself, when's the last time they reviewed an FZ6? I have only seen one review posted since the 2004 FZ6. That was the first year for the FZ6 and yes, it was a little raw. Over the years since then, the FZ6 has slowly been massaged to a better bike. And the fueling problems were fixed in 2007.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a standard thing where you guys are? How can they expect to sell bikes without letting you ride them?

I don't know if it's just an insurance thing but I have not found any dealers around me, Maryland, that offer test rides. A shop near Wash DC, that carries Kawasaki, did e-mail me that I could test ride a Versys but they have since put up notice that the are going out of business. I'm sure the two are not related.

I'm pretty much a solo rider so the chances of running into someone offering to ride their bike are pretty slim. I'm sure both are good bikes and my main concern at this point is how my lower back feels. The 250R starts it aching within 20 minutes. The ergos are just too cramped I think with the bars too close causing me to hunch over a bit. If I sit on the back edge of the seat things are better but that can only last so long. At least the FZ6R lets you move seat and bars around a bit. Great feature that.

Tim

Last edited: