The Dragon is slayed! :D (Short Video added)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! That's the first word and all others just keep coming... Awesome! :D Fan-freakin-tastic! Amazing! HOLY SH*T! :eek: OMFG! LEAN, Dammit! LEAN!!!! :rockon:

What a trip! We got to Robbinsville on Monday. Plans changed for the entire week! We called the Two Wheel Inn on Monday on a whim. They said "Sorry. No rooms." So I called another place in Robbinsville and while talking to them, the Two Wheel Inn called me back. They just had someone leave early! So, we booked it. We left Monday and my Friend who we are staying with, Joe, unloaded us at the beginning of the Cherohala. Thus was our first TN cycle experience! We didn't stop for pics... What an amazing road! We came close to the NC border and came up on the first accident. A bike went down hard and broke into pieces after hitting the guard rail. The guy was airlifted out with many broken parts of his own but expected to survive. WHEW!

After getting checked into the Two Wheel Inn, my wife had to do school work so Joe and I went out for a twilight run, my first, on the Dragon. For the very first time, I've come to realize just how un-sportbike the stock FZ6 forks are. I pushed the bike into the corners easy at first and then started pushing it harder. I think I found the limits of the stock forks because I had some pretty hard dive and a couple of near washouts on the front. Thus, I've also determined the stock Dunlops are not great either! But, I was determined. I cranked it though as fast as I could without sailing off into a tree, embankment of ravine. We made it to Beginner's End in no time, stopped to chat for a few minutes as the sun was starting to settle in the mountains and then headed back. This time, I ran it out and hung my arse out to keep the bike as upright as possible. It all worked... Joe, a more technical rider than I along with his tuned and completely non-stock suspension on is SV650 wasn't too far ahead of me but he was far quicker in the shortest of turns where I had to brake hardest to scrub speed.

I had said before that I didn't think I'd find the limits of my FZ6 but I believe I did. I will add "stock" to that though. I know the bike has a lot more potential with better tires and suspension. All those conversions to R6 forks you all have done make total sense now! The problem is, NH doesn't afford me the opportunity that TN has given this week. :thumbup:

I'll add some pics after this and then, I have to share a funny story which also ties into a great testimonial!

*Edit* Added some short video at the end. The DVD Handycam just doesn't cut it with the high rev vibrations and kept shutting down on me. :(

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Re: The Dragon is slayed! :D

Thanks man, Glad you enjoyed it. Its a freaking blast.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Here's a few pics from the Dragon.

The infamous Dragon at the Crossroads of Time, at the Beginner's Beginning.
View attachment 16830

Me st the start of the Dragon. This is Tuesday morning.
View attachment 16831

The Frog had to make the trip with me. He watched my Six and warned me of approaching danger!
View attachment 16832

My wife on the Dragon.
View attachment 16833

My wife and I after her first run at the Beginner's End.
View attachment 16834

My wife coming in after the actual end of the Dragon.
View attachment 16835

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

OMG! The internet is SO SLOW here! I'm still at the Two Wheel Inn. We managed to get three nights here. Great place! They have great rooms and little two-bike garages for each unit. Sweet!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

So, I've covered nearly all the roads I wanted to run on this one week trip. We plan on one more run thru the Dragon and back tomorrow after breakfast then we depart for Cherokee to stay for Thursday night. I've been through the Dragon 3 times and doubled back on one of those trips twice. Killboy likes it when you pass his cameras more than once because he KNOWS you are looking to buy photos. I can't wait to see what they caught for shots of me to I can grab them. :D :thumbup:

Off to the Hall of Shame now. Not a bike down but a shameful story that is a laugh!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

I'll add some pics after this and then, I have to share a funny story which also ties into a great testimonial!

Sounds great!!! That ending is, what they used to call in the old radio and television business, 'a cliff hanger' :eek:

Can't wait to hear the rest :rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What a great trip. I think that will be my big trip for next year. :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks all!

We went out and ran the Dragon through and back again this morning before we left Robbinsville to head to Cherokee (where I am now)

Killboy and ZeeFoto haven't posted the days we rode yet but I expect to see some decent shots of us on the Dragon. I am :drool: while waiting! ZeeFoto wasn't there the first day but was today.

After our trip back through, we stopped at the Crossroads of Time to get some photos of the Tree of Shame. About 10 minutes after we pulled in, a guy came in and reported that someone was down BAD about 5 miles back on the Dragon. Ambulance was needed and likely the person would have to be airlifted. I don't know what happened though and will have to check dealsgap.com, Deal's Gap, North Carolina information guide, The Dragon, US Hwy 129, Great Smoky Mountains and see if Ben posts any info about this accident (none as of this typing).

I will tell all of you coming that the Police presence here has been stepped up. A lot of locals are talking about it so be careful. Remember that when in the actual Park roads, it is a Federal ticket and an appearance in Atlanta, GA if you're tagged. :(

I've only heard on one fatality and it was on Rte 28, not the Dragon, this week. RIP rider!

Saw several wrecks at Wheeler's with some bummed out guys waiting for parts and some of Wheeler's time.

Our time here is about over... far too soon too. What a GREAT experience this has been! If you can find a way to get here, do it! I highly recommend the Two Wheel Inn but call ahead and often as they have limited space and cancellations all the time.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site

Nice pics:thumbup:
Get rid of those stock dunlops, damn I hated those tires, I put Conti RA's on before spring and there's a big difference the bike handles 10x better now.;)

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I've been eyeing the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires. There's a lot of good press and cycle reviews on them and not a lot of bad stuff.

I am beat.... 5.5 times through the Dragon on not-so-great tires and suspension wears an old man out. :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

You're not old! you're wise! :)

You may want to consider the BT016s too... I put them on recently for the first time and for the price, they're awesome tires... they love twisty roads too!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nothing on Killboy but ZeeFoto has me online from Tuesday!

PhotoReflect - Zee Foto is the start and I made three passes starting with this series. :D

16906d1242949030-dragon-slayed-d-dragon1.jpg

View attachment 16906