Teaser: Winter Project ;)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very envious of your skills, patience and vision, that is a very tidy looking bike, I have enjoyed reading all about the transition
I'm sure you are proud of it, i'll have to settle with being jealous
btw: really nice photos, clean and crisp

"Skills" is a very loose term; much like "Gentleman", but I truly appreciate the compliment :)

I am more than happy that I followed all the way through and, so far, I am very impressed with the changes.

And trust me, if I can do this, anyone can!

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
What Renthal bar did you use? I can only seem to find MX bars that don't have a threaded end for bar ends. Nice work BTW. I just picked up a mint 06' R6 USD front end. Complete with controls, wheels, everything. Got all the parts in line minus the handlebar...

Thanks for any help and again nice work!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What Renthal bar did you use? I can only seem to find MX bars that don't have a threaded end for bar ends. Nice work BTW. I just picked up a mint 06' R6 USD front end. Complete with controls, wheels, everything. Got all the parts in line minus the handlebar...

Thanks for any help and again nice work!

The bars are Renthal Streetfighter: Renthal handlebars
*Second from the bottom of the list.

They are not threaded but Renthal does offer their own brand of bar ends.
Hope this helps!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad this was pulled up from the past so i could do a Thanks X100!

Skooter65, Great work and I'm going to steal someone's words;>> OMFG, dude you rock...that is the coolest "mod" i've seen in a ....um... EVER! That is sick!

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't sold the bike yet, can you post some pics of the headlight mounted to the triples? Or however you mounted it? I've got my front end complete minus the mounting of my headlight. I used an 05 ZX6R front end and 07 R1 triples. Mounted up with a simple bearing swap from All Balls Racing. Anyway, some more pics of the headlight mounting would be greatly appreciated.

- Z

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't sold the bike yet, can you post some pics of the headlight mounted to the triples? Or however you mounted it? I've got my front end complete minus the mounting of my headlight. I used an 05 ZX6R front end and 07 R1 triples. Mounted up with a simple bearing swap from All Balls Racing. Anyway, some more pics of the headlight mounting would be greatly appreciated.

- Z

Sorry for the delayed reply; The bike has sold but, I think I have some photos of the mount kicking around on my home computer. I basically modified the FZ1N stock bracket to match the new upper-to-lower triple spacing. The lower position of the mount bolted directly to the lower triple clamp (Utilizing the existing stock threaded hole, must have been to mount the brake line manifold). The upper portion was a little more complicated: I added two small angle brackets to the lower side of the of the upper triple clamp (They were held in place by the bar riser bolt). The angles extended out toward the front of the bike creating a "shelf" which the upper portion of the headlight mount would rest. Two simple socket head cap screws allow fitment/adjustment in an easy to access manner.

I will see what I can find for photos when I get home tonight.

On another note: I am sure I am not the only one that would love to hear more about the simple bearing swap to mount the R1 triples. A Question comes to mind: Does this account for the difference in total length of the steering stem? Like I said, I would love to hear more.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad this was pulled up from the past so i could do a Thanks X100!

Skooter65, Great work and I'm going to steal someone's words;>> OMFG, dude you rock...that is the coolest "mod" i've seen in a ....um... EVER! That is sick!

I am truly thankful for your kind words! I must say, I am Jonesing (That's a word right) to do this again. Have to see what the winter project fairy brings me this year:)

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed reply; The bike has sold but, I think I have some photos of the mount kicking around on my home computer. I basically modified the FZ1N stock bracket to match the new upper-to-lower triple spacing. The lower position of the mount bolted directly to the lower triple clamp (Utilizing the existing stock threaded hole, must have been to mount the brake line manifold). The upper portion was a little more complicated: I added two small angle brackets to the lower side of the of the upper triple clamp (They were held in place by the bar riser bolt). The angles extended out toward the front of the bike creating a "shelf" which the upper portion of the headlight mount would rest. Two simple socket head cap screws allow fitment/adjustment in an easy to access manner.

I will see what I can find for photos when I get home tonight.

On another note: I am sure I am not the only one that would love to hear more about the simple bearing swap to mount the R1 triples. A Question comes to mind: Does this account for the difference in total length of the steering stem? Like I said, I would love to hear more.

The R1 stem is only 1/4" longer than the FZ6 stem. After the bearings are installed and maybe a thin washer, that 1/4" will be perfect. This is pretty much what the end product will be like...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137349943/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

Some more pics of the mock up so far. Excuse the mess. I'm organizing parts and such :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137379990/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137378930/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137348859/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137348103/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61272837@N03/8137347327/http://www.flickr.com/people/61272837@N03/

Hope that helps someone. I'll post some more detailed and clean pics as I progress. I know I haven't taken off the tank sticker. Laziness I guess...

- Z

Last edited:

PDX_Piggy

Reaction score
Visit site
An update for anyone wondering...

The 07' R1 triples with the All Balls roller bearing kit fit absolutely perfect with no machine work. It is "plug and play". The only mods I had to make to the triples were removal of the stops and drill / tapping for new ones. Other than that, the R1 triples would be perfect for a 50mm fork swap.

In essence all you need is the 07' R1 triples, a set of 50mm forks (brand of choice) and wheel/brake setup. Most newer USD forks use the same type of forks. The axles will mount on almost any USD forks, but you will need to have matching axle and wheel from whatever brand you choose.

I used R1 triples, Kawasaki ZX6 forks / wheel / axle / brakes / rotors. I almost bought a full R1 setup, but I got a smoking deal on my forks and such.

Hope this helps someone. I pretty much ran in the dark and worked by trial and error.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Finally have everything completed with respect to the wheels. The ZX6R wheels have been stripped, powder-coated "Sable Black", bearings replaced, Pirelli Angels Installed, and finally sprocket and freshly painted rotors installed.

Puuurrrdddy!!!

Front Wheel with Flat Black Rotors:

Rear Wheel with Vortex Sprocket Installed:

Overall #1:

Overall #2:

Almost There ;)

[MENTION=3172]skooter65[/MENTION]
Do you still happen to have install pictures of your conversion?

Parts are getting affordable these days and I'm kicking around some ideas. PS - found an early header here local for $25 so its in the mail... Thanks for the offer tho!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=3172]skooter65[/MENTION]
Do you still happen to have install pictures of your conversion?

Parts are getting affordable these days and I'm kicking around some ideas. PS - found an early header here local for $25 so its in the mail... Thanks for the offer tho!

Sure do; anything in particular that you are looking to see?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure do; anything in particular that you are looking to see?

Just looking for combinations that work well. Personally I'd like to keep as many OEM parts as possible (Wheels, ignition lock), but there must be some trade offs. Getting more brake rotor would be a trade off for having different front wheel.
That said, I'd like to retain:
- locking steering
- obtain, high speed adjustment (for those rough roads)
- yamaha wheel and rotors but depends what I find out there

Also, IIRC you saw the differences in rake/caster induced by using different triples. How did your combination steer / feel compared to stock? Mine has R6 forks and stock triple.

Tks and no hurry.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking for combinations that work well. Personally I'd like to keep as many OEM parts as possible (Wheels, ignition lock), but there must be some trade offs. Getting more brake rotor would be a trade off for having different front wheel.
That said, I'd like to retain:
- locking steering
- obtain, high speed adjustment (for those rough roads)
- yamaha wheel and rotors but depends what I find out there

Also, IIRC you saw the differences in rake/caster induced by using different triples. How did your combination steer / feel compared to stock? Mine has R6 forks and stock triple.

Tks and no hurry.

Hey [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]: Better late than never! I have attached some of the finished bike photos below. As for your three questions:

1: I eliminated the ignition all together with the conversion (Opted for an RFID system). That said, It is/would have been possible to retain the stock ignition location; it would have required another bracket to be manufactured though.
2: Done and Done with this conversion.
3: No Bueno! I was going to keep the stock front and rear wheel but the amount of parts required to adapt the ZX6 fork with the front wheel turned me off. Forget the cost associated with something seemingly as simple as rotor spacers.

Steering and turn in were much faster but still very stable. The change from the soft stock springs to the standard components in the ZX6 Conversion were also welcomed.

In an odd turn of events, I actually bought this bike back last week (I have problems lol). I am going to rob some of the bits (Magura Clutch, Digital Guard Dawg Keyless ignition, and a few other components) for my FZ-09. I will likely be selling off the fork conversion if anyone is interested:)

Thanks again!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ Whisperer..... ^^^^ that's Righteous!!! :bow::bow::bow:

Sad to see its coming apart! You do need help! :spank::spank: