Tank bag or backpack

djsegura

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to figure out what everyone uses. On my old bike I used a tank bag and it worked out great. But now with the FZ6 my old tank bag just doesnt fit or look right, I think cause my old bike had a fairly flat top on the tank and on the FZ it just looks funny and akward. I dont carry alot but I need something. Usally just carry my lunch when I ride to work or on rides I like to carry extra clothes, water bottles, and tools. Any suggestions would be great and also recommendations for tank bags that look good and still can serve its purpose.

Thanks

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Cortech medium tank bag and Joe Rocket small tank bag. Both are acceptable for commuting to work or for spirited riding. I think your situation depends on preference. A tank bag is nice because you can easily access your gear without a lot of fuss. Keep it medium to small in size and you'll be fine.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually use both when riding to work. My Bags Connection tank bag stays on the bike all the time, and so far hasn't been messed with (Utahns, outside of the Legislators, are pretty honest); I use it to carry my notebook to meetings and Newsweek with me to lunch.
My backpack carries my gym clothes, for use after work. It's nice that it "walks in with me" after dismounting, and I don't have to bother to carry it while going to meetings/lunch.

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
I just backpack it. No need to spend extra money plus I dont like having something on the tank. Just seems awkward. I dont carry much of anything except something to drink and eat so the backpack works well for me.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't mind using a tailbag by the Cortech sport tail bag that works with the sadlebags as well. thats what I use when I do day trips or run to work on my FZ is holds alot of stuff .

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a tankbag that fits well and was using it for commuting, but eventually started using a backback instead. I just find it easier than lugging around the tankbag and my helmet when I get where I'm going. I think for light touring the tankbag is at its best.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the icon Tank/Backpack, its like $100, but its nice, works perfect as a tank bag, and even better as a bookbag..

iconbag.jpg

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BACKPACK!!!save your tank from the scratches! i'ts what I use got an underarmor backpack.never had a problem with it and you can fit a case of beer in it!I know for a fact because I've done it!:D (I NEVER DRINK AND RIDE AND IF YOU DO YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DIE):spank::iconbeer:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a backpack if I ride to work because it holds my laptop and camera.

I also have an Oxford tank bag that I use for outings and on holiday because it saves Mrs Andz having to wear a backpack all day.

IMG_2176.jpg

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't mind using a tailbag by the Cortech sport tail bag that works with the sadlebags as well. thats what I use when I do day trips or run to work on my FZ is holds alot of stuff .

+1!

I use the Cortech tailbag daily. We're a trusting bunch up here so it even stays on the bike while I am in the office, full of my rain gear, tools, air compressor, etc... Unless it looks like rain, then it comes in so I can suit up for the wet ride home. :thumbup:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a small cortech, too. I just don't use it much. I will if I ever tour on the FZ6. I live in a place where anything "soft" left on my bike=gone. I use a givi hard topcase. Ugly but more secure.

I've worn a backpack but it just didn't feel comfortable. And it seemed to add to the fatigue factor on longer rides.

Have you considered a smaller tail bag? I had one on my last bike that could swallow a fair amount of stuff.

No one has mentioned it, but what about the potential for a backpack to cause the wearer to tumble weird in the event of an unplanned separation from the bike? Though I guess if it had nothing but soft-ish stuff in it, it might squish down and maybe even provide padding. Just wondering aloud...

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I have (and use) both a tank bag and a backpack, it just depends on how much stuff I need to carry, what the weather is looking like (my tank bag stays drier, and if it's cold, the backpack is extra insulation). I also have saddlebags for touring-type situations.

So, I guess my short answer is, get whatever you are comfortable with. You can get inexpensive or costly options of either...

bradms38

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Yamaha accessory low profile tank bag that is magnetic in addition to having a quick realese strap. It doubles as a tankbag w/clear map window and has straps to convert it to a backpack. Best of both worlds.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
My Nelson Rigg expandable tank bag is easily converted to a backpack. I'm still taking college courses, so it's perfect. I go to work and I can put my books and shoes in it with room to spare. Then ride to class and hook the straps on and walk into class.

As far as scratches go....eh...who cares? When it comes to my FZ6, utility is king.

P

pengellyb

I have a Joe Rocket (manta) tank bag it works great. I used a 3m clear protective paint film on the tank to prevent any scratches and it is completely invisible and will not yellow. I have been known to use a backpack aswell, I. Also have hard panier cases by Kappa, my ride has tonnes of storage !!!

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be getting a bagster tank protector, because it looks good and when I get aruond to a bit of touring I can whack a bag on with no problems!

At the minute though, I use a backpack from work that a local supermarket sold as they occassionally do motorbike products, it's awesome, it has a cargo net on it, a waterproof cover in a pocket, holder inside for a laptop, and pouches on the straps and belly strap plus it also looks like a Knox back protector!