Tailgate joins FZ Krash Klub

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Now with photos: Tailgate joins FZ Krash Klub

Well, to my great surprise, I krashed yesterday, 8/12/2008, while on a steep part of cable car/vehicle shared, California Street, in San Francisco. I just entered a new block on the right side lane (2 lanes my direction) and the street surface immediately changed to a new-looking concrete. Okay. There was a steet repair crew at the bottom of the block at the intersection in my lane so I turned my bars left to enter the other lane (which the cable car also uses). Before I knew what was going on, krash! My front wheel suddently slid out from under me and I went down. It was too late; I hadn't noticed that there was a dramatic unequal street level difference between the two lanes/sides of the same direction of the street.(maybe the only block in SF where this is, is it slated for asphalt overlay?)I went down on my left side, slid for a while. Sh...t! One of the street repair dudes at the bottom ran up to me and helped my upright the bike. Talk about a absolutely crap/suck feeling! After a minute or so of getting oriented I managed (I'm on a fairly steep SF hill) to get my bike out of the cable car/vehicle (both share the lane) way. The cable car operator was courteous and had only rang his ding bell a one timess while up the block and was politely reminding me that I was holding up his cable car loaded with tourists/passengers. OMG, after almost 7K miles on my FZ6 I managed to crash/drop it! I thought that I was invincible. Last time I went down on a bike was in the 1970's. Now, for the positive: I was riding in near full gear. Tactical boots, mesh riding jacket, and kevlar enforced denim jeans, summer weather gloves. My left glove took a slight scrape (and saved my palm, fingers!) and my left boot took a scrape on the top side. I have two small, insignificant abrasions on my left knee because the kevlar knee enforcemenmt on the jeans somehow managed to shift during the incident so it didn't really protect me. But now, for the really positive news: my frame sliders greatly mitigated my FZ6 damage! I am SOOO glad that I had switched the longer slider to the left side (incorrect manufacturer directions re this). I took very, very minimal damage to the cherry condition FZ6. A slight scrape on the left engine case, a bent gear shift arm ($13 or so), and a minor scrape on the left-side faring. I'm going to get a new shift arm, find Yamaha Team Blue spray can match/touch up and simply touch up spray paint the faring and thank here everyone on FZ6-Forum for having drilled the importance of frame sliders into me! I am actually almost happy after the incident since the frame sliders mitigated, I'm sure, much of what would have otherwise been significant damage to the engine casing and faring, grab bars, etc. I consider myself lucky!

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this with us! Glad to know that all that gear paid off for you and you've greatly minimized your crash! Kudos to you! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok, glad to see your Sliders did their gig, and am most definitely glad you were wearing decent gear.

Yet another great example of damage minimilisation, through the use of decent gear, and those good ol' Frame Sliders....damn fine invention those sliders!

Thanks for sharing.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That's rough...glad you're ok. :thumbup:

Chicago will reimburse you for damaged caused to you vehicle by unrepaired roads and/or construction. Anyone know if SF does anything like this? Longshot but...

I'm moving there and have often pondered what it's going to be like to traverse some of those steep hills/intersections. I'm not worried about stalling or anything, I'm worried about off-camber slow speed manuvers and rough/wet/slick surfaces in traffic. I'm thinking being 6'3" will help matters but shyt. I'll definitely pick my routes carefully when leaving the city 2up.

Good thing you were wearing "NEAR" full gear. Next time wear FULL gear! ;) Sorry, I can't resist.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it wasn't significant for you - but it was embarrassing. I hate that!:(

Also happy about the report that your frame sliders worked well - cause I just ordered a set of what you have (T-Rex) yesterday & was wondering if they were ok.
Sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Chicago will reimburse you for damaged caused to you vehicle by unrepaired roads and/or construction. Anyone know if SF does anything like this? Longshot but...

I'm moving there and have often pondered what it's going to be like to traverse some of those steep hills/intersections. I'm not worried about stalling or anything, I'm worried about off-camber slow speed manuvers and rough/wet/slick surfaces in traffic. I'm thinking being 6'3" will help matters but shyt. I'll definitely pick my routes carefully when leaving the city 2up.

Good thing you were wearing "NEAR" full gear. Next time wear FULL gear! ;) Sorry, I can't resist.

Yes i did think straight away that those Kevlar reinforced jeans are great, but are no substitute for leather, or textile pants, with built in knee sliders. Once that material grabs the road surface, they slip up or downwards, and leave you a bit exposed. Still think snug fitting leathers are the best option, less slack in them to move about when sliding.

Sorry, i could not resist either after reading Defyinertia's post!

timbo

Reaction score
Visit site

Is that true that Chi-town will reimburse you? I wish I'd known that two days ago! I live in hyde park and the contruction here means there's constantly those giant metal plates laid on the ground to cover holes. I turned a corner and one that was covered in a thin layer of dirt and next thing I know I was lying on my side next to the FZ. I couldn't have been going more than 10-12mph. About 6 construction workers came out of no where and started sweeping furiously. (I'm assuming they were worried about getting in trouble for not making sure the metal plates are kept from being dirty = slick). Wasn't dressed for the fall but came out of it with a scuffed T-shirt and a bruised palm, thank God. The engine got scuffed, but I think some black hi-temp paint will make it un-noticeable. Unfortunately I've gotta go to the suburbs, cuz Mayor Daley won't allow spray paint to be sold in the city. Oh, and frame sliders are on order today! There wouldn't have been a lick of damage with those babies...
The moral:
1. Get frame sliders
2. Watch out for those @#^$ metal plates!

W

wrightme43

Glad your both ok. Bummer about the bikes, but at least the damage is minimal.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes i did think straight away that those Kevlar reinforced jeans are great, but are no substitute for leather, or textile pants, with built in knee sliders.

Agreed, but I was more focused on the boots and gloves. Personall choice, and the guy has obviously been riding longer than me, not trying to thread jack.

Is that true that Chi-town will reimburse you?

Yes...they talk about it on the news during late winter every year when the potholes are horrible. I'm sure you can find it on the muni website somewhere...probably a biotch to file a claim but you never know until you try. There are probably threads about it on chicagolandsportbikes.com

When are we going riding?

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
kevlar enforced denim jeans, the jeans somehow managed to shift during the incident so it didn't really protect me.

What brand/model of Jeans are these...I am wanting to pickup a pair for my 1 mile commute, and don't want a pair that will shift...not sure if that is all of them, but I am interested in real life experiences.

Ben

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you came out with minimal issues all around. :thumbup:

Sliders I have, but boots and pants I don't. They are next on my list and I keep reading about these crashes lately so I think A sooner rather than later approach is best. Since you are wearing them I will ask. The Kevlar lined pants, if you had a hip pad and the Icon knee/shinguard that I wear would you have been good to go otherwise? I ask because that is what I was leaning towards. Group: I realize Leather is best for abrasion, and cost should not override safety but right now I would rather put the money towards a better pair of riding boots (Sidi Vertigo's) and like I mentioned I have the Icon pads for my legs. :hijack: Sorry to hijack but was looking for your opinion on the pants more than anything.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

DefyInertia: Yeah, by coincidence, I was talking maybe filing a claim with the city over this. I thought it very odd that this steet had the different level lanes...possibly some pre-final construction business? But, you know, probably more trouble than it's worth. I may go back and take photos and explore the rest of cable car system steets and see if this is the only block in SF like this. At any rate, I will have to be more vigilant in assessing street surface conditions!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
What brand/model of Jeans are these...I am wanting to pickup a pair for my 1 mile commute, and don't want a pair that will shift...not sure if that is all of them, but I am interested in real life experiences.

Ben
PrayHarder: I purchased through NewEnough; there was a promo (clearance) on them a few weeks ago. Brand: Teknic "Warrior Men's Jeans" Around $60. Kevlar re-inforced knees and bottom. I should have ordered the "short" length, standard are kinda too long in legs (I'm 5ft,11in)
BlkParade: Yeah, too bad the kevlar doesn't go all the way around at the knees and more vertical coverage on my pants. Slight abrasion on jeans near the BACK of the knee side while my scrape/abrasion occurred on my actual knee (because jeans had shifted during my fall).

Last edited: