swingarm slider install question

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a dumb question but as I cant find what I need with the search, how do I install spool/swingarm sliders? They came with little screws that dont fit anywhere and the sliders did not come with instructions. They dont fit in or over the swingarm bolt and I cant find where they bolt up. Any one have any ideas? Maybe I got the wrong ones?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
you probably got the wrong ones.
they usually come with a bar that goes through the axle.
the spools screw into the bar.
the fz6 does not have a spool tapped swingarm.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, mine look like this: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer Axle Sliders 2007

So, I'd go with wrong ones too.

I have the same Motovation setup for my '05. Looks great :D

This might be a dumb question but as I cant find what I need with the search, how do I install spool/swingarm sliders? They came with little screws that dont fit anywhere and the sliders did not come with instructions. They dont fit in or over the swingarm bolt and I cant find where they bolt up. Any one have any ideas? Maybe I got the wrong ones?

You can install regular threaded spools on your swingarm with some serious modding (this is controversial). Instructions on how can be found here: Installing swingarm spools on your FZ6 - Sportbikes.net

Otherwise, get the through the axle ones. Just know that with this setup, you need a rear paddock stand with a padded swingarm lift if you want to do any serious work to the rear end (otherwise you must rely on the centre-stand).

Good luck! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same Motovation setup for my '05. Looks great :D

You can install regular threaded spools on your swingarm with some serious modding (this is controversial). Instructions on how can be found here: Installing swingarm spools on your FZ6 - Sportbikes.net

Otherwise, get the through the axle ones. Just know that with this setup, you need a rear paddock stand with a padded swingarm lift if you want to do any serious work to the rear end (otherwise you must rely on the centre-stand).

Good luck! :thumbup:

Also, The swingarm for 07 and newer is different so above approach can't be used on newer ones :(
Only option is to tap and screw the bolts right in.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, The swingarm for 07 and newer is different so above approach can't be used on newer ones :(
Only option is to tap and screw the bolts right in.

Can still use the padded swingarm lift like this:
2007_Vortex_Rear_Stand_Black.jpg
so you don't need tapped spools per se. You could just get the through-axle sliders.

This lift can lift from swingarm spools (top of pic), or by using the padded portion along the underside of the swingarm itself (bottom of pic). No mods necessary... :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can still use the padded swingarm lift like this:
2007_Vortex_Rear_Stand_Black.jpg
so you don't need tapped spools per se. You could just get the through-axle sliders.

This lift can lift from swingarm spools (top of pic), or by using the padded portion along the underside of the swingarm itself (bottom of pic). No mods necessary... :thumbup:

Yup, but from what I've read (no personal experience with this), using spools is much more secure and it's not recommended to leave the bike up on non-spooled stand (say for storage).
Axle sliders are simple enough to bolt on, but using the kind which also doubles as spools for lift is relatively pointless, in my opinion, since you can't remove rear wheel that way. Fine for lubing the chain though.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, but from what I've read (no personal experience with this), using spools is much more secure and it's not recommended to leave the bike up on non-spooled stand (say for storage).
Axle sliders are simple enough to bolt on, but using the kind which also doubles as spools for lift is relatively pointless, in my opinion, since you can't remove rear wheel that way. Fine for lubing the chain though.

I find this type of stand much more secure that the center stand when used in conjunction with a steering stem/front fork lift. It's rock steady. This allows you to have the through-the-axle sliders, and be able to remove them when doing rear end work requiring removal of the rear wheel. I was never a fan of drilling and tapping my swingarm... I will concede that a paddock stand using factory tapped swingarm spools would probably be more stable, but I have stored my bike all this winter with the Vortex steering stem, and padded swingarm stands with no perceived issues...

I guess it's a trade-off for what the OP wants. Ease of rear end work, but heavy modifications in tapping or replacing his swingarm, or purchasing a specific stand and having to remove an axle mounted set of sliders...

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question along the same line, albeit at the other end of the bike.

Does anyone know of a set of FORK sliders that work with the R6 forks? I remember seeing some a while back, but I can't find a link to them now.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find this type of stand much more secure that the center stand when used in conjunction with a steering stem/front fork lift. It's rock steady. This allows you to have the through-the-axle sliders, and be able to remove them when doing rear end work requiring removal of the rear wheel. I was never a fan of drilling and tapping my swingarm... I will concede that a paddock stand using factory tapped swingarm spools would probably be more stable, but I have stored my bike all this winter with the Vortex steering stem, and padded swingarm stands with no perceived issues...

I guess it's a trade-off for what the OP wants. Ease of rear end work, but heavy modifications in tapping or replacing his swingarm, or purchasing a specific stand and having to remove an axle mounted set of sliders...

That is great to know! That'll be my next bike related purchase (and the center stand will be coming off)!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question along the same line, albeit at the other end of the bike.

Does anyone know of a set of FORK sliders that work with the R6 forks? I remember seeing some a while back, but I can't find a link to them now.

What year forks? Motovation sells a set for the R6. Here's what they say:
Fork Sliders For Yamaha YZF1000 R1 2004-09 and 2006-2008 R6 new body style only

These fork sliders are specially made for the Yamaha R1 2004-09 and the new body style 2006-2008 R6. Utilizes a special stainless steel adapter that the sliders mount onto. The fit and finish is specific to the bike that they are made for.

Is the "new body style" the R6S? If so, here's where you can get 'em: Yamaha YZF1000 R1, R6 Fork Sliders 2004-08

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks wolfe1down, but unfortunately they're the standard R6S forks that everyone uses on the FZ6 (mine are off a '07 R6S). They're not the USD forks of the newer R6 or R1.

I did find one option.

Yamaha FP0014BK Fork Protector

The shipping isn't bad to North America either. The total, with shipping, would be about $56 US. I may have to pull the trigger on these soon!