Suzuki s40 Boulevard to a FZ6 - is this crazy

Ashlin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider (and new to this forum) and bought a Suzuki S40 Boulevard to learn on. Getting more confident everyday on the bike and am really starting to enjoy myself.

One problem...

I've fallen in love with the FZ6 -

I love the look, the riding position, the smoothness (mines a bit of a clunker with one cylinder), the pick up I should have as cars try to run me off the road.

So I've been thinking of trading up at the end of the summer or early next spring (after I do the MFS course and get confident and comfortable enough for long trips.

Is this a crazy thing to do?

I'm not a speed demon. I'm not interested in flying around corners.

But I would like a good looking sportish-standardish-touringish-sexyish type of bike.

So, is that reasonable?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
OK...
So I upgraded to an 04 FZ6 after random standards as a kid and most recently a 200cc scooter...

The thing I found most challenging was a very short clutch...
Took about two weeks (and a stall or two a day) to get used to. After that the bike seemed smaller to me...

The great thing I find about the FZ6 (only had mine since January) is that it's a real Jekyl and Hyde... If you keep your revs under 6k the ride is lumpy, but but very manageable... Now that Im more confident, I don't charge quickly up the gears it's a bit louder, faster and smoother... If I want a slower morning I can have that too...

So I personally don't think its all that crazy, but I definitely benefitted from the MSF course and would not be able to get acclimated this quickly without it...
Hope that helps

lewis6681

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the beauty of the FZ... you can make it whatever type of bike you want it to be... it's the swiss army knife of bikes!

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
i'll say ure not crazy, FZ6 is a good bike which provides a little something for everyone....i think you will not be disappoint cause the FZ6 looks sport-ish cause of the sharp features..

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got to disagree with the others a bit. I started on the S40's predecessor the Savage back in 2003, rode it for a year and bought a Vulcan 800, rode it for 4 years and just bought a new FZ6 in April. While I love the FZ and have already put 600 miles on it, I don't know if I would have been comfortable handling it after only a year on the S40. As it is, just moving from a cruiser to the more sporty/standard riding position and the considerably higher COG are a challenge getting used to for me.

Although the FZ can be ridden conservatively under 6K RPM's (as I have been doing during break-in) the throttle and brakes are much more sensitive, the difference in torque doesn't give you the cushion to be in the wrong gear and try to roll on power like you have on the S40, (hell, I could start from a stop in 3rd on the S40, on the FZ I have to make sure I give it enough throttle in 1st gear to get it rolling smoothly). The clutch ( friction zone) is much smaller and grabbier (sic).

Anyway, I'm not saying it's crazy or can't be done, but it may not be as easy a transition as going to a V2 or inline 2 Sport/standard bike like a SV650 or Ninja650. I might even suggest that the FZ6R which has a bit lower COG and HP might be an easier step up.

Just my $.02 having also started on an S40.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
No it’s not crazy.
This is my second season now and FZ6 is the first bike I have rode and learned on. Basically I have taught myself how to ride two week prior of taking the MSF course. It’s an awesome bike, so for you as knowing how to ride bikes already and having experience riding, you will have no problems with FZ6. Just take it easy first couple hours or days, depending on how fast you learn. Get familiarized with the throttle, shifting and braking and you will see that you made a good decision of upgrading to FZ6.

Ashlin

Reaction score
Visit site
No it’s not crazy.
This is my second season now and FZ6 is the first bike I have rode and learned on. Basically I have taught myself how to ride two week prior of taking the MSF course. It’s an awesome bike, so for you as knowing how to ride bikes already and having experience riding, you will have no problems with FZ6. Just take it easy first couple hours or days, depending on how fast you learn. Get familiarized with the throttle, shifting and braking and you will see that you made a good decision of upgrading to FZ6.

This is exactly the same boat I'm in (3 weeks with the bike and am able to ride to work, round trip 30 miles) BUT obviously I'm still a newbie.

I just find the bike a bit clunky and would probably appreciate a bigger engine and smoother ride (lot of vibration).

STILL, I have a lot to think about - and the SV650 is also at the top of the list.

I'm taking the rest of the spring/summer to getting used to riding a motorcycle but am thinking about selling the S40 in the fall or next spring.

At the end of June I take the MSF course.

Ashlin

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, after having said all that - what about the SV650s - the sport version of the SV. Would that also be a bit of a tricky transition?

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, after having said all that - what about the SV650s - the sport version of the SV. Would that also be a bit of a tricky transition?

Well, it’s an OK bike. It’s not fuel injected. Did you look into Ninja 650R 2009 model? This bike I would think would suite you better if you don't want to look at FZ6. My roommate has it and I actually had the opportunity to test it out. It was fun, but nowhere near as fun as FZ6. You have nothing to be afraid of the FZ6. I have spent numerous hours and reviews on all of the bikes you have mentioned and I am so glad I went with FZ6. I am still to find out full capability of my bike. After 7000RPM, she opens up like a dragon on steroids. Now I just can't enough of riding my Fizzer...AKA Blue Hornet as I call it.

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
sportish-standardish-touringish-sexyish

^That's a good description for the FZ6 :thumbup: lol

Obviously everyone is different, but here is my experience...

Last year, around mid riding season I bought my first bike right after I finished the beginner's motorcycle safety course (have never ridden before in my life). It was a 1980 Honda CM400t (400cc standard bike). I'm a pretty quick learner, so I got pretty board with it after about a month (in the mean time, I took it out quite a bit and practiced clutch control, shifting, braking, turning, etc).

I then started looking for another bike and read tons of good reviews about the FZ6. Just like yourself, I wanted a sporty looking bike, but needed it to be comfortable. I found a really good deal by my house from a private owner selling his and I bought it.

Now let me tell you, the first couple rides on it scared the crap out of me because I've never ridden a sport bike. But it wasn't like I felt unsafe, I was just surprised how it got up and took off when I rolled back on the throttle. Yes it is a very powerful bike and you do have to be careful, but it actually is quite controllable. As it's been mentioned countless times on this site, make sure to stay in the lower half of the RPM range until you really get comfortable with the bike in general. As long as you don't tell it to do anything crazy, the bike will listen. I've put at least 2,000 miles on it now, and I have never felt like it is too much bike for me. But again, I respect the machine and always try to stay within my riding ability.

Now this is just my experience. No I wouldn't recommend an FZ6 as a starter bike, and yes I probably moved up to it too quickly, but you also don't have to be riding for 20 years before you can finally "move up" to an FZ6.

As far as an SV650/SV650s goes, I just think the FZ6 is a better bike for my purposes... and maybe yours too. You mentioned "sportish-standardish-touringish-sexyish"... I just think the FZ6 does those things better. If you want to take trips or do any touring, the inline-4 engine will help vs the twin that the SV has. Lots of people say the SV is a fun bike, but the FZ6 is more practical in more areas IMO. Also, the SV650s is definitely not as upright/comfortable.

BTW, TAKE THE MSF COURSE... I know people that have been riding for over 15 years that learned things they never knew!

Hope this helps.

-Taso

Ashlin

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys - you've been awesome

This is hugely helpful. I won't be making a decision for some months but when I do I really want to know my options.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site

I looked at that one too. Kinda preferred the look of it personally. A friend has one and it is pretty tiny compared to the FZ6. PLUS (this is showstopper for me) the model year he has doesn't come equipped with a fuel gauge. That's pretty high on the priority list - knowing when you'll run out of fuel. If you look at SV650, check out if it has a fuel gauge. Otherwise, don't buy it. My first bike had no fuel gauge, so you just estimate via miles travelled, but that highly depends on speed/riding aggressiveness, and it's hard to know how much is left. I ran out of fuel on the interstate once! You don't want that happening - thankfully I coasted to the shoulder. You end up being conservative on miles and significantly cut your riding range. I went riding with my friend who has the SV650 and he almost ran out of gas on our trip due to no fuel gauge.

Check out the SVrider.com site. Its owners aren't as happy as FZ6 owners. Lots of them have it as a track bike, but a lot of general purpose riders are complaining of sore wrists from leaning over too much while commuting.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is my very first time owning a motorcycle. It's also the very first time I've ever been on a motorcycle.

I got my 08 FZ6 3 days after returning from Iraq. I did a great deal of research before I made my purchase. I even had an experienced rider assist me in picking the style and size of my first bike. He's been riding for over 20 years.

As soon as I got it I was practicing and doing all the things he had told me to do and avoiding all the things he told me not to do. By the time my MSF course came around I had practiced every drill/exercise they were going to throw at me. In fact, in my class of 6 I was the newest rider but I ended up being the one who led all the exercises. Both of the instructors were impressed with my knowledge and skill to be such a new rider. It's all about the PRACTICE TIME you put in.

So, the FZ6 can be a first bike. You have to respect it and start off with book knowledge that you practice often. Talking to experienced riders that are not balls to the walls riders will enlighten you as well.

Know the rules, know the bike, know your limitations, and practice keep all these tools in rider mental rolodex.

Sorry for the long reply but just wanted to let you know that if I can ride it as a brand new rider then you can too given the proper prep.

Good luck and take care.
I throughly enjoy riding my FZ6. It turns heads, it's comfy on extended rides, smooth in the city, and a beast on the highway.

DDMacKellar

Reaction score
Visit site
I was a little apprehensive when i decided to go with the Fz6, I have been riding for a year on a ninja 250 and was a little scared to move up in power to a 600. I had confidence in my abilities, but i think just the thought of 5 times the horsepower between my legs was a little frightening. After talking with all my riding buddies, and a few 20+ year veterans i decided to give the FZ6 a go ahead. To be honest it was the best decision i have made in awhile. As stated before the Fz6 is like two different bikes, You keep keep the revs low and ride it slow, or twist the throttle and get the full sport bike experience. Even with the revs low this bike still is ten times smoother then my 08 ninja 250, plus its nice to know the power is still there if you need to punch it to get out of a possible bad situation. Plus the added power is much appreciated by my fiance who really likes to ride 2 up with me. Moving up from the s40 if you are confident in your abilities as i was you should not have any issues. You will hopefully enjoy riding even more like myself.
Hope this helps you a little bit with your decision,
Take care And ride safe!

S

sm00thpapa

Get the FZ6R it looks more bad arse than any 600cc beginner sport bike out there. I was going to get the S40 for my wife but then when I found out it is only 1 cylinder I said forget that. The bike goes crazy after anything above 65 MPH.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is my very first time owning a motorcycle. It's also the very first time I've ever been on a motorcycle.

I got my 08 FZ6 3 days after returning from Iraq. I did a great deal of research before I made my purchase. I even had an experienced rider assist me in picking the style and size of my first bike. He's been riding for over 20 years.

As soon as I got it I was practicing and doing all the things he had told me to do and avoiding all the things he told me not to do. By the time my MSF course came around I had practiced every drill/exercise they were going to throw at me. In fact, in my class of 6 I was the newest rider but I ended up being the one who led all the exercises. Both of the instructors were impressed with my knowledge and skill to be such a new rider. It's all about the PRACTICE TIME you put in.

So, the FZ6 can be a first bike. You have to respect it and start off with book knowledge that you practice often. Talking to experienced riders that are not balls to the walls riders will enlighten you as well.

Know the rules, know the bike, know your limitations, and practice keep all these tools in rider mental rolodex.

Sorry for the long reply but just wanted to let you know that if I can ride it as a brand new rider then you can too given the proper prep.

Good luck and take care.
I throughly enjoy riding my FZ6. It turns heads, it's comfy on extended rides, smooth in the city, and a beast on the highway.

I couldn't have said it much better myself. The FZ6 is my 1st bike and I have no regrets what so ever. The only real riding experience I had was a full days course taught by GREAT instructors (- Christine's KickSTARTLearn to ride motorcycles if anyone is interest - in NY). I practiced for about 3 days and then took my drivers test with no problem. I didn't ride again for over a year (overseas). The next time I rode, I was driving home my new 08 FZ6. I feel 100% comfortable on the BIKE but I respect the bike and go out of my way to be as cautious as possible. I am in no way an experienced rider so take my oppinion with a grain of salt. There are A LOT of people on have a ton of experience on this site so I would definately listen to what they have to say. The bike worked out perfect for me but everyone is different. The most important thing is to do what is comfortable for you.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from riding a 226cc Honda dual sport bike to the FZ6 (Honda=14hp and FZ6=90hp). Admittedly, it did take a few days of riding for me to get aquainted with the fizzer. However, I am very very glad that I got the FZ6 instead of getting a 250 or 500cc bike like I had been considering.
Take it easy on the throttle while you are learning to ride the FZ6, and everything will be just fine.:thumbup:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
My story is similar. Been riding just 9 mos. All this since October:

Went looking at Kawi 900 custom in burnt orange. Talked into Kawi Versys instead by salesman. Was my first bike ever. Rode it about 2 weeks, THEN took MSF course. Decided V was too tall for me at 5'9". Sold the V and bought the 900 Custom (2nd bike ever).

After 2 mos. decided custom was too buzzy at highway speeds. Traded her on a Concours 14 (1400 cc supersport!). But I missed the cruiser, so talked the wife into letting me buy the custom back from dealer, so I had two.

After another couple months decided I ultimately want a big cruiser for passengers and longer trips AND a smaller sport bike. So, I just traded the custom on an FZ6, which I love. So, I have the concours on the Fizzie. I will next sell the C14 and get maybe a Nomad, Venture, Harley or similar.

I'm 45 and conservative, with zero accidents in 30 years of driving. I also compete in defensive pistol at the master level. I have excellent impulse control (um, except spending!). Bottom line is I keep distance for time and space and constantly ask "what if". I also did not take a passenger for quite awhile, but now do and ride even more conservatively with my wife or daughter on.

I think what matters are your personal capabilities and knowing them, then assuming you have about 50% less than you think you do. Ride like you're not supposed to be there because you are not--roads designed for cages. You can learn to ride any bike after awhile, but you can't learn to handle the "Oh $#!T!" moments except by experiencing them, hence the part about keeping distance.

Good luck and ride safe!

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to mention ONE of the best reasons to upgrade to an FZ6...THIS FORUM !!!! you won't get this kind of feedback on an S40 forum(not knocking the bike) or elsewhere for that matter.

Regardless, remember the basic fact...It's not so much the bike as it is the rider:thumbup:

Enjoy riding no mater what you decide!

msfitnetz

Reaction score
Visit site
As a former "Thumper" owner which was my first bike after MSF. I am glad I made transition. The S40 great easy bike to ride but the FZ amazes em each day I am able to ride. I will tell you the first time I test rode ( awesome guy I bought the bike from) it just felt right even though my learning the peg location was not second nature.

I debated between FZ6 and FZR both look great. I went for the FZ6 as it was a little taller and fit me better. Strangely, the other bike that fit my build better was the FZ1 I just hated that side "can" and did not feel ready for a 1000cc yet.

You will find the ride on a FZ or FZR is comfy since it is a sport tourer and decent gas mileage not as great as S40 but not bad.
Before i changed I checked out bikes I liked then checked their available forums. This is one of the Best!!

:welcome: