Suspension preload

Ben17484

Reaction score
Visit site
Apologies if this has been asked 1000 times, but I'm after a bit of help.
I bought a FZS600 over the weekend from someone who was about 5 foot 8 and maybe 11 stone. I'm 6 foot 1 and 13 stone. He had the bike setup with 2 notches showing above the nut on the front:

20170306_130502.jpg

And I'm not sure of the rear as I believe it to be an after market spring:

20170306_134945.jpg

Two questions:

1) What would be the affect of me being taller and heavier and riding with the front preload of 2 notches instead of the recommended 5
2) Can anyone identify (or tell me how to identify) the setting of the rear spring from the above picture?

Cheers,
Ben

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have time for a proper response but the notches really dont mean anything to the rest of us as we have no reference.

It appears both front and rear have been modified from stock. Here are three basic things to keep in mind.

Preload and ride height are not necessarily hand in hand. Preload works on the principle of having the correct springs for bike and rider.

The proper preload (with the correct spring for your weight) suspends the bike but allows each end to settle from fully topped out or fully extended about 10mm. Then when the rider is added, the bike settles another 20mm or so. This is called SAG. Basiclly just sitting on uses 1/5 of its travel...

On the rear coil over shock, your see threads in the picture. That allows you to adjust the preload. If that shock also has a threaded shank at the other end by the swing arm, you may have the option the adjust the ride height independently of the preload (a good thing).

You need to measure the sag, set the preload, and then we can tell you if the springs will work for you. Also look and see if lower end of the shock has a threaded shank and jamb nuts. If it does this may help you raise one end a little.

Please watch the video. Then ask questions.
This is important as setup wrong and it may not be safe to ride....

Read up on setting SAG.

Bike setup vid w/ Dave Moss.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjw4IheeF4
Bike Setup Tech article..... Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Tire wear patterns.... Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes